• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Teenage Cadet Defies Uniform Warning as She Has no Fear

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Little bit confused though. In the picture she's wearing a beret with a RAF badge; I thought the spaceys had their own cap badge.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Little bit confused though. In the picture she's wearing a beret with a RAF badge; I thought the spaceys had their own cap badge.
I don't think she is in the Air Cadets, the article mentions Combined Cadet Force (CCF).

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As did members of the ATC and probably still do if that organisation still exists.

Gord,

The ATC do have their own cap badge. Do they still exist as an organisation? I can't remember the exact numbers but there is more ATC cadets than there are serving in the RAF. I'm sure there is a wiki page or two which explains it all...

Last edited:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Every day's a learning day! Must make it a little hard for Joe Public to differentiate between regular Service personnel and cadets though.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Every day's a learning day! Must make it a little hard for Joe Public to differentiate between regular Service personnel and cadets though.

I would differentiate based on mass and a lack of swearing...

Do you think any risk to her has been increased by the Mail's coverage?

Every time I've seen this article, the subject of why does she have an RAF cap badge crops up. She is a CCF (Combined Cadet Force) Cadet and RAF sections of of that organisation are allowed to wear it. CCF's are normally attached to a school, where there is an Army section and a RAF section. Some Schools may even have a Navy/ Royal Marine section depending on the background of the staff.

There are more cadets than regulars, so when Joe Public see someone in uniform the chances are that they are in one of the cadet organisations. Cadet uniforms are exactly the same as regular and the differences are small, just a small brass ATC/VRT on the adult rank tabs. ATC cadets in DPM / multicam should have "AIR CADETS" over the breast pocket and Air Cadet Next Generation Flashes on their sleeves, but to most non service types these would not mean a thing and this may lead cadets open to abuse.

So far my Sqn has not had any problems and our cadets wear their uniforms with pride.

G

Gord

Gord,

The ATC do have their own cap badge. Do they still exist as an organisation? I can't remember the exact numbers but there is more ATC cadets than there are serving in the RAF. I'm sure there is a wiki page or two which explains it all...

By focals you're right, I just had a flash back to my younger days and the cap badge was actually silver, with the albatross wings going drom one side of the badge to the other and actually protruding slightly I believe beyond the circular surround. God that was scary. Looked nothing like the RAF cap badge.

The ATC has lowered the joining age to 12 years. The little people are getting smaller. Small size uniform has always been a problem. Be prepared to see "They'll grow into that" next remembrance Day.