• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

London bus drivers

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
Its not just the tube drivers wanting to hold London to ransom during the Olympics.Now this lot want their pound of flesh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16202653

Who is next I ask? In stead of feeling pride in representing the City they feel it is a way to make a quick buck for just doing their job. Some can take home £30K or more. Tube drivers on wheels me thinks.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Sergeant
Why not use the seven thousand troops they are planning to use to cover this enormous folly. :pDT_Xtremez_15: In fact, send all these transport cocknoshers home without pay and give you lot an extra wedge for running the show. Five grand per trooper would be cheaper than paying these feckin pirates. (You're lot can have a couple of weeks off as well Firestorm).

Shugster

Warrant Officer
It was a mistake giving in to the Tube drivers, now every man and his dog is going to want a bonus.

What about me? There will be channels that I pay for that I won't want to watch for a month will the government pay for me to have SKY for that month?

MT drivers from all services can drive the busses, volunteers can learn to drive a train in a couple of weeks, (Yes they can firestorm just about anyone can do it), or better still hold a gun to the train drivers head and tell the money grabbing thief to get to work.

We need less softly softly in UK and more get on with it.:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Bignick

Corporal
I think I'm about to get a whole load of incoming for this statement but I'm going to say it anyway......... 500 quid does not seem like an unreasonable request from the bus drivers IMO considering what they will be expected to do and during a major event such as the Olympics! If I was a bus driver expecting to work the Olympics I would expect minimum double time during the whole event and probably a bit more too!

Give them the money I say, I don't think it is unreasonable at all and it is not like they want it permanently. NOW the tube drivers.......that is a different storey all together
!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_25:

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
I think I'm about to get a whole load of incoming for this statement but I'm going to say it anyway......... 500 quid does not seem like an unreasonable request from the bus drivers IMO considering what they will be expected to do and during a major event such as the Olympics! If I was a bus driver expecting to work the Olympics I would expect minimum double time during the whole event and probably a bit more too!

Give them the money I say, I don't think it is unreasonable at all and it is not like they want it permanently. NOW the tube drivers.......that is a different storey all together
!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_25:

I disagree.

It's a job. Many do not have a job.
It is relatively well paid. There are many living on Jobseekers allowance.
It is not exactly hard work. There are many who would do anything for a guaranteed income.

Grabbing B@stards. If I was the employer I would be advertising in the job centres right now and getting the P45's sorted out.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
I disagree.

It's a job. Many do not have a job.
It is relatively well paid. There are many living on Jobseekers allowance.
It is not exactly hard work. There are many who would do anything for a guaranteed income.

Grabbing B@stards. If I was the employer I would be advertising in the job centres right now and getting the P45's sorted out.

Agreed!
Bunch of greedy fpikey *******s!! Sack the feckin lot of them...I'm sure the's loads of unemployed drivers out there who'd be glad of the wage!!(Including me!)

Shugster

Warrant Officer
The Bus drivers will drive the same amount of hours as they would normally. And how many of them are avid fans of the Olympics that are being torn away from watching it on TV? 10% at most? Maybe... just maybe they own a video recorder or could watch the highlights in the evening?

500 quid might not seem like much, (although it does to me!), but times that by how many hundreds of drivers and it's alot. Alot of money for doing nothing special.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Whilst I personally don't see this as an inappropriate use of service personnel time it could be argued that they are going to be busier and operating outside of their normal trade boundaries with their Olympic based duties so lets pay them some extra money on top of what they normally get...

Doesn't sound likely does it therefore why is it ok to pay a bus driver to drive his bus...he or she will be bound by union and health/safety rules on the number of hours they can drive in a 24 hour period anyway so it can't be any extra without breaking some rule or other.

Max

Sergeant
If only we had a union I'd like to think that we would have someone fighting for some more money for us so it's only fair. Besides if the bus fares go up maybe a few more fat lazy people might walk off their Big Macs.

L

Little Tronk

No doubt while every money grabbing man and his dog is getting extra money, those of us unfortunate/fortunate (Delete as appropriate) to be involved will have to pay for everything out of our own pockets up front then try to claim it back on JPA assuming we still have the receipts!

Makes my blood boil!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
No doubt while every money grabbing man and his dog is getting extra money, those of us unfortunate/fortunate (Delete as appropriate) to be involved will have to pay for everything out of our own pockets up front then try to claim it back on JPA assuming we still have the receipts!

Makes my blood boil!

You are right , of course. I enjoyed the delights of the Royal Tournamet in the 80's, with an allowace of 50p a day. The point is this, what the tube and bus drivers do is pretty sick, but it is only because their respective managements would offer them nothing whatsoever if left to their own devices. Nothing at all, because that has always been the way of the larger organisation.

It is an obscene fight, but every fight has two sides ad no-one is going to fight the corner of the serviceman, ever.

Vagabond

Sergeant
Alas not. I'm working at the site and getting paid extra. Ta very much.

Why are you getting paid extra? Are the cat-rescuers getting a brucie bonus just for turning up for work? Every one else seems to be engaged in blackmail and I suppose Trumpton have got to get on the gravy train.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Not safely you can't. But I'm enjoying your rant anyway.

Because driving a train is very demanding both physically and mentally isn't it? I hope all trains are automated soon and these "highly skilled" drivers are forced to find work elsewhere with a large dose of reality.

What is at the heart of all this is something that we can all agree on... A fair days pay for a fair days work.
Train drivers are already well above what is a fair salary for their job. And no wonder you have defended these people hijacking the olympics as you will be getting extra yourself, perhaps you would like to explain why you think you should get more?

Maybe you should look a little further than just "Four legs good, Two legs bad", (Unions are right to hold the Country to ransom for greed, everyone who complains is just bad / stupid).

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
What are the consequences of NOT doing a job properly? Is it an irritation that someone hasn't done something and completion of a task is delayed, i.e. management get cross. Or do people die because someone has fcuked up?

Shugster

Warrant Officer
What are the consequences of NOT doing a job properly? Is it an irritation that someone hasn't done something and completion of a task is delayed, i.e. management get cross. Or do people die because someone has fcuked up?

In a normal job it means being punished and possibly sacked.

People could die, but are the Olympics going to cause so much extra work / stress that an accident occurs? A train driver drives a train that's it. He is in the cab on his own as usual, not crushed or distracted by travellers so his day is exactly the same as any other day. The signal department has far more responsability than the driver who just pushes a few buttons.