• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Im Pooped peeps!!!

Im Pooped peeps!!!

• I am happy with my job in every respect

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I am happy with my job but it's getting harder to do it all the time.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • I am neither happy nor sad and I'm wondering if what I am doing is still for me.

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • I am unhappy with my job but will hack it due to the economy and state of the nation

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I am unhappy due to decreasing allowances and conditions

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • I am unhappy due to increased hoops to jump through

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • I will leave as soon as I can

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • I am in it for the long run and not thinking of leaving

Votes: 11 9.3%

• Total voters

fatboy11

Corporal
All jokin apart about Buffoon's capapabalities peeps..... Im absolutely fooked and tired of producin results from fook all...........discuss!!

P

POB

And there you have the reason for my PVR, and that of many before me too. After a while it just gets to the stage that no matter how much you want to care you just don't.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
And there you have the reason for my PVR, and that of many before me too. After a while it just gets to the stage that no matter how much you want to care you just don't.

Just about sums it up. You get to a stage where you don't want to go into work, don't particularly care when you're there and pick fault with every moment of nugatory effort and that is the time to go.

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Still got the 'T-shirt'. I used to wonder who in the 'Ivory Towers' was actually steering the ship. When the interest goes, it takes along with the professionalism.
I was glad to go and now look back on the good times as the bad times rapidly faded.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Still got the 'T-shirt'. I used to wonder who in the 'Ivory Towers' was actually steering the ship. When the interest goes, it takes along with the professionalism.
I was glad to go and now look back on the good times as the bad times rapidly faded.

How true, my few bad times have almost faded already and I'm not out until next week. What remains is so many good times to dine out on and bore people senseless with for years!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I'm thinking the same thing. It's strange but after 19 years of service I feel like my get up and go went along with my enthusiasm once I reached SNCO level and STILL got nowhere fast! That belief that once I reached the SNCO rank that things would change, or maybe's I could make a difference for all the guys/girls below me soon faded!! Shame, I like the services but feel let down by it at the same time.

B

billy bollox

A good friend of mine said at his top table he was leaving at 2yrs WO level because he had many happy memories to remember and didn't want them tainted by bad memories that he could see coming our way.

Funnily enough, another ex SNCO I saw 2 weeks back said exactly the same thing.

When you forget the good times and start looking at minor bad times, then its time to decide.....I'm now at that point.

Wait out.........................:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
If the Goat is read by some very senior people, why don't they listen to the concerns of the masses ?

[ah - utopia; sorry ]

[tin-foil hat to ON]

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
'Cos obviously we're just the whinging minority! Everyone else just loves it!
:pDT_Xtremez_21:

I thought it was just me, only a year or so ago I really looked fwd to work, now I just couldnt care less.
Every shift I come in to at least a third of my emails whinging about standards and how we are not doing good enough etc etc.
I'm now at the point where anything from the SEngo and/or WO gets deleted before its opened.
Now I just really am bored of the whole thing, the funs gone out of it all and its time to move on.
Received my letter from the redundancy people the other day and after 25+ years I thought it may have sparked some sort of nostalgic emotion but nothing.

Its a real shame as I have had great times in the mob and hopefully some of you lot out there still are.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I thought it was just me, only a year or so ago I really looked fwd to work, now I just couldnt care less.
Every shift I come in to at least a third of my emails whinging about standards and how we are not doing good enough etc etc.
I'm now at the point where anything from the SEngo and/or WO gets deleted before its opened.
Now I just really am bored of the whole thing, the funs gone out of it all and its time to move on.
Received my letter from the redundancy people the other day and after 25+ years I thought it may have sparked some sort of nostalgic emotion but nothing.

Its a real shame as I have had great times in the mob and hopefully some of you lot out there still are.

Hit the nail on the head there, uber management seem to be more interested in niff naff and ***** than than they are with the job in hand. Too busy chasing meaningless targets, utter drivel.

S

squipper01

I think a lot of people have got to the stage of having enough, we have been getting shafted for years and years now

:pDT_Xtremez_02:

Taxi

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

One of the saddest things I've ever read on the Goat. I don't know how some of our 'leaders' can sleep at night - absolute scum the lot of 'em.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
uber management seem to be more interested in niff naff and ***** than than they are with the job in hand. Too busy chasing meaningless targets, utter drivel.

Sounds just like my place of work. I mentioned today to a dweller of the corridor of doom that we must now have as many people producing management stats, compiling masses of unneeded data, preparing valueless H+S reports, and forcasting trends as we actually have doing stuff of worth at the work face. From the JNCO who counts light bulbs to the SNCO who colours in pie charts the range of utterly futile and unecessary tasks just grows and grows whilst our glorious leaders complain bitterly they are short of manpower to anyone daft enough to listen. The body of people checking how well we are doing now outweighs the capacity of the remainder to produce work.

