• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PRTC Info

Just got a few Qs about PRTC. I have read all the ones I can find on here but a lot of them are well out of date and I would like to know what the score is at present. I have a month to prepare and I want to be as ready as possible.

MSFT: I have read that you get 3 strikes for hitting the line. Is it true that you can sort of earn these back by catching back up? I've never done a bleep test before. What speed (in KM/H) is each stage? I couldn't find anything specific about this online. My plan to practice this is to set up in a car park nearby, I just need to find a 20m tape measure and some markers...

Is it acceptable to be at the line waiting for a beep, or do I need to touch the line and be on the way back when it beeps? I know I should pace myself but this is for the beginning.

Will I be issued a list of things to take, EG what I should wear and when? I just want to be sure that I don't make a bad impression at all.

I am extremely anxious because I only just shaved through on my sit ups, run was 10 mins and push ups fine.

Thanks in advance.

beowulf

Sergeant
Beep Test:

You aim to be hitting the line on the beep. Going ahead is not in your best interests (and you will get shouted at!) as you don't get to store up "laps" of beeps that you are ahead. The first couple of levels are infuriatingly slow but be patient! You get three warnings when you start to lag but will get those back when you make the next one on time (if you make the next one on time, it can be very difficult in the later sections). On the first beep or two you may fall behind because you have misjudged the timings, that is easy to correct though. Once you get to level 10 and you start to fall off the pace it may well be your score!

HTH.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Just got a few Qs about PRTC. I have read all the ones I can find on here but a lot of them are well out of date and I would like to know what the score is at present. I have a month to prepare and I want to be as ready as possible.

MSFT: I have read that you get 3 strikes for hitting the line. Is it true that you can sort of earn these back by catching back up? I've never done a bleep test before. What speed (in KM/H) is each stage? I couldn't find anything specific about this online. My plan to practice this is to set up in a car park nearby, I just need to find a 20m tape measure and some markers...

Is it acceptable to be at the line waiting for a beep, or do I need to touch the line and be on the way back when it beeps? I know I should pace myself but this is for the beginning.

Will I be issued a list of things to take, EG what I should wear and when? I just want to be sure that I don't make a bad impression at all.

I am extremely anxious because I only just shaved through on my sit ups, run was 10 mins and push ups fine.

Thanks in advance.

You'll get a 'kit list' from your AFCO when your PRTC is confirmed.

As for sit ups, if you're 'close to the margin', get doing them as much as you can. the effort will pay off.

For the bleep test, you can download the MP3 file from the Recruiting website, then all you need is a 20m length to run up and down, and you can practice to your hearts content.

Try doing the sit ups and push ups after the practice bleep test to give yourself a realistic view of what to expect.

LilStill

Sergeant
You'll get a 'kit list' from your AFCO when your PRTC is confirmed.As for sit ups, if you're 'close to the margin', get doing them as much as you can. the effort will pay off.For the bleep test, you can download the MP3 file from the Recruiting website, then all you need is a 20m length to run up and down, and you can practice to your hearts content.Try doing the sit ups and push ups after the practice bleep test to give yourself a realistic view of what to expect.
Can't echo this enough - the amount of people who turned up during my time at Halton, who had never having tried the test in a realistic fashion, was astounding. "It'll be alright" is incorrect and the wrong attitude to boot. Good luck!

84scouse

SAC

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The previous comments on the MSFT are spot on... But here's a tip... 20 metres is the width of eight car park spaces. download the track onto your mp3 player and practice it!! I can't tell you how much this helped me, simply because I went into it knowing I was going to pass it. Nothing was alien. Most of the people who failed on my PRTC hadn't practiced at all! It doesn't matter if you think you'll look stupid... I was down Waitrose car park at 6am each day... hardly anyone around and no cars to get in my way!

Keep practising the sit-ups and press-ups. They have to be correct form, this is really important. For sit ups your fingertips can't leave your temples, and your elbows must touch the tops of your knees. Someone will be holding your feet in place. With press-ups you must have your upper arm parallel to the floor when in the down position, and in the up position your elbows have to be fully locked out. The PTI will place their fist in the correct position and your shoulder must touch.

On the last day of PRTC you'll get a kit list along with your boots & a pair of socks. Make sure you account for this when you're packing because they generally won't allow you to wear them to leave Halton on the Friday.

Good luck, you'll be fine!!

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
I've never done a bleep test before. What speed (in KM/H) is each stage? I couldn't find anything specific about this online. /QUOTE]

Didn't look to hard then. Quick search in Google found this Scroll down to the bottom of the page, theres a table detailing all the speeds and distances.

