• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF prejudice towards single personnel

I have a bit of a gripe that I want to get off my chest. I am a serving airman who is single. I live in the block and are subjected to frequent 'station commander' and 'SWO' inspections of my block and room. Ok I understand the rules of the military and the fact we have to take a lot of bull**** but why am I as a single serving airman subjected to regular inspections where I can potentially get charged or disciplined on an untidy room, no television licence, etc when married personnel, also living is service accommodation ARE NOT subjected to regular inspections and will never be put in a position where they could be charged or disciplined for untidy accommodation. Can someone currently serving as an RAF discip please inform me why single personnel are currently predjudiced against just because they live on camp :)

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

I'm of the generation when the boss says i need to work late, weekend, detached etc i get on with it - any personal problems are just that, my problem. I signed on the dotted line, i know where the door is if i don't like it etc.

In my place of work i see it day in day out from the younger generation - i can't work late, i can't deploy there etc etc and this seems to be accepted to a certain degree.

Is this the wrong mentality for the military or have i been wrong all these years?!

A while ago i would have said to the poster, you're in the military, those are the rules, but now i am not so sure - does he have a point?

Like I said. I am an old school type of airman and I understand that bull**** comes as part and parcel of being in the forces. I expect my room and block on camp to get inspected and if I do not adhere to service rules and regulation on standards then I could face disciplinary action. But my problem is why am I as a singley living in service accommodation subject to routine SWO and Station Commander inspections with the potential of being charged when married personnel living in service accommodation ARE NOT. Is it a case of the military doesn't want to trouble married personnel and their families so pick on single personnel living in the block. Seems a bit predjudicial to me.

gray

Sergeant
March outs were a pain though when the Families Officer turned up with white gloves !!

I've lived in both, and the duty of care required for younger singlies has to be applied across the board...

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
A few on here may remember at Bruggen many many years ago there was a major outbreak of gastroenteritis (or something similar), where it originated, I don't know but communal living meant that it was harder to control.

So a married serviceman is subject to one 'march out' inspection when he gets posted and as to move out of married quarters whilst a single serviceman is subject to one 'march out' inspection when he gets posted or moves block and also has to contend with an average of 1 SWO or Station commanders inspection every 3 or 4 months with the potential of getting charged if he or she fails to meet service standards or rules.

Also you will find a lot of single personnel are NOT young singleys. I am 35 and living in the block. I know of married personnel younger than me, straight out of training an straight into married quarters at their first posting.

The whole system of SWO and Station Commander inspection is currently biased and needs investigating and measures taken to ensure that married perssonel in service accommodation are also getting their fair share of inspections and disciplinary action too.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Block inspections are probably a hangover from when most people shared a room, therefore a requirement to ensure that certain unsocial habits were kept in check.

God knows why they still happen.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I'd say that you are subject to inspections because it's a communal living area whereas whatever goes on in SFA only affects those who live in the house. Should SFA occupants start living like Gypos then the landlords will be on their back similar to the SWO on a singly in the block.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Like I said. I am an old school type of airman and I understand that bull**** comes as part and parcel of being in the forces. I expect my room and block on camp to get inspected and if I do not adhere to service rules and regulation on standards then I could face disciplinary action. But my problem is why am I as a singley living in service accommodation subject to routine SWO and Station Commander inspections with the potential of being charged when married personnel living in service accommodation ARE NOT. Is it a case of the military doesn't want to trouble married personnel and their families so pick on single personnel living in the block. Seems a bit predjudicial to me.

Prejudicial, oh come on mate please don't jump onto the modern day bandwagon of pulling out cliche cards when things don't go your way! You are trying to compare apples with orange here.
Lets just think about this. Married personnel living with a spouse and children will have those individual exercising some sort of control over the standard the choose to keep their accommodation in. No that doesn't necessarily provide an infallible base that guarantees their MQ is always up to scratch but across the piece it generally does.
Single livers have no such control, they and they alone determine how clean/reesty they keep their accommodation and so the service decrees that to ensure a decent standard is being maintained they insist on routine (less routine these days than they used to be I'll wager) inspections. Yes it assumes everyone is equally likely to let their personal standard drop. Yes its lowest common denominatorism but that's service life all over isn't it?

