• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Human factor training

KingGuin

Sergeant
Having just sat through HF "training" I seek your thoughts. Whilst I absolutely appreciate the premis and the requirement to have such a system in place, I do not believe it needs 4 hrs of death by PPoint to impart the concept. Whilst the Instructors tried their best, several of us questioned why the presentation had not been tailored to be more relevant. We were informed it was a mandated format which could not be deviated from.

Exam Question - Whilst accepting the value of re-inforcing the HF message do you really thik it needs 4 hours to do so?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Exam Question - Whilst accepting the value of re-inforcing the HF message do you really thik it needs 4 hours to do so?

IMO, from a Techie perspective, 4 hours is not long enough to do a proper HF presentation/discussion.

You however do not need 4 hours of Powerpoint.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Think yourself lucky that it's just 4 hours.

One of the part 66 exams is focussed entirely on human factors. ( Module 9) and consists of an MCQ exam and a written exam which could cover any aspect of the module.

Then there's the 2 day initial HF course to do followed by refresher training every 2 years or at my place, every 12 months.

Some of it maybe seems irrelevant, but in a maintenance environment it makes a lot of sense. If you understand how mistakes are made, you can help prevent them happening again.

TW

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Whilst I absolutely appreciate the premis and the requirement to have such a system in place, I do not believe it needs 4 hrs of death by PPoint to impart the concept.

Making people sit through 4 hours of PowerPoint is a Human Factors issue in its own right!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Only 4 hours? Baines-Simmons were pumping out whole day sessions not so long ago...

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Perhaps need a bit of clarification here...
'HF Foundation Training' is a day long course (2Gp), with 'HF Continuation Facilitation' being 1/2 day every 18 months. The Foundation training is set with a mandate to cover some topics. Continuation Facilitation can take any form, no mandated topics and it should be targeted to an audience of like minded (trades), and doesn't need powerpoint.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Continuation Facilitation can take any form, no mandated topics and it should be targeted to an audience of like minded (trades), and doesn't need powerpoint.

Quite so. One guy I know delivers it as series of techy anecdotes from himself and the audience and then debates the HF issues that fall out of each little incident. No two sessions are the same yet by using an individuals personal experiences HF related issues are brought to the fore and discussed amongst the group. I won't name the goater in question but most of his stories start with "when I was on Vulcans we had this liney" :pDT_Xtremez_30:

KingGuin

Sergeant
Perhaps need a bit of clarification here...
'HF Foundation Training' is a day long course (2Gp), with 'HF Continuation Facilitation' being 1/2 day every 18 months. The Foundation training is set with a mandate to cover some topics. Continuation Facilitation can take any form, no mandated topics and it should be targeted to an audience of like minded (trades), and doesn't need powerpoint.

Thank you; HF Foundation Training was the legend on the slides. I honestly think I must be missing something (and I hope I don't sound arrogant) because I don't think its a difficult concept to grasp (maybe because I have a welfare/pastoral based background) and (from a teaching perspective) it certainly could be made more interesting and interactive.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Thank you; HF Foundation Training was the legend on the slides. I honestly think I must be missing something (and I hope I don't sound arrogant) because I don't think its a difficult concept to grasp (maybe because I have a welfare/pastoral based background) and (from a teaching perspective) it certainly could be made more interesting and interactive.

It was probably not you missing something, I would wager it was 4 hours of Powerpoint missing the whole point of HF entirely.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
One thing I've never understood is some tube clicking onto each slide and then reading it verbatim. Seriously, what's the point, why doesn't the guy just fcuk off out of the room and let you go through it at your own rate! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

KingGuin

Sergeant
One thing I've never understood is some tube clicking onto each slide and then reading it verbatim. Seriously, what's the point, why doesn't the guy just fcuk off out of the room and let you go through it at your own rate! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

If only it had been so painless: instructors were truly nice guys but did we really need to know the name, rank, number, inside leg, waist, sexual preference and brew order for every person on every plane/train/go-cart/golf buggy which ever crashed? Apparently so.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Interesting!

I am a HF Facilitator and intrigued about the mandated 4hrs of PowerPoint. It must be foundation.

The whole purpose of the facilitated sessions is to have a frank and open discussion about "stuff". To be able to chat about failings etc Anecdotal stuff is brill. I have a huge library of stuff, simple google searches brings out loads of stuff to use.When I do mine there is a brief powerpoint as to to why we are having them, a brief history and a small icebraker. The majority of the discussion is from the guys attending and a few steers from me. Any topic can start it off but a case history is easiest - quick read of it, show a video of it, anything and off it goes.

The issue with it is practice, you are given the basics on the course and its only when you do a few do you get in the groove. So to start with people are tied to the lectern, powerpoint etc. In 18 months time you will notice a difference.

Z

Zeebad

the point is power (if it is 4hrs)

Z

Zeebad

I am also an HF Facilitator due to my attendance on a course, however delivering said topic is more about life experience from instructor and the students that are present. When I said instructor I meant that in the loosest of terms, facilitator is the most correct to describe the steering of opinions and past experiences to a relevant, safe and best practices conclusion. Take pride in getting it right first time every time, however beware pride it usually comes before a large fall.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
The minimum period for EASA basic HF is two days following the syllabii in Part 145 and Part 66. Anything less just doesn't cut the mustard.

Continuation Training should be conducted every 2 years, normally on expiry of Authorisations and Approvals, and should include at least 4 hours of HF in the 2 day CT syllabus.

(But the RAF doesn't do CT or time limited auths anyway)

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The minimum period for EASA basic HF is two days following the syllabii in Part 145 and Part 66. Anything less just doesn't cut the mustard.

Continuation Training should be conducted every 2 years, normally on expiry of Authorisations and Approvals, and should include at least 4 hours of HF in the 2 day CT syllabus.

(But the RAF doesn't do CT or time limited auths anyway)

'Ere Rigga,

Got a question.

Why isn't a module 9 pass recognised as basic HF training?

Please refer to post number 5.

Cheers

TW

Last edited: