• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG1 Retention again

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I'm going to go a little off the thread topic here but relates to what you're saying.

My son is in the first year of A levels at the moment and as much as I want to push him down the engineer route for available jobs / job security his heart is set on Sports Science. I'm now asking him to consider the RAF (or Navy) and join as a PTI (yes I feel ashamed of myself :ROFLMAO: ). The simple fact is if accepted he can be earning £30k within 6months and have the MOD put him through uni on day release covering most of his costs.

Even if he lives with us in Lincoln and goes to uni here the debt after a 4yr degree course will be £30k minimum (3yr on site, 1yr placement). Also, who the hell wants to go to uni and live at home with Mum & Dad!!!

The sad truth is that unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth Uni is a pipe dream for many, which is possibly the most advantageous thing the forces have going for them recruitment wise right now.. TG1 & 2 or otherwise...

Why is Uni a pipe dream? These days a degree is a minimum for kids - unless going into Forces etc, everyone's got one!

Tuition fee is loaned and maintenance loan is means tested.

The ML however does not even cover accommodation costs, so there is definitely an element of bank of Mum and Dad! Around £2k per year, per child, we have to find. Then there is weekly living costs, they can get a part time job ofc, but they are there to study and get the best degree they can.

Nothing wrong with living at home either, will save cash that way.

But definitely recommend him doing Uni, or like you say, PTI and let the RAF/Navy pay for it :) (please don't let him join the Barmy!)

kawoloki

Sergeant
Why is Uni a pipe dream? These days a degree is a minimum for kids - unless going into Forces etc, everyone's got one!

Tuition fee is loaned and maintenance loan is means tested.

The ML however does not even cover accommodation costs, so there is definitely an element of bank of Mum and Dad! Around £2k per year, per child, we have to find. Then there is weekly living costs, they can get a part time job ofc, but they are there to study and get the best degree they can.

Nothing wrong with living at home either, will save cash that way.

But definitely recommend him doing Uni, or like you say, PTI and let the RAF/Navy pay for it :) (please don't let him join the Barmy!)
I fully get the arguments of non degree qualified people subsidising the education of those who get the degrees (and usually better paid jobs) if it was the old grants system etc but the means tested bit really bugs me. Now I have finally worked my way to a decent wage I want to be overpaying my mortgage ..

Don't get me wrong I'll be doing as you are if he does go to Uni but the forces option is definitely preferable..

I'm going to go a little off the thread topic here but relates to what you're saying.

My son is in the first year of A levels at the moment and as much as I want to push him down the engineer route for available jobs / job security his heart is set on Sports Science. I'm now asking him to consider the RAF (or Navy) and join as a PTI (yes I feel ashamed of myself :ROFLMAO: ). The simple fact is if accepted he can be earning £30k within 6months and have the MOD put him through uni on day release covering most of his costs.

Even if he lives with us in Lincoln and goes to uni here the debt after a 4yr degree course will be £30k minimum (3yr on site, 1yr placement). Also, who the hell wants to go to uni and live at home with Mum & Dad!!!

The sad truth is that unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth Uni is a pipe dream for many, which is possibly the most advantageous thing the forces have going for them recruitment wise right now.. TG1 & 2 or otherwise...
University fees and student loans are not a debt.

Fees cover the year 1 halls, and then got year 2 and 3 they need to consider work beyond uni to sustain living costs, usually in a shared house. Following that, they will move onto life away from the family.

Living at home and uni should not be an option.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
University fees and student loans are not a debt.

Fees cover the year 1 halls, and then got year 2 and 3 they need to consider work beyond uni to sustain living costs, usually in a shared house. Following that, they will move onto life away from the family.

Living at home and uni should not be an option.
My daughter did a NHS degree. Uni was Ipswich, 100 miles away. In Years 2 and 3, she was placed at Peterborough City Hospital, 15 miles away, and attended Ipswich for 5 days a year. She lived at home rather than paying £6k a year for a room she would use for 5 nights.

Are you saying that shouldnt have been an option and she gets even further into debt?

My daughter did a NHS degree. Uni was Ipswich, 100 miles away. In Years 2 and 3, she was placed at Peterborough City Hospital, 15 miles away, and attended Ipswich for 5 days a year. She lived at home rather than paying £6k a year for a room she would use for 5 nights.

Are you saying that shouldnt have been an option and she gets even further into debt?

Yeah buddy, your bedroom? Ah, that's now my office 🤣.

Tbh, I'd have just bought a house, rent it to her for free, get a few other lodgers from the hospital...sell when she's done.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Tbh, I'd have just bought a house, rent it to her for free, get a few other lodgers from the hospital...sell when she's done.
I have a friend who is doing precisely that…. Which his daughter’s Bank account so that she ca pay her loan/debt as soon as possible.