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Prejudicial, oh come on mate please don't jump onto the modern day bandwagon of pulling out cliche cards when things don't go your way! You are trying to compare apples with orange here.
Lets just think about this. Married personnel living with a spouse and children will have those individual exercising some sort of control over the standard the choose to keep their accommodation in. No that doesn't necessarily provide an infallible base that guarantees their MQ is always up to scratch but across the piece it generally does.
Single livers have no such control, they and they alone determine how clean/reesty they keep their accommodation and so the service decrees that to ensure a decent standard is being maintained they insist on routine (less routine these days than they used to be I'll wager) inspections. Yes it assumes everyone is equally likely to let their personal standard drop. Yes its lowest common denominatorism but that's service life all over isn't it?

You could also say that prepares young singlies for life outside the block when they move on and settle down. A life skill necessary to maintain a home to a decent standard.

Plenty of old school here, which is great. The thing is that there is a massive shortage of personnel, and perhaps YOU need to embrace change. If we do nothing....amazing standards are kept, for fewer and fewer personnel. OR, those old scrotes with all the increments and medals leave and make way for the required generation that will fight the next war.
Sadly, we cannot the recruit the perfect person; they want different things now. Insist on room inspections as a filter means insisting on a much much smaller gene pool...... to the point where nobody wants to join. Oh yes, you clever little people have a solution for that don't you.....'get lively'!!

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Max Reheat and Applecruncher.

Yep, both make good points. Yes, the current arrangement is inconvenient and perhaps a little archaic, but its hardly prejudicial is it? I suppose my main gripe here is seeing the deployment of hyperbolic words like that for situations that really don't warrant it; its so Daily Mail and we see it creeping into every day use to such an extent that nobody seems able to make simple statements or voice minor complaints without over-exaggerating.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
As an aside, I'm in the process of taking my daughter round various universities ready for next September when she goes. The last one we visited charged £4500 per year for a single room with a shared bathroom between 6, or £5500 for an en-suite. This didn't include food.

I believe the current rates for SLA are no more than £90 a month.

Last edited:

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Block inspections are probably a hangover from when most people shared a room, therefore a requirement to ensure that certain unsocial habits were kept in check.

God knows why they still happen.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

From the state I have seen people living in the blocks I'm glad they happen.

The Future Accommodation Model will help you out. It'll be up to you if you want to stay in the block and be inspected (paying more than you are now), or move of base, maybe with your mates. The MoD will even subsidise it for you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Puma

SAC
So a married serviceman is subject to one 'march out' inspection when he gets posted and as to move out of married quarters whilst a single serviceman is subject to one 'march out' inspection when he gets posted or moves block and also has to contend with an average of 1 SWO or Station commanders inspection every 3 or 4 months with the potential of getting charged if he or she fails to meet service standards or rules.

Also you will find a lot of single personnel are NOT young singleys. I am 35 and living in the block. I know of married personnel younger than me, straight out of training an straight into married quarters at their first posting.

The whole system of SWO and Station Commander inspection is currently biased and needs investigating and measures taken to ensure that married perssonel in service accommodation are also getting their fair share of inspections and disciplinary action too.

All you have to do is keep your room and communal areas in decent nick and put up with an inspection every 3-4 months. You get a room, with electricity and heating bills paid, for about £60 a month. You also get a cleaner for the communal areas, you don't get that in quarters.

On the other hand, wives and children haven't signed their life away, so why should they be subject to inspection?

If you don't understand why you get inspections in the block, then you can't have lived in one for long. Thankfully I find that when I come back to my quarter after a weekend away, the missus hasn't shiit in the bath when she was leathered and tried to clean it up with the communal hoover. Upon realising that wasn't working in her small inebriated mind, decided to use it to draw comedy cocks all over the walls. And if she did, I'd know who needs to clean it up and would be questioning whether she was fit to bring up my children.

And what about those who live in their own houses, why should they get away with inspections?

It's your choice, £60 a month + inspections or move out, pay through the nose for rent and gas and electricity. I mean it's only once every 3-4 months.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I left years and years ago. Them days a singly lived in the block for less than peanuts and had as much food as they could eat for, well, less than peanuts.

Since then the singlies complained about paying for food they don't eat at the weekend and now they have pay as you starve in contracted out canteens which serv crap food.

So, were is this going? Private accommodation on camp? Your own room for two, three, four or five times the cost so that you don't have to have inspections every month or so. There will still be restrictions on cooking facilities because of the catering contracts. Oh and who will regulate the cnut with the 500 gigawatt stereo? Perhaps they'll have to introduce ASBO's?

Is a bull night every so often that bad?

norfolkred1

Sergeant
What on earth have you been doing with your money since you left school that means at 35, you are living in a small room with people almost half your age as your neighbours?

Hope the OP is a bean stealer, which will put a different slant on the arguement, if there is still such a thing.