• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pay rises in the past

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Lets notforget the 'Irish pay rises of the late 80's... food accom etc all went up full whack on 01 Apr and the 'staged' 1.3% payrise of 0.6% on 01 Apr and the rest in November... That left you out of pocket after a payrise.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I remember when SACs got benefits back in the 70s.

It was after the Fireman strike of 77/78 that we got the big pay rise. As a JT my pay rise took me to above what my Chief was getting the day before the pay rise.

We also changed from Fitters to Technicians at the same time.

Granted by the Labour Party who implemented it as a full pay rise as it was planned to be staged under the Tories.

The big payrise (35%) was in 1979, implemented by the Tories. IIRC, it was a further 15% the year after.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
You forget options for change and other redundancies then?

No I haven't forgotten any of that, it was the start of the screw turning that hasn't stopped since. But overall, on the balance of plusses versus minuses, I still felt that the Tories served me better as a serviceman than the Labour governments that were in power during my time.

J Y Kelly

Corporal
The big payrise (35%) was in 1979, implemented by the Tories. IIRC, it was a further 15% the year after.

April 1979. 24.2% from the Labour Government followed by 8.3% from the Tories at the end of May. The inflation rate at that time was horrendous.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
April 1979. 24.2% from the Labour Government followed by 8.3% from the Tories at the end of May. The inflation rate at that time was horrendous.

As I recall........

Tech App salary Jan 1979 - £120/month

JT salary Nov 1979 - £430/month

Well, you can imagine.........

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

Why does everybody have this misconception about the Tories given us this big pay rise in 79. It was approved by the labour government. They then had a general election and the Tories got in and gave us what we would have got under labour.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Why does everybody have this misconception about the Tories given us this big pay rise in 79. It was approved by the labour government. They then had a general election and the Tories got in and gave us what we would have got under labour.

Labour have a (very recent) history of committing to things when they know they don't have a chance of seeing them through. When the Labour government came to power they did a moratorium on spending, the tories could have done the same.

Don't be miserable

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Labour have a (very recent) history of committing to things when they know they don't have a chance of seeing them through. When the Labour government came to power they did a moratorium on spending, the tories could have done the same.

Don't be miserable

I'm not being miserable it just ****es me off that people won't take their rosé tinted specs off when it comes to the Tories

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm not being miserable it just ****es me off that people won't take their rosé tinted specs off when it comes to the Tories

The big one I mentioned earlier was the Tories iirc Major had just taken over as PM.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
They are all Lizards, they just wear different rosettes, The Military are only appreciated when the enemy is at the gates, just accept it.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

It wasn't a misconception, simply a fact that the Tories implemented it.

stingray888

Sergeant
No I haven't forgotten any of that, it was the start of the screw turning that hasn't stopped since. But overall, on the balance of plusses versus minuses, I still felt that the Tories served me better as a serviceman than the Labour governments that were in power during my time.

The Tories will do nothing right as far as a looney leftie like Firestorm is concerned. He's a one man propagander machine for the extremists on the left.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
So options for change and redundancies never happened then?

Nothing to see here....move along.

They keep smashing you and you keep voting for them! I'm a propagandist for no one. I despise Labour as much as I do the Tories.

br9mp81

Corporal
So options for change and redundancies never happened then?

Nothing to see here....move along.

They keep smashing you and you keep voting for them! I'm a propagandist for no one. I despise Labour as much as I do the Tories.

thier all as bad as each other,people go into it these days as a get rich quick job,the liebour party died with john smith,the torys have never had a leader with balls since maggie and as for the libdems!,***** the lot of them if voting changed anything they would ban it.
the rich get richer,the work shy and EU scum freeloaders get richer,and its us daves alarm clock plebs that get shafted and taxed.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
thier all as bad as each other,people go into it these days as a get rich quick job,the liebour party died with john smith,the torys have never had a leader with balls since maggie and as for the libdems!,***** the lot of them if voting changed anything they would ban it.the rich get richer,the work shy and EU scum freeloaders get richer,and its us daves alarm clock plebs that get shafted and taxed.
100% agreement there, pal - I'm pretty sure that politicians is actually an ancient Gaelic word meaning "lying, cheating, dishonorable scrote sack with all the morals and empathy of my last wet fart"....

I remember a pay rise in the 60s that put me (just) into a new tax bracket; I was worse off !
Then there was the famous devaluation by 'Arold Wislon: "This will not affect the pound in your pocket. . . "
I was in RAFG at the time and it bloody well DID.

It is, and has always been, impossible to get less money just because you move up a tax bracket. Any extra tax is only applicable to the amount of money earned above the new bracket entry.
That must have ben some pay rise!! In order to move up to the higher tax bracket in the 60s you would need promoting to an officer rank!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It is, and has always been, impossible to get less money just because you move up a tax bracket. Any extra tax is only applicable to the amount of money earned above the new bracket entry.
That must have ben some pay rise!! In order to move up to the higher tax bracket in the 60s you would need promoting to an officer rank!

Never say never, with the current practice of lowering the higher tax bands, this year and last being an instance, you could be £1 under one year and a couple of £1000 the next with only a small annual rise and quite a bit less in your pocket, especially as NI payments continue a little bit too these days.

I'm sure I could find other instances such as when the 10p tax bracket was removed and people moved into normal tax.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve

I seem to remember reading that there were more levels of taxation than there are now with the super rich paying up to 19 shillings in the pound in tax.