• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF prejudice towards single personnel

I find it a bit disrespectful that some commenters have ridiculed myself living in the block at age of 35. How many JNCOs, SNCOs and even WO's live in single man rooms in blocks and messes at age of 35 or older? A very high proportion of the RAF you would expect?

I find it a bit disrespectful that some commenters have ridiculed myself living in the block at age of 35. How many JNCOs, SNCOs and even WO's live in single man rooms in blocks and messes at age of 35 or older? A very high proportion of the RAF you would expect?

With that in mind how often are rooms in the Sgts mess inspected for cleanliness and valid TV licences?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I think the key issue is that you are of an age and maturity that isn't normally associated with an airman or JNCO living in the block.

You have to bear in mind that a lot of airmen are either in their late teens or early twenties and may, in the majority of cases, have never lived on their own or in shared accommodation. The idea of inspections therefore is, in my opinion, designed to ensure that those living in the block are keeping themselves clean and tidy and are mindful of those who live around them. I would suggest that the examples Sniffer has identified are the exception rather than the norm - but I can say that during my last tour the Sgts Mess I lived in was indeed inspected and we did have a number of domestic evenings beforehand.

However, I would also remind you that here is an expectation that with senior rank comes greater responsibility - and that includes personal responsibility to yourself and those around you. I would also suggest that the Station Commander is more likely to believe that a FS can keep his room clean and tidy than an LAC.

However, while I am not aware of your circumstances fully, I would imagine that you do have options. Back in the 90s I grew tired of constant inspections, so myself and two colleagues rented a small cottage near to the base. yes it was a bit pricey, but between the 3 of us we kept the place going for nearly two years. Have you investigated whether this is feasible?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant

For clarity, I wasn't ridiculing you for living in the block - I was ridiculing you for being single at 35... (but blaming it on your accommodation choices...)

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
I think the key issue is that you are of an age and maturity that isn't normally associated with an airman or JNCO living in the block.

You have to bear in mind that a lot of airmen are either in their late teens or early twenties and may, in the majority of cases, have never lived on their own or in shared accommodation. The idea of inspections therefore is, in my opinion, designed to ensure that those living in the block are keeping themselves clean and tidy and are mindful of those who live around them. I would suggest that the examples Sniffer has identified are the exception rather than the norm - but I can say that during my last tour the Sgts Mess I lived in was indeed inspected and we did have a number of domestic evenings beforehand.

However, I would also remind you that here is an expectation that with senior rank comes greater responsibility - and that includes personal responsibility to yourself and those around you. I would also suggest that the Station Commander is more likely to believe that a FS can keep his room clean and tidy than an LAC.

However, while I am not aware of your circumstances fully, I would imagine that you do have options. Back in the 90s I grew tired of constant inspections, so myself and two colleagues rented a small cottage near to the base. yes it was a bit pricey, but between the 3 of us we kept the place going for nearly two years. Have you investigated whether this is feasible?
Actually I would agree with you there about seeking a flat share or if affordable your own, as the military has to cater for recruits and lower ranks being from a poorer background. Marriage quarters would be the private end do to being generally off base. I think most of the military discipline comes from the Royal Navy on board ships for ratings carrying over to majority services to reflect KR later QR. Married personnel would avoid this due to the uproar imposed on the majority of civilian spouses not signing the military code of conduct as would the offsprings too. There was a code of conduct for married personnel to adhere to maintenance to property covering supplied goods and surrounding. If the married quarter fails on March Out RECOMPENCE for damage is sort.
On another note before I left for pastures new, Married Quarter during the eighties and nineties was under a similar policy of local councils where your gardens must be maintained and the property would be subject repainting in and out covering house repairs report. Hopefully a grown up will confirms unless I have breached QRs OPSECs.
But if you are concerned about being under constant checking weekly bullnights I would if affordable go for the flat off station approach as an adult of certain vintage.

br9mp81

Corporal
one of my first fire calls as a young fmn fresh from catterick,my job was to stand at the door and prevent the local fire crew from entering the AMQ my boss did not want them to see the state of the place,it stank you needed ba sets after the fire was out ffs.

snip Why should I be given disciplinary action for an untidy room snip snip snip so why should my room be tidied for inspection.

You live in one room. If you HAVE to tidy it to the extent it stresses you out this much and are worried about disciplinary action due to the state of it, I am glad you get inspected! Most folk it's a quick extra dust around on the morning of the inspection, because it is their home so they like to keep it tidy anyway.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I had 2 years of fortnightly bull nights as permanent staff at a west midlands training camp in the 80s. It never bothered me (I was nco i/c block) the lads did their jobs. Officer came round on tues morning. I knew I could open anybodies room and it would be spotless. The entire bull night took 2hrs. That block was the cleanest tidiest one I ever lived in.

