• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scale of defense cuts..

G

Goober

Seems like you guys got it right about Lossie being turned into an Army base. Also I want to know what the hell this all means for me, as I am trying to join the regiment as an officer? If Lossie and Wittering go where do 51 sqn and 3 sqn go? Also with so many planes being cut surely there will be less airfields needing defense.
Special Forces seem to be the only ones who have come out of this well.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Seems like you guys got it right about Lossie being turned into an Army base. Also I want to know what the hell this all means for me, as I am trying to join the regiment as an officer? If Lossie and Wittering go where do 51 sqn and 3 sqn go? Also with so many planes being cut surely there will be less airfields needing defense.
Special Forces seem to be the only ones who have come out of this well.
Well.... the Rocks will loose a Sqn and recruitment will be slowed down across the service... So for you it means you might not get in for a while if at all...
For me and all the guys and gals at Kinloss and my friends down at Wittering i think it means a hell of a lot more!!!!

Page 27 of the report; VC10 to undertake air-to-air refuelling only and to be binned by 2013, TriStar to start being withdrawn from 2013.

Tyson

SAC
I was at the brief at Cott today and Wittering closing wasn't confirmed, whilst AOC 1 group didn't say it was going to stay open he did mention the A4 thingymajig a few times as a reason to keep it open.

Need a job somewhere else now, I can't see from the later revelations where all the people from Cott can be posted to. Is anywhere undermanned at the moment?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Need a job somewhere else now, I can't see from the later revelations where all the people from Cott can be posted to. Is anywhere undermanned at the moment?

Cosford is always willing to welcome new instructors into the fold, just so long as it doesn't balls up my choice of escape.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I was at the brief at Cott today and Wittering closing wasn't confirmed, whilst AOC 1 group didn't say it was going to stay open he did mention the A4 thingymajig a few times as a reason to keep it open.

The brief that I printed out at work said the future of Lossie, Leeming and Wittering depended on where JSF was to be based.

Tyson

SAC
Cosford is always willing to welcome new instructors into the fold, just so long as it doesn't balls up my choice of escape.

Now it's not moving to Saints I'd be more tempted, if I can get my third I think I'd go for being a mentor rather than a teacher to be honest.

Tyson

SAC
The brief that I printed out at work said the future of Lossie, Leeming and Wittering depended on where JSF was to be based.

Fingers crossed for Leeming for me:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Although with the normal rate of stuff coming into service, I'm sure I'll be long gone before we get any.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Go on. Someone must know.
What's the point of an Aircraft Carrier with:-
No aircraft, (Helicopters don't count),
Nothing flying above to see what's about.

Have I missed anything chaps ?

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer

Not really. There's a lot of detail yet to be worked out but the brief is that we are taking a long-term view. All will be good from 2020. Honest guv.

On a serious note, we have challenging times ahead of us. No-one is pretending that the results are good but, as has already been said, it could have been a helluva lot worse.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
To be honest, in the (nearly) 18 years I've been in, I've seen these reviews come and go and they've never really affected me or anyone else too badly - I know we've lost some stations, Germany, etc, but all in all, it's not been enough to make me lose any sleep. And this one won't either. All I ask is, in the twilight of my career, that my money doesn't get touched. Leave my pension and gratuity alone. That's all I need. The government can do what it bloody well wants, just leave my money alone....please.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
To be honest, in the (nearly) 18 years I've been in, I've seen these reviews come and go and they've never really affected me or anyone else too badly - I know we've lost some stations, Germany, etc, but all in all, it's not been enough to make me lose any sleep. And this one won't either. All I ask is, in the twilight of my career, that my money doesn't get touched. Leave my pension and gratuity alone. That's all I need. The government can do what it bloody well wants, just leave my money alone....please.

You were saying?... I was distracted by your avatar...I got wood!:pDT_Xtremez_35:

In all seriousness tho,an 'expert' on BBC news did say the cut's could've been a hell of a lot worse!!

(Mind you,I'm suprised they haven't rolled out John Nichol as yet..)

I birdied the first at St Leon Rot today. A nice start, but unfortunately the wheels came off quite severely after that.

Anyway, whats been in the news today? Anything I should know about?

zyonsbimp

LAC
You were saying?... I was distracted by your avatar...I got wood!:pDT_Xtremez_35:

In all seriousness tho,an 'expert' on BBC news did say the cut's could've been a hell of a lot worse!!

(Mind you,I'm suprised they haven't rolled out John Nichol as yet..)

ITN news at about 2 O'clock today you missed him, trying to look all somber and serious and failing miserably.

G

Goober

Well.... the Rocks will loose a Sqn and recruitment will be slowed down across the service... So for you it means you might not get in for a while if at all...
For me and all the guys and gals at Kinloss and my friends down at Wittering i think it means a hell of a lot more!!!!

the silver lining I can see is they want all changes to be reversible, so it may not be the best job going but I think they will need people to guard the hangars they store the harriers in

G

Goober

Go on. Someone must know.
What's the point of an Aircraft Carrier with:-
No aircraft, (Helicopters don't count),
Nothing flying above to see what's about.

They were cheaper to complete than cancel but will serve no role (except to our allies) until 2018 when the JSF gets going. Then we save money on them by getting carrier versions