NigeC

Corporal
Just about sums it up. You get to a stage where you don't want to go into work, don't particularly care when you're there and pick fault with every moment of nugatory effort and that is the time to go.

Wow, spot on, in my last two years before I came out in '94 :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I stayed for promises that never materialised but had always said that I'd leave at my 22 no matter what, yes failed Cranwell selection and due to JPA had a big rug pulled from under me. However, I always gave my all and to be honest I took every opportunity to do something different.

I chose jobs that gave me a good feeling, rather than a good career path and looking back I cannot fault my time with the RAF, I did spend a few months with the Army that I didn't enjoy at all.

I left with qualifications, experiences, skills and attitude that will shape the rest of my life, in the past four months I have had more responsibility and opportunity than I ever had in the previous 22 years, yes I'm paid a bit more but bugger me do I have to earn it.

Leave when you plan to - be happy

Leave whe you've had enought - be sad.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer

Stone me, sounds like my daily routine about 8 years or so ago mate. A constant barrage of piffling, trifling whinges about things my staff had been seen doing, or found not to have done; popper on duscoat spotted undone by passing management member, foot on jack in storage area 3.5 degrees out of alignment with the rest, individual spotted with (now) unauthorised (but until yesterday accetable) colour T-shirt under denims. On, and on, and on. I finally flipped at a meeting where more of these petty whinges were being aimed at my staff and asked if any of them had ever considered having a good word to say about what the lads did, did any of them even notice? Not well received, the beginning of the end.

Tin basher said:
Sounds just like my place of work. I mentioned today to a dweller of the corridor of doom that we must now have as many people producing management stats, compiling masses of unneeded data, preparing valueless H+S reports, and forcasting trends as we actually have doing stuff of worth at the work face. From the JNCO who counts light bulbs to the SNCO who colours in pie charts the range of utterly futile and unecessary tasks just grows and grows whilst our glorious leaders complain bitterly they are short of manpower to anyone daft enough to listen. The body of people checking how well we are doing now outweighs the capacity of the remainder to produce work.

The end got even closer when I wrote a Jerry Maguire style memo to one individual in the management corridor pointing out, in a light hearted manner, that if I were to try and man all of the extra-curricula activities, short notice projects and requests, the e-mail trail for which suggested they'd arrived on the squadron a fair time ago and had been idling away in various inboxes until the 'due' date was nearly upon us, I'd not have anyone left to perform the primary function. Which did he want me to pursue first. Memo was passed up to Sqn Cdr who simply couldn't see the point, wouldn't accept the observation that tasks were too often sat on then passed to the individual who actually had to do something about it, right at the last minute (they were), couldn't accept that the same info was being asked for over and over again by seperate individuals who couldn't co-ordinate their activities and that 16 manhours worth of work couldn't be done by 4 men in the time required. I got reamed - the usual answer, shoot the messenger.

I thought having left I would be immune to the garbage on the civvy side of the fence - not quite. Apparently a presentation I spent some time working on and which has been used over and over again by numerous staff is 'a load of sh1t' and should present information like THIS and not like THAT. Stupid me, I thought I was the subject matter expert for a reason, shows what I know doesn't it?
And its not just me, people are getting ground down by it. Continuous improvement driving constant change, nothing is allowed to stay the same for 5 minutes, something always has to be improved -
We shaved 2 hours off that subject, can you shave another 1?
Do you really need this and that?
Can you write me a business case stating why you have to use X and not Y
What do you mean you haven't finished it yet, you've been doing your primary job (the one you get paid for), I'll go and see Sgt so-and-so make sure you get ring-fenced to this (that'll make me popular won't it?).

The bottom line is I could simply say no to all the stuff I don't have to do, but ultimately:
Someone ends up having to it
If it gets dumped on a blue-suit I feel like a cnut because they've got enough other b0ll0cks to contend with over and above the stuff I have to put up with
I still have a few drops of personal pride left with which I try and do the best job I can regardless. That reserve is running very dry though.

Whoops, got a bit carried away there.:S

Last edited:

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I agree with everything that's been written. I was ****ed off enough with the constant barrage of emailed crap from our 'higher-ups' that I sent an email today to the WO at Cmd and advised him that I would be deleting any further emails from them because frankly I'd had enough, wasn't interested and was going to sit outside in the sun and read my Kindle.

His reply? 'Make sure you put some lotion on; it's hot out there'!