• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG1 Retention again

dctyke

Corporal
No.

Anyone who served at Lyneham may remember the six on six off shift (3 days-12 hrs ea, 3 nights-12 hrs each) which worked well for years and years and years and years.

The simple rule was to get six off, you had to work six on. This meant that if you worked your six on, you got your six days off but if you wanted the next set of six duty days off as leave, you had to put 12 days leave in.

One presumes the same for four on four off.
In days of old happened to the system if you had a station exercise?

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Explain please? Not sure what you mean?

Which part?

SSP - regionalisations of services, leading to intersection moves, more or less work dependant on trade, postings and general unhapiness.

RAF Wittering model - splitting bases into Air Wgs and Air bases.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
where are you getting all these Aviators to work a 4 shift model? allegedly manning on your average frontline Sqn is way less than you think at the moment! Good luck getting people with kids at secondary school age agreeing to 5 years out of the loop. never going to happen.

ERT

Corporal
where are you getting all these Aviators to work a 4 shift model? allegedly manning on your average frontline Sqn is way less than you think at the moment! Good luck getting people with kids at secondary school age agreeing to 5 years out of the loop. never going to happen.

You do know that there are English School's in British Forces Cyprus (BFC), with school buses and all?

Primary - https://www.akrotiri.school/
High School - https://www.stjohnsschoolcyprus.com/

And, its not like there are cheap flights to/from the UK twice a week either (Brize - Aki - Brize), for both people and freight.

Anyhow, it's never going to work, as its a good idea.

They'll be infra issues, the location (medical/dental) probably cannot handle that many families, or they wont have many houses on site available or at Epi.

Project Wavell (2010-2011) looked at making the site go all civi, I dont think much has been put into that place since, apart from the SLAM (near the dog section) and the new houses to replace the old canvas "cheap-as-chips" bungalows. There getting the new passenger terminal and freight hub, showing some sign of perhaps keeping in the near to long term future.

4everAD

Sergeant
You do know that there are English School's in British Forces Cyprus (BFC), with school buses and all?

And, its not like there are cheap flights to/from the UK twice a week either (Brize - Aki - Brize), for both people and freight.

They'll be infra issues, the location (medical/dental) probably cannot handle that many families, or they wont have many houses on site available or at Epi.

Project Wavell (2010-2011) looked at making the site go all civi, I dont think much has been put into that place since, apart from the SLAM (near the dog section) and the new houses to replace the old canvas "cheap-as-chips" bungalows. There getting the new passenger terminal and freight hub, showing some sign of perhaps keeping in the near to long term future.
LOA has nearly halved in the last 3 years, people have been urged to buy their own houses to give their families stability. To buy those houses I bet both parents have to work. So going overseas isn't as attractive as it used to be, we struggle to get any volunteers where I am.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Which part?

SSP - regionalisations of services, leading to intersection moves, more or less work dependant on trade, postings and general unhapiness.

This part.....perhaps it just didn't affect my trade.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Also lets not forget, the Typh Det is an Op. Who wants to be posted to an Op? Sahder gets in the way of the holiday ethos of the permies.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts

Yeah because dragging your wife away from her job and kids away from their friends for 5 years is going to go down like a storm. all for less money, enduring periods where you ain't there as you will be deployed, leaving your wife and kids in a foreign country with probably a typical piss poor support network while renting your house out at home, wife not working etc. maybe a good idea for a young couple with no kids?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yeah because dragging your wife away from her job and kids away from their friends for 5 years is going to go down like a storm. all for less money, enduring periods where you ain't there as you will be deployed, leaving your wife and kids in a foreign country with probably a typical piss poor support network while renting your house out at home, wife not working etc. maybe a good idea for a young couple with no kids?
Most of us did overseas tours like that in the 80's and 90's didn't we?
But I think the point is that today's generations will be much less enthusiastic about it - more wives have better careers that are UK anchored, the patch community ethos has been undermined in the UK, and the incentives to do such tours have been hugely depleted.

vaginator

LAC
LOA has nearly halved in the last 3 years, people have been urged to buy their own houses to give their families stability. To buy those houses I bet both parents have to work. So going overseas isn't as attractive as it used to be, we struggle to get any volunteers where I am.
I’ve been on LOA for the last 4 years and if anything it’s gone up. Depends where you are I suppose.

4everAD

Sergeant
I’ve been on LOA for the last 4 years and if anything it’s gone up. Depends where you are I suppose.
Understood, but in a sunny location in the Eastern Med it has been slashed (but then how else do you keep the whole LOA change cost neutral other than slashing the largest LOA population to improve others????).

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
The hospital went early to mid 2000's - I was on guard at Aki (2005 / 06) when a car screeched up to the gate with some 'refugee's' who were housed at Dhekalia and had spawned their first offspring at the hospital and they insisted their second child would be born in the same place and hopefully they'd get to move to England.
They didn't believe the hospital was gone and they needed to go to Limassol or one of the 3 other hospitals they'd driven by to get to Akrotiri. It took an ambulance from Limassol and a thicket of police (RAF, SBA & Cypriot) to finally get them off the base and to a maternity ward.

ERT

Corporal

TG4 Sgt, 2 children, £30 odd a day LOA.

House back in the UK rented out, therefore nil cost. Just salary, child benefit and LOA. Husband doesn't work. Take home, post tax, £3300 a month. That's enough..

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I saw today that ryanair B1 linies are getting £101k+ at STN. Although I work on helicopters now (thank you SATYS), in 2017 I hired an A330 B1/C at MAN for 85k….