• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harry's Iraq role reviewd

Harry's Iraq role reviewd

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed by others on this thread, and suspect that recent unpleasant developements in Iraq have forced a rethink. The recent penetration of a Challenger tank by insurgent explosive devices, but more recently the kidnapping of three American soldiers. If Harry were to die in any active service role even during training there would be national grief and a wringing of hands but that would pass with time. If however he were kidnapped and insurgents had the third in line to the throne to do with as they pleased this would be a much more serious situation and one only the insurgents themselves could control (although I would offer Ewan Blair as an exchange). Ultimately in the media tomorrow and on the news prepare to be swamped by this story. Gone are the days when the media would sit on news in the interests of national security, even during the Falklands campaign the Argentinians adapted there tactics and weapon arming as a result of reports by the BBC and others that several navy ships were hit but the bombs failed to go off! Ultimately the second it was announced that he would go that became an impossibilty, the only way he could have served would have been in secret, yet again a near impossibility in this day and age, and so those who have issued threats against him can claim to have influenced British Governmental policy, a disgraceful situation, but I fear the thin end of the wedge.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Maybe he should resign his commission and save everyone the bother, If he doesn't go in the end he may as well anyway.

In the light of whats just been said, Ditto.

May as well pack it in old bean, that uniform and rank is for ceremonial purposes only. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
(although I would offer Ewan Blair as an exchange). QUOTE]

No....no.....no. It would have to be Tony Bliar.........................:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I stand corrected All the Blairs, Including Sir Ian the Met Polices Incompetent Chief Constable. Harry (and for that matter William) should resign their commisions now! Harry is an embarrasment to the uniform his father wore (and the Prince of Wales is unlikely to be happy about it either!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_31: )

N

Nimrod

Sack Army Head

Sack Army Head

It appears the higher echelons of the MoD are reviewing if Prince Harry will be deployed to Iraq with his unit.

Has the recent incident of the Challenger tank's armour being penetrated by an IED caused them concern?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6594223.stm

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Did it really take until today for the head of the Army to conclude Harry would not serve, he should be sacked. He should drag himself from his desk more often and take a reality check, ofcourse it was too big a risk. Harry should have been told before he joined the Army that he would never go to Iraq. There is no comparison in what Andrew did in the Falklands!!

S

shoutingwind

maybe its all a cover up- he waits till telic 11 goes out and THEN the MOD tells everyone that he has combat experience etc... and not let the media into the secret before he goes.

fatal14

LAC
Fooking typical of the jelly spined hierarchy that lead us !!
What a shame the families of those already killed didn't have the option of not sending their loved ones 'cos it was a tad dangerous. It makes my effin blood boil !!
H &W should both be made to hand back their kit and resign, but they won't because then they would have nowhere to hang all their well earned silverware. Tossers !!

I realise that others would have been at a greater risk had he gone but at least he would have been able to hold his head up and gain some respect !!

'Nuff said.

:pDT_Xtremez_25:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Fooking typical of the jelly spined hierarchy that lead us !!
What a shame the families of those already killed didn't have the option of not sending their loved ones 'cos it was a tad dangerous. It makes my effin blood boil !!
H &W should both be made to hand back their kit and resign, but they won't because then they would have nowhere to hang all their well earned silverware. Tossers !!

I realise that others would have been at a greater risk had he gone but at least he would have been able to hold his head up and gain some respect !!

'Nuff said.

:pDT_Xtremez_25:

I suspect Harry will agree with you. He did say he would resign his commission if not allowed to go; let's see if he's as good as his word.

The increased risk would be minimal if the media had not made such a fuss about it in the first place. He could have gone, been just another one-pip-wonder, and most of the world would have been none the wiser.

G

gemarriott

I suspect Harry will agree with you. He did say he would resign his commission if not allowed to go; let's see if he's as good as his word.

The increased risk would be minimal if the media had not made such a fuss about it in the first place. He could have gone, been just another one-pip-wonder, and most of the world would have been none the wiser.

a bit naive believing he could have gone without being noticed mate!

I am really confused by the whole thing really as to where I stand on the issue if I'm honest.

