• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scale of defense cuts..

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
So, the scale of the defense cuts has come out (about 8%). I think the bigger numbers banded about before were just to make what is a big cut look not as big as it is (it still near enough decimates the services!).

Tonka fans will be pleased to see they are not high on the list to chop – but scarping the Harriers seems a really bad idea to me..

Wonder what the ‘some RAF bases will close” is code for – especially as I didn’t think there were many left! (Hopefully it is not much more than the one already on the slate line Lyneham and Cottesmore).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11556770

And the navy get 2 more boats!!!!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Fair article

Fair article

Leaks a plenty now that a deal has been done, you could possibly add Kinloss to the camp closures, an aircraft type might move into Wittering to keep it going if the Harrier is cut.

As far as leaving Scotland, moving out of Kinloss would allow a little bit more of the Army to come home from Germany and save a few pennies on LOA and such like, perhaps they could have Wittering too, check the small print of the lease first.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
the Army to come home from Germany and save a few pennies on LOA and such like, perhaps they could have Wittering too, check the small print of the lease first.

They're moving into Cottesmore, I'd bet money on it.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
busby you say leaks a plenty please quote me , i want to know where them leaks are .

I just think you are a ****

Edited by SSH as it is not appropriate!

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Leaks a plenty now that a deal has been done, you could possibly add Kinloss to the camp closures, an aircraft type might move into Wittering to keep it going if the Harrier is cut.

As far as leaving Scotland, moving out of Kinloss would allow a little bit more of the Army to come home from Germany and save a few pennies on LOA and such like, perhaps they could have Wittering too, check the small print of the lease first.

Unless a lot of money has been spent redeveloping Wittering in the last few years - I have a doubt that it will be high on the list of camps to save to be honest.

It was getting long in the tooth when I left there a few years back - yes the buildings have a lot of 'character' etc, but they are still getting old and need ever increasing maintenance ..

I have a feeling that like many of the hidden gems of the service world - if the Harriers go, Wittering will probably go with them.... Which will be a shame, as for many people who served there - it really was one of the best postings (particularly when the Mally was open all hours !)

E

enginesuck

There's loads of building work at lossie just now and our sqn building is getting refurbished so I'd say lossie is definitely going to close.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I have a feeling that like many of the hidden gems of the service world - if the Harriers go, Wittering will probably go with them.... Which will be a shame, as for many people who served there - it really was one of the best postings (particularly when the Mally was open all hours !)

Quite a lot has changed at Wittering in the last few years. It hasn't been the 'Home of the Harrier' for a long time, although the plan has been to move them back in when Cottesmore closes. Wittering is now the 'A4 Hub' and houses 85 ELW, 2 MT and 5001 Sqns among others. 3 Sqn RAF Regt also lives there.

Assuming the Harriers are scrapped, I think Wittering is still safe. It does mean that a friend of mine who has been part of the team planning the move of Cottesmore assets into Wittering will have wasted the last 6 months of her life.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Wittering has to be a flying station according to the lease terms from the Burghley estate.

C

Combet Sheep

Maybe thats the capability holiday being banded about - no more ground attack for a while......:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Twiggles

LAC
Unless a lot of money has been spent redeveloping Wittering in the last few years - I have a doubt that it will be high on the list of camps to save to be honest.

It was getting long in the tooth when I left there a few years back - yes the buildings have a lot of 'character' etc, but they are still getting old and need ever increasing maintenance ..

I've always been under the impression that Wittering is one of the safest camps due to the burghley lease. As I understand it (a well bandied rumour at Wittering at least), the terms state that it is to be returned to the same state it was given in, ie farmland. That would mean knocking down everything (including the new slam blocks) plus digging up a heck of a lot of soil and replacing with new top soil in order to guarantee it is not contaminated. In short, it's cheaper to keep the place open.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Maybe thats the capability holiday being banded about - no more ground attack for a while......:pDT_Xtremez_42:

I'm almost sure the gap we are going to accept long term is for MPA...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Last edited:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've always been under the impression that Wittering is one of the safest camps due to the burghley lease. As I understand it (a well bandied rumour at Wittering at least), the terms state that it is to be returned to the same state it was given in, ie farmland. That would mean knocking down everything (including the new slam blocks) plus digging up a heck of a lot of soil and replacing with new top soil in order to guarantee it is not contaminated. In short, it's cheaper to keep the place open.

That's a lease a lot of WW2 camps come under which is why a lot of them end up staying within the government. Colt is a prison now and a lot of camps have gone to to the Army in the past. They want to bring the Pongos back from Germany so no camp is safe really.

snowball1

Sergeant

This is the rumour at pretty much every camp, has any camp been 100% returned to farmland since the war?