• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old RAF stations.

K

kitch

Does anyone remember RAF Radipole lane at Chickerel Weymouth. It was responsible for the RAF bombing range on Chesil Beach in the 50s & 60s.
kitch

A

amfortas

Nope. But I recall many a cold night at Gravely - the RLG for Oakington.

P

Poultice Walloper

I do remember RAF Theddlethorpe, a small bombing range on the Lincolnshire coast. A bleak and desolate place.

S

Starbuck617

RAF Radipole Lane

RAF Radipole Lane

My father-in-law served at Radipole Lane in the late 50's during his national service. He regales us with many a story from there!

stingray888

Sergeant
An old mate of mine back in the 70s was stationed at RAF Mepal near Ely. The wife was born 2 miles from there. By the time i started going there it had become a Thor missile site then it closed and now flogs farm machinary. Still has a few old huts you can see.

RAF Radipole Lane.

RAF Radipole Lane.

Does anyone remember RAF Radipole lane at Chickerel Weymouth. It was responsible for the RAF bombing range on Chesil Beach in the 50s & 60s.
kitch

I was posted to RAF Radipole Lane in 1957 from Waddington and was there until the camp closed down, what a sad day that was.We also knew it as Chesil Beach Range Unit and as I write this I am also just looking at a Xmas Dinner Menu for 1958. I believe the dinner was held at The Fleet. There was space on the back of the menu for Autographs but unfortunately it didn't seem important at the time, there was a Peter Wilkinson, R.P. Val or Vail but can't read the other.

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
An old mate of mine back in the 70s was stationed at RAF Mepal near Ely. The wife was born 2 miles from there. By the time i started going there it had become a Thor missile site then it closed and now flogs farm machinary. Still has a few old huts you can see.

Are you really sure it was still open in the 70s?
I thought Thor went out of service in about 1963....

Iceman999

LAC
I live near what was RAF Bridgnorth. All the old marital quaters and officers quaters still there as private housing now. The camp is an industrial estate now called Stanmore. I believe there was already an RAF stanmore somewhere in the uk so they had to call it RAF Bridgnorth.

morse1001

Sergeant
To give it it's full name RAF Stanmore Park, fantastic place full of women, because you also had RAF Bentley Proiry up the road.
Oh the mammeries!
the idea of the mummeries is an interesting one, but, as rule I preferred to stay away from places like Stanmore and other relays, due to boredom of the work and tape apes!

Stanmore Park was a bit of a sleepy hollow when I was there in early 1981. I was sent there whilst on "Pool Flight" at Cosford waiting on my course to start. When my course finished I was sent down again (for reasons which escape me). As I was signing in at the guardroom I flicked the book back a couple of pages and there was my signature from 18 months previously.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I had a mate who spent 6 years in Stanmore Park Quarters - and very nice it was there too.

I used to visit him when visiting my hometown - Stourbridge. and later spent many weeks styaing in the Stanmore Park Caravan Site - and very nice there too!

Tern Hill was my 1st Posting - and although its an Army base now its still used by the RAF and I believe it still has Scopies there too (from Shawbury).

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Same difference in a dark room...

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Now developed into a swanky new estate.
http://bentleypriorystanmore.com/

I don't think so...

"Stanmore Park" is near Bridgenorth, Shropshire (it used to be RAF Bridgenorth) some 10 miles or so from Cosford. The Stanmore Park estate you refer to is near/in the old RAF Stanmore Park (where I was put when on my Fitters Course)

Last edited: