• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Someone has too much time on his hands

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
"The knife and fork should remain in the bottom third of the plate and never be laid down in the top half."

This Git's own imprecise language means that officers' knives and forks will never get above the lip of their plate. They'll starve or move away from eating in their Mess.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Never mind the sandwiches, I cottoned onto his comments about grammar.

War's have been lost due to incorrect use of apostrophe's.

No doubt ILLBW will be along soon to remind us all of how Gulf War 1 nearly didnt take place because of a spelling error somewhere in the build-up documentation....

G

Gord

He does sound a tad up his own arse but he also has some points that I agree with. Keeping in mind that we are talking of eating in a civilised environment and not out in the field.

it bugs the living sh!t out of me the way some people handle a knife and fork. Many people, judging by the way they hold these utensils must feel that they are in the process of digging a ditch or perhaps in a fight to the death with a Grizzly.

Whenever I am out at a restaurant and see the way some people use their "diggin' tools" I feel like going over to their table, slapping them in the side of the head, just to get their attention, then pointing out the correct way to hold a knife and fork which strangely enough is also the manner that requires the least amount of effort on the part of the holder.

I realise of course that I am not allowed to carry out this act of educating the ignorant so I simply sit there and cringe or ask my wife if she will exchange seats with me so that I don't have to look at the buggers.

NO, I don't come from an upper crust family background, my dad was a bricklayer born and raised in Geordieland, my mum, also a Geordie lass, on the other hand was in service to, and at one time a governess of the children of, some of the landed gentry in her younger days and was adamant that we learned how to eat properly as she said you never know when and by whom you will be invited to dinner and you wouldn't want to make an exhibition of yourself.

"Manners maketh man" was also one of her favourite sayings and I believe she was right. At the same time however, I reserve the right to state my feelings regardless of whom it may upset if I feel the other person is being an arse.

I also reserve the right to speak and behave like a proper c*nt on sites like this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: otherwise there's no fun.:wink:

Last edited:
Someone has too much time on his hands

It's clear to me that he's not been affected by PAYD! Are sandwiches the norm these days away on Ex, courses or no power in the Mess for the plebs amongst us?

I appreciate that there are standards that need to be adhered to whilst in the uniform (where and when appropriate) but, Sir, your're a big d1ck!

Last edited:

Odie

Sergeant
I'm pretty sure the Queen doesn't eat her cucumber sarnies with a knife and fork. This looks like one under occupied numpty with enough spare time on his hands to qualify for compulsory redundancy.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I sort of get where he is coming from, because to be fair the mere sight of a junior rank eating makes me feel physically sick...

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Apart from eating Wads with gobbling rods... I Think he's spot on.... Especially the bit about not sitting next to the current incumbant at official functions. I mean, how the hell are the zobs meant to organise their wife swapping parties if Dragon Ops is sitting on your elbow.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
He does sound a tad up his own arse but he also has some points that I agree with. Keeping in mind that we are talking of eating in a civilised environment and not out in the field.

it bugs the living sh!t out of me the way some people handle a knife and fork. Many people, judging by the way they hold these utensils must feel that they are in the process of digging a ditch or perhaps in a fight to the death with a Grizzly.

I also reserve the right to speak and behave like a proper c*nt on sites like this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: otherwise there's no fun.:wink:

I blame the parents, for the most part. If they sit in front of the TV, not at a table, eating a meal, the kids are going to know no different.
However -
There are some folks with 'something wrong with the hand' who have, after a year or three of practice, managed to use a knife & fork. How they use them may be a matter for the type of meal.
My knife often shot out of my hand when eating (as a kid), because the muscles of the hand didn't (and still don't, to some extent) work as they should. It was compounded by the fact that the knife was/is not exactly 'sharp,' as it were, so cutting some bite-size chunks was /is a trifle tricky.

Digzster

Sergeant
Do I assume from this post that the Orificer's knife/fork/spoon course has been curtailed due to military cutbacks?