• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SJAR - subject ET

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Can anyone advise please?

Subjects SJAR is due and 1 month later they exit the Service through ET. The Subject has worked well and i want to give them the SJAR they deserve, however:

• As per maternity etc, i should not make comment to them leaving the Service ie write the SJAR as if they are remaining in, is that correct?
  • Also, in the potential box, again the same thing? Write as if they are staying in and recommend suitable courses etc?

I'll clarify this with HR over the next few days, but i'm laid up at home, so may as well get some work done!

Last edited:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Can anyone advise please?

Subjects SJAR is due and 1 month later they exit the Service through ET. The Subject has worked well and i want to give them the SJAR they deserve, however:

• As per maternity etc, i should not make comment to them leaving the Service ie write the SJAR as if they are remaining in, is that correct?
  • Also, in the potential box, again the same thing? Write as if they are staying in and recommend suitable courses etc?

I'll clarify this with HR over the next few days, but i'm laid up at home, so may as well get some work done!

Yes, you are correct on both accounts; still time for them to change their minds!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nice to see someone putting in the right amount of duty of care.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
On the face of it, it seems a very pointless task particularly as the subject will, in all probability, not be around to even be debriefed.

Whilst Dan's approach should be applauded, there will be a lot of overworked SNCOs who think like me that this is a complete waste of time and money. However, no doubt this directive has come from on-high. I therefore trust that if the RO's are being made to compile a report, then those at HQ will be made to staff it correctly, pre-board it in 6 months time and if sufficiently high enough, a promotion board will read and grade the individual.

If you are going to waste time and effort, then waste time and effort throughout the whole organisation, and not just at the coal face!

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
That's a fair shout MWD. However, i am happy to still do my bit and even though the subject has not been entirely forthcoming with brag sheet etc (focus is now on civvy st) there may come a time when they want to go FTRS etc (they require previous SJARs i believe) or may even come off the board!

Also, rescinding PVRs is a thing now, especially in my trade. Only recently a FS rescinded his and was accepted during their terminal leave - got the role and posting of their choice too!!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's a bit like writing an SJAR for someone promoted and posted.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Should be written as though they are staying in.

Of course, what you are able to write will depend on what they have given you in terms of a boast/brag sheet. If they are out soon then have they bothered?

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Also, the individual may rejoin or rescind the ET. You are doing the right thing by completing the report properly.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Are the RAF desperate for people to rescind their PVRs now - I thought once you hit the button, that was it.
You would be surprised how desperate they have got! i know a couple of lads now that have been contacted after they have pushed the 9 clicks to freedom to be asked what would it take to change your mind, and both got what they wanted.

unruly1986

Sergeant
You would be surprised how desperate they have got! i know a couple of lads now that have been contacted after they have pushed the 9 clicks to freedom to be asked what would it take to change your mind, and both got what they wanted.

Rightly or wrongly you can ET, take the money and run, then join back up 12 months down the line. You keep the lump sum, but the monthly amount stops until you leave 'again'.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Rightly or wrongly you can ET, take the money and run, then join back up 12 months down the line. You keep the lump sum, but the monthly amount stops until you leave 'again'.

Does that not affect final pensionable amounts? Only asking not because I have any intention of joining back up (as I'd rather lean against my dad to get him deeper inside my mum) but just genuinely interested.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Does that not affect final pensionable amounts? Only asking not because I have any intention of joining back up (as I'd rather lean against my dad to get him deeper inside my mum) but just genuinely interested.

Sorry, I don’t know. I believe that there is a dedicated ‘rejoiners’ website which might have the info. Sounds like a tricky one as to the best of my knowledge the RAF cannot provide you with pension advice. How they work it out for those coming back in is anyone’s guess.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Yes, you are correct on both accounts; still time for them to change their minds!

I absolutely agree with HS, particularly if they have served you, their work place and the wider RAF well, during the reporting period. And whilst I appreciate the pragmatist's approach of MWD I very much doubt that any significant time is really wasted, and lets face it there is considerable waste in HM Forces (like any other public sector)

As an aside on a personal level who knows what may happen in future, this guy who has taken ET may work for you, or vice-versa; So the mantra of 'what goes around ; comes around' may come true

you keep your lump sum but stop getting your monthly pension and have to pay whatever you commutated until you are 55 (so if it works out you commutated 100per month from your pension you have to pay that back each month). your pension starts ticking again and you get the difference at the end of your service between what you would have got if you never left minus what you already had.