• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Motoring Tips and Tricks

flintwich

Corporal
flintwich, being as how you seem to be awfully concerned about theft, it probably won't make any difference to your sqeaky clean existance but the oil, if used for personnel use, comes from the waste oil bin after it had been drained from the aircraft so in actual fact we are saving the MOD money (and thereby the tax payer) as they do not have to pay for its disposal (being as how this is expensive and cost is by quantity).

I do not really know why I am bothering because in the scheme of life it is so un-important, but in the interest of continuing an interesting outlook on life, it amuses me for now.

No, I'm not sqeaky clean, it's just that I wouldn't advertise that I misappropriate items, either new or used, openly on e-goat.
You never know who's looking in.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Vaseline around door seals will prevent them freezing and stuck doors.

I don't recommend a petroleum-based product being used on soft rubber seals! That's a sure-fire way to make them perish early.

It would be a better idea to use a little silicon-based grease. I had to do this regularly on my recently-traded-in BMW to stop the door seals creaking. Worked a treat.

My Tip: Check your tyre pressures regularly when the tyres are cold (ie not driven for a while). And don't rely on the local garage's tyre gauge - they are not callibrated and tend to be wildly innacurate. Buy yourself a decent digital tyre gauge. Under-inflated tyres have an adverse effect on fuel-consumption - you could save a small fortune on fuel bills over a year or two just by keeping your tyres topped up. That's before you consider the saftey benefits.

On a similar theme - get rid of all that junk floating around in your boot. All that extra weight makes your engine work harder and uses more fuel.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I don't recommend a petroleum-based product being used on soft rubber seals! That's a sure-fire way to make them perish early.

It would be a better idea to use a little silicon-based grease. I had to do this regularly on my recently-traded-in BMW to stop the door seals creaking. Worked a treat.

My Tip: Check your tyre pressures regularly when the tyres are cold (ie not driven for a while). And don't rely on the local garage's tyre gauge - they are not callibrated and tend to be wildly innacurate. Buy yourself a decent digital tyre gauge. Under-inflated tyres have an adverse effect on fuel-consumption - you could save a small fortune on fuel bills over a year or two just by keeping your tyres topped up. That's before you consider the saftey benefits.

On a similar theme - get rid of all that junk floating around in your boot. All that extra weight makes your engine work harder and uses more fuel.
Never mind all that car malarkey - now you're back on the scene come clean on your Weakest Link escapade - when were/are you on and how much did you win/lose????

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Never mind all that car malarkey - now you're back on the scene come clean on your Weakest Link escapade - when were/are you on and how much did you win/lose????

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

A week last tuesday. I won £1730 by knowing that The O.C, '24' and Ugly Betty' Actor Alan Dale played Jim Robinson in Neighbours.

Have you seen my new tele, home cinema system and Nintendo Wii? :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
A week last tuesday. I won £1730 by knowing that The O.C, '24' and Ugly Betty' Actor Alan Dale played Jim Robinson in Neighbours.

Have you seen my new tele, home cinema system and Nintendo Wii? :pDT_Xtremez_14:
Nice one but clearly judging by your exceptionally low total amount you were accompanied by a bunch of thick tw@ts who din't spend nearly enough time watching TV
:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Merry Chrimbo BEngO:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

Wow, can I have your autograph BengO ? :pDT_Xtremez_29:
I bet women will want to have babies with you now !! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

If she can find time between feeds ! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
As I've lost count of the tips and tricks I've learnt through building my kit car, it'd be quicker for soemone to ask me "Do you know a way of doing xxxxxxxxxxx?"

P

PD TC

Mondeo drivers.

That wheel in front of you is for steering the car. Amazingly, it allows you to move either left or right out of the middle lane of the motorway, YOU IDIOT

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Mondeo drivers.

That wheel in front of you is for steering the car. Amazingly, it allows you to move either left or right out of the middle lane of the motorway, YOU IDIOT

Or

BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Barry boy drivers - pressing the fog light switch a 2nd time will turn them off again

wolfy

Warrant Officer
Don't think it has been done before so I thought I would start a thread containing helpful little tricks and tips to help with motoring jobs...

I'll start the ball rolling with windscreen wipers...

Instead of just going out and spending £15 beer money on new windscreen wipers because the current ones are smearing the screen. Take a little neat alcohol or this time of year De-icer on a cloth and rub the wiper rubbers a few times and hey presto no more smears.

I have been doing this for the last few months whereas normally I would have purchased a new set.....

Following on from that then, how do you stop the wipers making the annoying squeaking noise then?

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Following on from that then, how do you stop the wipers making the annoying squeaking noise then?

Buy a set of Bosch Aerotwin Flat wiper-blades (an upgrade kit) specific to your car from www.wiperblades.co.uk

Got them fitted to my Rover MG. Brilliant blades. Very quiet, no smears and brilliant wipe performance even at motorway speeds.

wolfy

Warrant Officer
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I shall try MO4 idea first before trying TheHogwartsBEngO suggestion.

SB Pi$$ off

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Buy a set of Bosch Aerotwin Flat wiper-blades (an upgrade kit) specific to your car from www.wiperblades.co.uk

Got them fitted to my Rover MG. Brilliant blades. Very quiet, no smears and brilliant wipe performance even at motorway speeds.

Rover MG drivers: Double the resale of your car by fitting expensive wiper blades. If you are lucky, the buyer will assume the rest of the car is as efficient and reliable the wipers.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Rover MG drivers: Double the resale of your car by fitting expensive wiper blades. If you are lucky, the buyer will assume the rest of the car is as efficient and reliable the wipers.

Don't be daft, the MG badge blows that myth !! (I can say it now Mrs brat has sold hers !) :pDT_Xtremez_14:

docbombhead

Sergeant
Increase your view ahead when driving at night and make your car look trendy by turning on your front FOG lights, and never mind the fact that your blinding everyone coming in the opposite direction.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

MG Rover Owners: Sit back and feel smug as you compare the cost of buying your car with that of similar size/spec German cars purely because Rovers are considered to be poorly-made and unreliable and because stupid, ignorant and vain people will sell their own grandmother to own a VW/Audi/BMW. The truth is that although many Rovers are piles of ureliable and poorly-made scrap, certain models are actually quite good (eg R75/MG ZT without a K series 4-pots) but are very cheap because they don't have any badge kudos. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Here's another top tip:

When you wash your car, use two buckets. One with clean suds, the other just plain water. After wiping the car each time, always rinse-off your sponge/wash mitt in the plain water bucket before you plunge it into the suds bucket. This stops you washing your car with dirty water and prevents scratches and 'swirl marks' caused by grit caught in the sponge.