• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Heathrow Runway and MP suspended

New Heathrow Runway and MP suspended

• Yes

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Personally, If you buy a house next to an airfield of any sort, you have no grounds for complaint. The only people who have actually got any right to complain, are those that actually lived in the area when it opened as an aerodrome during WW1. As there aren't any of those around, none of these people who have been whining all day on TV, have got a leg to stand on.

Take the money and run I say.

Heathrow's entry on the highly accurate Wikipedia

G

gemarriott

Every time I fly from Heathrow the experience gets worse. Terminal 5 is a disgrace, too many people, not enough facilities etc etc.

Airport hotels and parking are workingat their limit.

Surely a better alternative would be expanding Luton/Birmingham and Manchester?

G

grumpyoldb

I think B'ham already has plans for expansion, but Manch has been refused further planning.
More could be done with ex military airfields, and they tend to be in less populated areas. They did it at Finningley.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I think B'ham already has plans for expansion, but Manch has been refused further planning.
More could be done with ex military airfields, and they tend to be in less populated areas. They did it at Finningley.

I agree, but it would only work properly IF the necessary infra-structure was in place, such as transport access and support services. I think there was a proposal to use Lyneham (when or if it ever shuts), but transport is the problem for existing traffic. MAybe move the 'international' traffic to another airport is the answer ?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Every time I fly from Heathrow the experience gets worse. Terminal 5 is a disgrace, too many people, not enough facilities etc etc.

Getting away from environmental issues etc, as a passenger this is definately my impression from passing through. They need to concentrate and improve the already in place infra structure.

How will ATC cope? Will Scampton take some of the load? Is that possible? The number of aircraft flying the loop there is already massive!!

Does anyone know how much compensationis on offer to the people living in the homes villages etc threatened for destruction to make way???

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As usual the government and commerce can't see beyond the ends of their noses with respect to sharing the wealth around our country...Why do we have to shoehorn more and more into the South East of the country...Why not expand one of the Midlands airports and improve road and raillinks?

G

grumpyoldb

Coventry is ripe for expansion with countryside to the southeast.
Good road and rail links too.

Odie

Sergeant
A typical Londoncentric view to expand Heathrow. Leave Heathrow as it is, even reduce the traffic through it with the expansion of the odd regional airport. The development of ex-military airfields would serve the regions better.
I'd guess more non-Londoners fly from Heathrow than Londoners, so expanding or developing regional airports would reduce the carbon footprint of shipping passengers and freight to Heathrow.
It's the folk who live in the villages they want to demolish I feel sorry for, they moved there knowing there was an airport, but not about the expansion scheme that'd destroy their homes.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
How about taking a leaf out of our Oriental friends' books and build a totally new, purpose built airport in the Thames Estuary from reclaimed land, which could have a high speed rail link to Kings Cross, Euston and Waterloo, and close Heathrow for ever?

G

grumpyoldb

How about taking a leaf out of our Oriental friends' books and build a totally new, purpose built airport in the Thames Estuary from reclaimed land, which could have a high speed rail link to Kings Cross, Euston and Waterloo, and close Heathrow for ever?

You'd still have the traffic and pollution.

Shugster

Warrant Officer

Agreed, I've been through a few times and only once was security as fast as T4 was.

We could hold off expansion anyway, who's going to have money to blow on trips abroad over the next 10 years anyway?

I know those of you in the Mob might, however that won't justify a new runway for 50k people.

Air travel will decline in the next few years.

And as Vim said, why not expand Brum or Manchester instead?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee

Agreed.......I flew into there today and my connecting flight was also T5 but a complete nightmare as always. Massive ques for no obvious reason and then getting all domestic passenger to jump the que.......crazy as always.

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Why can we not make better use of regional airports e.g. Robin Hood (Nottingham i think), Norwich, and Southend?

Thus spreading the traffic and increasing employment in those areas.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Why can we not make better use of regional airports e.g. Robin Hood (Nottingham i think), Norwich, and Southend?

Thus spreading the traffic and increasing employment in those areas.

Probably because that would mean people having to travel further to use an airport and they wouldn't be ar$ed....we all know that everything in this country revolves around London.

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

grumpyoldb

Robin Hood/Finningley/Doncaster.....................!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Odie

Sergeant

That'll be Robin Hood Airport (formerly RAF Finningley) near Doncaster. :pDT_Xtremez_15: Not everything to do with Robin Hood is at or near Nottingham. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited: