• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Petition to Abolish the AFPRB

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Done. They are a useless organisation. At the last briefing I was forced to attend, I asked the question as to why, despite a pay freeze, could they not include a sentence such as "we acknowledge budgetry restraints, however had HMG not imposed a pay freeze, our recommendation would have been x%" so that the troops knew exactlyhow much the Govt were screwing them over. Some fat cat came out with a load of waffle that avoided answering, so I said "no point in me being here today" and walked out, followed by a few others.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I remember attending one of their briefings (Requested by the then WO as he said, 'Spearmint, you're a gob****e - give those ****s hell!') down MPA in 2009.

And as soon as I brought up the point of 2 extra ranks for TG1 to climb through and their career average earnings being less I was told by some retired panel member to stop spreading such rumours as it was simply untrue and causes dissent. An absolute spineless shambles that lot.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Signed :eek:

I've also emailed my local MP about it.

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Signed as well.

I'm not going to bother emailing my MP about it, as he is a stuck up little turd who has lied about serving in the RAF (until I publicly caught him out about it) and he doesn't really believe in the Military Covenant either.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Just over 18,000 sigs now.

Would anyone who is a member of here and there, be able to post a link up on the Army and Navy forums? :pDT_Xtremez_19:

DEADHEAD

LAC
Doesn't it need to hit 100k to be presented to parliament? Few issues I foresee here. Better off doing the families federation survey...

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Abolish the AFPRB and give the military a truly independent body to award pay.”.

Government responded:

The Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body (AFPRB) provides independent advice to the Prime Minister and Secretary of State for Defence on the remuneration and charges for members of the Armed Forces.

The role of the AFPRB is to provide advice to the Government on the pay and charges for military personnel to ensure the Armed Forces are able to recruit, retain and motivate suitably able and qualified people. In doing so it is required to take into consideration the Government’s policies on the public services, inflation targets and the funds available to the Ministry of Defence (MOD). However, the AFPRB’s recommendations are not bound by Government advice in these areas.

The AFPRB’s annual report and recommendations are evidence-based. During the spring and early summer the AFPRB conducts an extensive visit programme to Armed Forces establishments both in the UK and overseas, including operational theatres and ships, in order to gather first-hand evidence from the workforce. During these visits, AFPRB Members speak with Service Personnel and their families, eat in Service dining facilities and view both Service Family and Single Living Accommodation. Following the visits they receive formal written evidence from the MOD and also hear oral evidence from the Secretary of State for Defence, the Chief of Defence People and single-Service Principal Personnel Officers, the Defence Infrastructure Organisation and the Service Families Federations. Additionally, the AFPRB also commission its own analysis and research, including on pay comparability of the Armed Forces within the wider UK economy.

Following due consideration of all the evidence, the AFPRB submits its recommendations on Armed Forces’ pay and charges to the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence. Where sufficient evidence exists, the AFPRB makes recommendations for increases beyond the financial limits set by the Government, for example in 2013 when the AFPRB recommended, and the Government accepted, a 0.5 per cent increase to X-Factor at a time of public sector pay restraint.

As a public body the AFPRB undergoes routine review and scrutiny to ensure that it continues to fulfil its role. The last triennial review was undertaken in 2014 and found that the Review Body remains fit for purpose and delivers relevant and beneficial functions for Defence. The Triennial Review of the AFPRB was presented to Parliament on 10 April 2014; a copy of the full report can be viewed on the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/armed-forces-pay-review-body-triennial-review-2014

The 2015 Summer Budget announced that the Government will fund an average one per cent pay award for four years from 2016-17. At a time when further spending reductions are required to complete the repair of the public sector finances, the Government has stated that a policy of pay restraint makes a significant contribution to protecting jobs and maintaining public services. Since the beginning of the 2008-09 recession, average private sector earnings have increased by 12.6%, while those in the public sector have increased by 14.6%. HM Treasury analysis, as well as independent studies, therefore shows public sector pay at a premium for most of the last Parliament, and a significant continued premium when pensions are taken into account.

All Review Bodies operate in the public interest by offering a transparent, independent mechanism to inform the setting of pay for key workforces in the public sector. The Government greatly values the expertise and independence of the AFPRB.

Ministry of Defence

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104407?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Until you get to 100k or more than all you will recieve is that kind of crap...there doesn;t seem to be the interest.