I've never done a bleep test before. What speed (in KM/H) is each stage? I couldn't find anything specific about this online. /QUOTE]

Didn't look to hard then. Quick search in Google found this Scroll down to the bottom of the page, theres a table detailing all the speeds and distances.

Didn't look there. Thanks

Appreciate all the info. I am doing sit ups and push ups on alternate days and running every other day. I have got hold of a tape measure (No suitable car parks nearby) and I will have a go at that soon.

The speeds don't look too challenging for the MSFT I thought it was going to be faster, just need to work on my turn technique I suppose.

Thanks a lot

D

dozyscopie1

Instead of doing it in a car park use a football pitch. Bye line to the 18yd box then 4 paces past gives you a rough 20m, not exact but its no more than .25 of a metre out. We do it in pre-season. Saves you having to find a car park.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Just be careful doing it on grass as you can get a different result and it can be more difficult turning as well.

LilStill

Sergeant
Instead of doing it in a car park use a football pitch. Bye line to the 18yd box then 4 paces past gives you a rough 20m, not exact but its no more than .25 of a metre out. We do it in pre-season. Saves you having to find a car park.Sent from my iPhone using my thumb.
Not exactly hard to find a car park, but really hard to find grass that's the same feel as Finlay Gym's floor! Not looking like a **** in said car park... different matter. If you want it enough... :D

I know this debate rages on, but...

The MSFT should be a test of your physical fitness, not a test of your ability to do the MSFT.

It's a good idea to do it a few times before you go to get a feel for the test and how it works, but personally I've always aimed just to be as fit as possible and not to give up on the test. I won't stop running until the PTI makes me.

If all you do is bleep test after bleep test then you'll be really good at them, but you'll fall apart the first time you have to run steady state for three to six miles. Although, by the same token, you can get really good at running five miles and fall apart on the bleep test because you aren't used to it. Both lessons I've learned through bitter experience.

D

dozyscopie1

Not exactly hard to find a car park, but really hard to find grass that's the same feel as Finlay Gym's floor! Not looking like a **** in said car park... different matter. If you want it enough... :D

Well I was guessing if he was a lad and had football boots he would know where a park was and wouldn't be as self conscious doing it there as to doing it in a car park. I wouldn't worry about what he was running on as if he practices enough he will get past the minimum requirement easily be it grass or concrete he practices on. And the fact the crap weather is coming I would not want to be sliding about on concrete. Just my humble opinion...

D

dozyscopie1

Just be careful doing it on grass as you can get a different result and it can be more difficult turning as well.

Agreed, pair of footy boots advisable. And before somebody says you can't wear them in the gym I find that the fitness test is more about the turn and acceleration than anything, especially towards the quicker levels but we are all different.
Head down and smash it out pal.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

LilStill

Sergeant
Well I was guessing if he was a lad and had football boots he would know where a park was and wouldn't be as self conscious doing it there as to doing it in a car park. I wouldn't worry about what he was running on as if he practices enough he will get past the minimum requirement easily be it grass or concrete he practices on. And the fact the crap weather is coming I would not want to be sliding about on concrete. Just my humble opinion...
Fair one mate, each to their own I guess.

iainrm

Corporal
exams general

exams general

Any test or exam, fitness or mental only tests your ability to pass the test it has little to do with your abilities to cope when the **** hits the fan!!

henry02

LAC
But if you can do the MSFT on grass, then you should be ok in the gym?

When I started practising I first did it in my garden, then when I needed to practise for PRTC, it was the middle of winter, so headed off to the local community centre, which really helped.

LilStill

Sergeant
But if you can do the MSFT on grass, then you should be ok in the gym?When I started practising I first did it in my garden, then when I needed to practise for PRTC, it was the middle of winter, so headed off to the local community centre, which really helped.
It depends on you but I'd certainly say there are upsides and downsides. You may well be a bit more surefooted if you practice on grass, but the impact on the knees of about 90 stop/turns will be felt on a hard floor if you're not used to it.

henry02

LAC
Another way of starting out with it (and what I did), was to work out the speeds required for each level of the test, then programme it into a treadmill. It was great for getting you used to running at different levels of speed over the nine or so minutes you will be doing the test. Obviously it doesnt practise the turning, but I can't say I had any real trouble with this - all though we did do it a few times at school in football training sessions, so I guess I have some experience of doing it.

Then get out there and practise the real thing!