• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old RAF stations.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I live near what was RAF Bridgnorth. All the old marital quaters and officers quaters still there as private housing now. The camp is an industrial estate now called Stanmore. I believe there was already an RAF stanmore somewhere in the uk so they had to call it RAF Bridgnorth.

I did my RTS at Bridgnorth (Number 7 School of Recruit Training) in 1960. We spent five days at Number 2 Reception Unit at RAF Cardington (Bedford, the old airship hangers are still there) before being put on a train at the private siding there and taken to Bridgnorth station (then a British Railways goods line, now the Severn Valley Railway staffed by volunteers). When Bridgnorth closed the Drill Cup was pinched from its case outside the Guardroom just inside the main gate. I did hear that it turned up some time later.

RAF Stanmore, Middlesex was HQ Fighter Command.

I also remember Sleap, in the early 60s a slave aerodrome of Central Navigation & Control School/Central Air Traffic Control School, RAF Shawbury.

A fictional old station on the radio in the 50s was RAF Much Binding in the Marsh, a comedy about the personnel of a WWII station (Dick Bentley, Jimmy Edwards, Sam Costa) who stayed on site after demob and started a ramshackle printing company. 'Much Binding in the Marsh' may still be heard occasionally on BBC R4Extra.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Always thought that Little Snoring was a fictional Station made up for Halton till I found it a few years ago in North Norfolk near Sculthorpe

Iceman999

LAC
Another interesting place by me is RNAD in Ditton Priors. Its between B'north and Much Wenlock. The Navy stored ammo and torpedo's there during the war. I believe it was top secret at the time, well thats what the locals say. The Yanks took it over and stored ammo there until around 68-ish.

morse1001

Sergeant
“A fictional old station on the radio in the 50s was RAF Much Binding in the Marsh, a comedy about the personnel of a WWII station (Dick Bentley, Jimmy Edwards, Sam Costa) who stayed on site after demob and started a ramshackle printing company. 'Much Binding in the Marsh' may still be heard occasionally on BBC R4Extra.”

It starred Kenneth Horn, who had been a wing Commander and was based upon RAF Swanton Morely in Norfolk.
"Take it from here" starred Jimmy Edwards, who had been a pilot on Dakotas

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
You are perfectly correct about 'Much Binding', Endeavour Morse, I really must go easy on the Theakston's Old Peculier. However, MB did include Sam Costa in his character's old RAF job as MTD and gofer (goes for things) and it was still was "Costa" and "Sir", which says something about civvy life in the 40s/50s.

My other geriatric error was to refer to RAF Stanmore when I meant RAF Bentley Priory, Stanmore. There was a virtual packet of Jaffa Cakes waiting for the first Goater to spot that. I was, so I'd better eat them - virtually.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I don't think so...

"Stanmore Park" is near Bridgenorth, Shropshire (it used to be RAF Bridgenorth) some 10 miles or so from Cosford. The Stanmore Park estate you refer to is near/in the old RAF Stanmore Park (where I was put when on my Fitters Course)

You are nearly right - it was Bridgnorth (no e) not Bridgenorth. According to the DIs there were lots of woodpeckers about, which was why we should keep our hats on.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I had a mate who spent 6 years in Stanmore Park Quarters - and very nice it was there too.

I used to visit him when visiting my hometown - Stourbridge. and later spent many weeks styaing in the Stanmore Park Caravan Site - and very nice there too!

Tern Hill was my 1st Posting - and although its an Army base now its still used by the RAF and I believe it still has Scopies there too (from Shawbury).

Tern Hill in the 60s was called the Central Flying School Annexe and trained chopper pilots for the RAF. I was there twice, once Special Sick when the Shawbury MO was out (at Tern Hill, maybe?) and once when I was passing to spend the night in the transit block. RN were then trained at HMS Sea Eagle, Royal Naval Air Station, Culdrose, Helston, Cornwall, and Army at the Army Air Corps Centre, Middle Wallop, Andover, Hants.

morse1001

Sergeant
You are perfectly correct about 'Much Binding', Endeavour Morse, I really must go easy on the Theakston's Old Peculier. However, MB did include Sam Costa in his character's old RAF job as MTD and gofer (goes for things) and it was still was "Costa" and "Sir", which says something about civvy life in the 40s/50s.

Richard Murdoch who also appeared had been a Sqdn leader. I remember my first job and I had to call the manager either Mister .... or sir and that was in the mid 1970s!

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
There are no scopies at Tern Hill.. Scopies are TG12 (ASOPs/FC) you mean air traffc cnutrollers which are TG9 (FOA/ATC)

Aerospace Battle Managers now, FOMz, not Fighter Controllers. I can only weep at your dislike of ATCs. :pDT_Xtremez_16:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Richard Murdoch who also appeared had been a Sqdn leader. I remember my first job and I had to call the manager either Mister .... or sir and that was in the mid 1970s!

"Mr" fine, I'd like to see more of it, but you'd have needed a certain amount of seniority to use it in MB days, like being an office manager or similar.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
All this reminds me of Fullbeck and Barkstone Heath, Lincs.
Satellites from Cranwell.

Digzster

Sergeant
Barkstone Heath is still going mate.

Ah, but not with Bloodhounds like West Raynham as I remembered those sites.

Speaking of "oddball" sites, any goater serve at RRS Weybourne in the early 80's when it was re-opened as a gap filler for Neatishead with AA4 Mk-7's? Good memories of the Maltings pub.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Ah, but not with Bloodhounds like West Raynham as I remembered those sites.

Speaking of "oddball" sites, any goater serve at RRS Weybourne in the early 80's when it was re-opened as a gap filler for Neatishead with AA4 Mk-7's? Good memories of the Maltings pub.

Nice little Unit weybourne used to spend a few days there a week as a low level cover for Neat in the late 80's. Up until 2008 we used to take Met redings for the National Met office when I was at Trimingham, it was still being used for ATC/REGT and the odd Army exercises. Not sure what it is used for now, if at all.

Digzster

Sergeant
Nice little Unit weybourne used to spend a few days there a week as a low level cover for Neat in the late 80's. Up until 2008 we used to take Met redings for the National Met office when I was at Trimingham, it was still being used for ATC/REGT and the odd Army exercises. Not sure what it is used for now, if at all.

In which case, you probably remember the Hopton site as well. When we took the AA4's there for exercise the owners of the holiday camp in the next field allowed us to use their showers/pool & bar. Hardest exercises I have ever done.....not.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
In which case, you probably remember the Hopton site as well. When we took the AA4's there for exercise the owners of the holiday camp in the next field allowed us to use their showers/pool & bar. Hardest exercises I have ever done.....not.

I left Neat in 86 and returned to Trim in 2000 so missed the move from Hopton, we still had a few lads about who were at Hopton when I first got there.