• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future Accommodation Model

So here it is ladies and gents, the big plan to get rid of SFA in a single infographic. At least they're being honest and admitting this is a cost-cutting exercise!

http://www.raf-ff.org.uk/images/library/files/2236_16SJD_FAM_Infographic_v03_31_Aug_16.pdf

I hope when the survey comes out on the 5th, plenty of people tell them what a mental idea this is. Although I'm sure they'll find a way to massage the results!

http://www.raf-ff.org.uk/newsarchiv...+for+Service+personnel+launching+soon&start=0

Any thoughts, Goaters?!

4everAD

Sergeant
Some really good bits and the flexibility it will provide is what a lot of people have been calling for. However, like PAYD it has the possibility of unintended consequences. Camp life may stagnate, messes die a death etc. As always the devil will be in the detail, it is becoming more like a civvy 9-5 job every year!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Probably won't have a viable solution for another 2 years - I'm not waiting that long, I'm buying a house somewhere I actually want to live, and will commute for the forseeable.

The messes are already dying a death, this will just push them over the edge (not that I'm bothered one bit about that - dinosaur infested old boy's clubs, should have been abolished years ago, they've got nothing to offer future members). Same goes for any sort of community spirit - segregation has already done the damage (probably should have thought about that when the RAF shrank so massively), this will just be the final nail in the coffin. Clubs, committees, all the secondary duty stuff will suffer because people won't be around their Unit during their off time.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Not sure how SAC/PVT on the lowest pay scale and a tribe of bin lids and chavtastic mooses will fit into that as 'SFA may be available' as I'm pretty sure they won't be able to afford to buy, or rent at market rates.

This does seem to me to be a drip feeding of the bad news over a period of time to allow people to get used to the idea, then hit you with the actual detail further down the line. But as said above, the devil is in the detail.....

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That made me laugh. A Headline that satisfaction with SFA is falling? No ****, Carrillion Amey are big contributors to that waste of ink..

briggfairy

Sergeant
This might not be the worst idea in the world, if the forces are moving towards a shorter career model (as per NEM) then getting people to be responsible enough to live off station is consistent with that.

Will it stop some service members getting married for a quarter? maybe it will which isn't the worst result in the world.

one issue that would need addressing though would be the amount of parking on stations, with more people living off camp there will be more people driving in and most camps struggle as it is

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
sick days will be an interesting addition to the model too - if you live on camp and need to call in sick, it's off to the med centre you go for an 0700 parade. but if you live 1, 2 or even 3 hours away and commute, that won't be an option.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
sick days will be an interesting addition to the model too - if you live on camp and need to call in sick, it's off to the med centre you go for an 0700 parade. but if you live 1, 2 or even 3 hours away and commute, that won't be an option.
That probably wont change as they will retain the 50 mile rule regarding those who live out.

As it stands, if someone living out goes sick they should attend their nearest civ doctor to obtain a sick note. Although the likelyhood of this happening in most cases is zero.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

4everAD

Sergeant
So how long do we think free health care will last under this model? With everyone living out in the community I'm sure the next cost saving exercise will be to do away with station medical centres, then the gyms will go as it will be cheaper to subsidise gym memberships. All inevitable I fear as the only thing left on camps will be work areas.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
how long do we think free health care will last under this model?

The next big one, I agree. What differentiates a serviceman from a civilian except the requirement to maintain a prescribed fitness level?

FTRS do not enjoy the entitlement to access to a service medical centre, yet often the families of servicemen do.... is this reasonable? I once went sick at |Cranwell, whereupon the Service doctor enquired for later appointments whether I should be seeing my GP (100 miles away) instead of him?

Interesting obfuscation

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If FTRS had the same entitlement as a regular or mobilised reservist, then they'd cost just as much as a regular so half the reason for having a FTRS in a post has gone.

This will probably cause security, social and welfare issues, however, there are currently security, social and welfare issues so it'll just be different ones that I'm sure will be overcome.

At the moment it's just chatter, wait until you can see what you'll get before real comment is worthy, promises and comes can be very misleading.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Good luck trying to afford a house in the South of England if you get turfed out of SFA. Career planners will also need to be prepared to let people stay in one location. Totally crazy idea getting rid of SFA, glad I jumped ship and many more will follow suit if this keeps up.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I can see it now, the NEM / FAM has come to fruition ...

SAC Bloggs lives with his partner and family in their own home 35 miles from camp.

08-00 Bloggs phones the squadron to tell the Chief that he has got a bad back and won't be in today.

The Chief tells him that he needs a sick note.

Bloggs replies that he will contact his doctor's surgery when they open at 09-00

Surgery reception tells Bloggs that he can have an appointment to see the doctor in 8 days time and he will need to self certify in the meantime.

Bloggs phones the Chief and explains the situation.

What does the Chief do?

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I can see it now, the NEM / FAM has come to fruition ...

SAC Bloggs lives with his partner and family in their own home 35 miles from camp.

08-00 Bloggs phones the squadron to tell the Chief that he has got a bad back and won't be in today.

The Chief tells him that he needs a sick note.

Bloggs replies that he will contact his doctor's surgery when they open at 09-00

Surgery reception tells Bloggs that he can have an appointment to see the doctor in 8 days time and he will need to self certify in the meantime.

Bloggs phones the Chief and explains the situation.

What does the Chief do?
Many people (regardless of rank) currently live out so this can and does happen now.

What I'm assuming downsizer means by "apply common sense" is chiefy says to SAC Bloggs "try and get an appointment with local civ doc as soon as possible but keep in regular contact and let me know what the score is".

Its not what is written in policy but it is common sense and also treating adults like adults.

This situation only causes problems if Line Managers are too worried about imaginary what-if scenarios rather than having the kahoonahs to apply said common sense and act like managers.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It's very easy to pick at one thread in an attempt to unravel progress, the odd day sick here and there is nothing in the big scheme of things, if SAC Blogs starts having too much sick then deal with the issue as a supportive manager just like every Civi line manager has to, if it leads to disciplinary action if abused then so be it.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Where do I get my token from to complete the survey?

The Future Accommodation Model survey can only be completed by current service personnel. When you click on the link to complete the survey you will be prompted to enter a valid token to participate. The token you need to enter is your service number. Once you have entered your service number in the ‘Token’ field then you should press the continue button to complete the survey. For optimum performance you should complete the survey using the Google Chrome browser.