Ronsuddes

SAC
With that in mind how often are rooms in the Sgts mess inspected for cleanliness and valid TV licences?

In the 70s I lived in 3 Sgts' Messes - Wyton, Masirah and Turnhouse.

The CO's inspection was more involved in how the Mess was run and I think cleanliness was taken for granted.

I assume outstanding works services were progressed. I never had a TV licence check in the Mess.

At the very least though shouldn't Sgt's mess and Officer's mess rooms be checked for TV licences? Everyone with a room, regardless of rank should have TV licences. Why only the Junior ranks face checks and disciplinary action? What about the potential Sgt or Flight Lieutenant potentially breaking the law?

Another thing that gripes me with the way the RAF shows a difference between single and married personnel is if I as a singley get posted I get around £80 in disturbance allowance whereas a married serviceman will get over £1000 in disturbance allowance. If we are going to adopt the same attitude as some of the posters on here then it is a married persons choice to live out so it is their responsibility to cough up the cost of moving when the need arises.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
At the very least though shouldn't Sgt's mess and Officer's mess rooms be checked for TV licences? Everyone with a room, regardless of rank should have TV licences. Why only the Junior ranks face checks and disciplinary action? What about the potential Sgt or Flight Lieutenant potentially breaking the law?

They do get checked and they will face disciplinary action.

Having lived in OM's for prolonged periods on courses, dets etc I can vouch for the fact that I was expected to have a TV licence on display if I had a TV with me and in some Messes that still had Batting staff your room was essentially inspected daily and if there was damage, excessive mess etc then they would report it to the Mess manager who would take it to the PMC.

My biggest bugbear was the individuals that thought it was great to have a dog live them in their room and the look on their faces when they were presented with the deep cleaning bill. The rules are enforced across the board but in different ways but regardless of rank if you are a minger with no TV licence you will be disciplined.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Single people get £80 pounds towards moving the contents of a room which will essentially fit in a large estate car/van which costs about that much to hire.

Married people on the other hand have a family to move the setting up of new utilities, TV, internet, phone etc school uniform for two children. The possible loss of income for months if the spouse works and has to find a new job which also may mean additional costs, setting up new insurance policies for home and for car. I have never been better off when moving and it has always cost me more that my disturbance allowance.

Quite frankly your gripes are wearing thin and as many have said either get married, get a hiring, get promoted, get a life or get out. Stop whining like one of the 'snowflake generation' and do something about it.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Back in the day we used the PFDS or early bird to transport out wordy belongings in tri wall box.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
EXTCWTG3SAC
Another thing that gripes me with the way the RAF shows a difference between single and married personnel is if I as a singley get posted I get around £80 in disturbance allowance whereas a married serviceman will get over £1000 in disturbance allowance. If we are going to adopt the same attitude as some of the posters on here then it is a married persons choice to live out so it is their responsibility to cough up the cost of moving when the need arises.

Respectfully, as a singley living in a block, and on posting, you:

• Wont have to worry about the cost of hiring a removals van or a removal company to move your furniture
  • Wont have to spend time and petrol looking at new schools for kids (assuming you have them)
  • Won't have to conside the impact on your spouse if you get posted; particularly if they are non military and employed locally

In essence, if you are a singley living in the block why would you require anything more?

Munkey

LAC

One of my tasks was to visit the respective accommodation blocks with TV licensing, OM, SM and JRs and ask for proof that they had a TV Licence.

I wasn't the most popular person on the unit :pDT_Xtremez_06:

With all due respect. Those that live in married quarters get subsidised accommodation for there length of stay. Qoute me if I am wrong but a 3 or 4 bedroom house would not cost a married person anymore than £300 a month rental charge. They, as a family would save thousands over the course of a posting compared to living in a private property, especially if they were posted somewhere in the south where rental charges are astronomical. So I am of the opinion that removal costs should be burdened by the family when it comes to moving. After all, they would be able to afford it just the same as the singley guy who may have to move lets say from Oxfordshire to Scotland and have to move a room full of stuff in his car on a budget of £80. It just would not be possible and I suspect when a single person is posted it would take 2 or 3 trips to move his or her gear to his next posting and would be out of pocket.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Why would he need to make 3 trips in his car when he could get boxes packed up and shipped through Supply? There is no way that a singley would have anything like the amount of stuff to move - and if they did, why not do what thousands of seervicemen have done before and take stuff home before they are posted?

El_Boomo

LAC
Again. If you decide to get out of the block and say privately rent. Guess which disturbance allowance you are entitled to

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk