• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Motoring Tips and Tricks

F

FairyGoodGuy

Don't think it has been done before so I thought I would start a thread containing helpful little tricks and tips to help with motoring jobs...

I'll start the ball rolling with windscreen wipers...

Instead of just going out and spending £15 beer money on new windscreen wipers because the current ones are smearing the screen. Take a little neat alcohol or this time of year De-icer on a cloth and rub the wiper rubbers a few times and hey presto no more smears.

I have been doing this for the last few months whereas normally I would have purchased a new set.....

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Old car starting problems - Get a rubber glove and cut the finger/thumb tips off. Thread the HT leads through the fingers and put the glove over the distributor. This is great for keeping the distributor dry and makes for an easy start - especially on Mini's!

B

BuckyOHare

Being as I work in the trade, here are a few pointers:

• When booking for a service, supply your own parts. The markup on oil alone is unbelievable. Many basic service items can be bought dirt cheap.
  • Always ask for a run down on your bill, queery everything.
  • Always leave a contact number and insist on being notified if further work is required on your car.
  • On any major job required, get a few quotes from other garages, this could save you a fortune.
  • If you have a fault with your car describe it as best as possible, but dont say what you think it is, otherwise you may find yourself with a large bill, your car no better and a garage saying "well we did what you told us you thought it was"
I hasten to add I am not a mechanic, I fix the computers and stuff!

M

mumof4

Vaseline around door seals will prevent them freezing and stuck doors.

A very small amount of washing up liquid smeared on the inside of car windows will prevent misting up on the inside.And it does work!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Put a stop to car thieves by siphoning off all your petrol whenever you park your car, and carrying it round with you in one or two plastic buckets.

Or don't read to much into the Top Tips section of VIZ Magazine.

Try sprinkling talcum powder on a squeeling, worn and shiney fan belt to stop it slipping. A short term fix but will stop the noise for a while until you can tighten the belt or replace it.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
Make sure your breakdown cover gives you what you need.

My alternator went on Monday morning outside Swindon and it cost me an extra £150 to get the effing car home....then another £225 to get the s0dding thing fixed.

Left Lyneham 0830 got to Lincoln 2245.

At least it passed the MOT with no problems!!!!

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I am sure when FGG started this thread it was meant to provide helpful tips for us all not just to provide an area to prove that you are capable of copying from Viz top tips section.

So here's a top tip keep the advice her on topic or it will be deleted

G

gemarriott

On cold frosty mornings get the mrs to fill 2 hot water bottles at the same time she makes your early morning pot of tea. Then before she brings your tea up to the bedroom get her to put the 2 hot water bottles on the dashboard bot quite touching the windscreen. After your bacon and eggs, pat the little lady on the head, get in the car and flick the wipers a couple of times, hey presto no scraping.

A couple of tips when selling a clapped out banger:

A few handfuls of sawdust mixed in with the gearbox oil does wonders to hide noises and rumbles.

Add a few liquidised banana skins on the next engine oil change as a temporary cure for knocking big end bearings.

Car sold as seen, guaranteed until the end of the road. It was alright when I owned it guvnor…..honest!

On a more serious note, the techies amongst you should be able to blag a Halfords trade card. Just tell them you work in aircraft maintenance and you buy a lot of tools. They usually require some form of letter on headed paper (just make one up) or work ID (1250 will probably suffice).

I’ve had one for about 12 months now, just showed them my Airline ID. Have brought a few odds and sods tooling wise and saved a fortune on spares for mine and the wife’s motor. Massive discount on all parts including batteries, brake discs, pads, filters, wiper blades, oil and consumables. Up to 60% off parts and 30% off tools.

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Most MTMS have an account with a motor factor. They attract a very good trade discount and for a small donation to the tea-swindle spares can be obtained cheaper than Halfords.

To stop wipers streaking, clean screen, wipe rubber blade with apple and no more streaks.

Vaseline on the threads of the plastic radiator caps stops seizure and makes removal easier when required.

When fitting new brake pads, smear the backside (Plastic coated metal) with copper grease, stops harmonic distortion (Brake squeal).

When fitting / reomoving windows, lubricate rubber with washing up liquid, easier movement and when finished just washes off.

Sealing round baths and showers, apply sealant and profile with a piece of wood shaped to required profile that has been dipped in a 19:1 solution of water / washing up liquid.

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
Before taking your car for a service, mark everything that is usually changed with a bit of Tippex or permanent marker. You can then tell if the robbing Barstewards have actually changed them or justbilled you for it.

Any of you use REDDEX in your petrol, try using OM15 (Aircraft Hydraulic Fluid) its the same stuff and its FREE :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
The Bowmeister: I remember using OM15 instead of Redex, it was fun watching those who overdid the amount when the engine first started and all the rubbish came out the back end, I cannot remember if anyone actually trashed an engine doing this.

Last edited:

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
The Bowmeister: I remember using OM15 instead of Redex, it was fun watching those who overdid the amount when the engine first started and all the rubbish came out the back end, I cannot remember if anyone actually trashed an engine doing this.

your ok as long as you use small amounts. I found 5cc using a syringe in through the spark plug apertures, leave all plugs out, turn over engine on the starter, plugs back in and start as normal.
Top tip: dont do this anywhere near any washing because of all the soot and cr@p that comes out of the exhaust.

T55

Sergeant
A couple of tips when selling a clapped out banger:

A few handfuls of sawdust mixed in with the gearbox oil does wonders to hide noises and rumbles.

Add a few liquidised banana skins on the next engine oil change as a temporary cure for knocking big end bearings.

Car sold as seen, guaranteed until the end of the road. It was alright when I owned it guvnor…..honest!

On a more serious note, the techies amongst you should be able to blag a Halfords trade card. Just tell them you work in aircraft maintenance and you buy a lot of tools. They usually require some form of letter on headed paper (just make one up) or work ID (1250 will probably suffice).

I’ve had one for about 12 months now, just showed them my Airline ID. Have brought a few odds and sods tooling wise and saved a fortune on spares for mine and the wife’s motor. Massive discount on all parts including batteries, brake discs, pads, filters, wiper blades, oil and consumables. Up to 60% off parts and 30% off tools.

Some of the discounts are really good but don't forget to check elsewhere. My local motor factor still manages to undercut Halfords prices for the very same items!

flintwich

Corporal
Before taking your car for a service, mark everything that is usually changed with a bit of Tippex or permanent marker. You can then tell if the robbing Barstewards have actually changed them or justbilled you for it.

Any of you use REDDEX in your petrol, try using OM15 (Aircraft Hydraulic Fluid) its the same stuff and its FREE :pDT_Xtremez_19:

You will find OM15 is not free as it's paid for by the taxpayer for use, I expect, not being tchnically minded, in Aircraft hydraulic systems and not your own car.
You robbing barsteward, unquote.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
And as a high paying tax payer it is a tax refund for all the thieving from me the government has carried out over the years. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
You will find OM15 is not free as it's paid for by the taxpayer for use, I expect, not being tchnically minded, in Aircraft hydraulic systems and not your own car.
You robbing barsteward, unquote.
::/:
You are quite right AIRCRAFT HYDRAULIC FLUID is used In AIRCRAFT HYDRAULIC Systems and anyway, Who ARE you to judge me????? Also I have never performed any acts of Thievery from any BARS, public houses or any other drinking establishments. Nor have i ever held a Stewardship position either.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
flintwich, being as how you seem to be awfully concerned about theft, it probably won't make any difference to your sqeaky clean existance but the oil, if used for personnel use, comes from the waste oil bin after it had been drained from the aircraft so in actual fact we are saving the MOD money (and thereby the tax payer) as they do not have to pay for its disposal (being as how this is expensive and cost is by quantity).

I do not really know why I am bothering because in the scheme of life it is so un-important, but in the interest of continuing an interesting outlook on life, it amuses me for now.