If he goes he is putting himself and everyone around him at increased risk. If he isn't allowed to go he appears to be valued more than anyone else who does go. Damned if you do damned if you don't. Before anybody goes quoting Andy and flaklands remember he was just a chopper pilot as far as the argies were concerned and in no greater danger than anybody else because of who his mum was.

Begs the question though should William and Harold be in the mob at all? I say not as their absence from ops only increases the workload on everybody else and they don't do the job full time either.

Harold of course should have been in a cell for his drug habit and not at Sandhurst in the first place.

P

POB

Just a quick warning everyone:

ARRSE has been quoted on the BBC radio news a couple of times allready about this. Please be careful what you say, or more to the point about how you say it.

In the mean time I am confused as to how I feel about the whole thing, rather like GEM. Should he go and bring even more danger to his unit, or stay and give his lads a better chance of coming home in one piece?

C

Chuffybum

ARRSE has been quoted on the BBC radio news a couple of times allready about this. Please be careful what you say, or more to the point about how you say it.

In the mean time I am confused as to how I feel about the whole thing, rather like GEM. Should he go and bring even more danger to his unit, or stay and give his lads a better chance of coming home in one piece?

Got to say I'm in agreement with both you and GEM. Damned if you do and damned if you don't is really quite apt now. Methinks that Harry should seriously consider resigning his commission now - a shame really in a way but that's the way of the world unfortunately. Maybe Wills should be seriously considering the same too.

M

mad_mo

Not exactly a livley thread over there, only 14 posts!!. Arrse love all the Journo attention they get!.

fed_up_scribbly

Corporal
I have no doubts that he wanted to deploy with his troops but the fact that he is a senior royal means that he will never be allowed anywhere near the sharp end of things. I'm disappointed that he appears to be lacking the courage of his convictions in that he has changed his tune about resigning his commission - after all, what real use is he to his regiment now that he cannot fight? William may as well quit at the same time - he has even less chance of doing anything worthwhile.

G

grumpyoldb

I think that the powers that be should have been a bit more far sighted, and not allowed the royals to join a regiment/unit that was likely to be deployed in the first place. It would have avoided this situation.

M

Mrs_Monobrow

Got to say I'm in agreement with both you and GEM. Damned if you do and damned if you don't is really quite apt now. Methinks that Harry should seriously consider resigning his commission now - a shame really in a way but that's the way of the world unfortunately. Maybe Wills should be seriously considering the same too.

I dont think harry will resign. Which he should, whats the point of joining up to do a job that you arent allowed to do.

William should deffo give up to. If they wont allow the 3rd in line to the throne they sure as hell wont allow the 2nd!

wolfy

Warrant Officer
If he was ever going to go he should have just been sent, instead of the months of press coverage he got that told the world were he was going etc etc. He may have had more of a chance of survival. If once it became common knowledge he was there, they could have monitored the situation and dealt with accordingly. The reality is that he is in the army and like all soldiers he will do as he is told like it or not.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Got to say I'm in agreement with both you and GEM. Damned if you do and damned if you don't is really quite apt now. Methinks that Harry should seriously consider resigning his commission now

Damned if you do and damned if you don't I agree but what about when the boys come back and sadly there's an empty seat at the regimental dinner how is he going to feel then. I do feel sorry for the lad the decision has been taken away from him. He should resign ASAP how can he look his troops in the eye after this. The next ex-service function he attends how can he talk to the old un's who are full of "when I" action stories and he's the one who was not allowed to fight. Really feel sorry for the poor sod street cred now zero with his troops and perhaps even the wider military family.

C

Chuffybum

Damned if you do and damned if you don't I agree but what about when the boys come back and sadly there's an empty seat at the regimental dinner how is he going to feel then. I do feel sorry for the lad the decision has been taken away from him. He should resign ASAP how can he look his troops in the eye after this. The next ex-service function he attends how can he talk to the old un's who are full of "when I" action stories and he's the one who was not allowed to fight. Really feel sorry for the poor sod street cred now zero with his troops and perhaps even the wider military family.

This is definitely an extremely bad situation to be in. No matter what happens it isnt going to look good from anyone's point of view. I also feel quite sorry for the guy but I do think that, considering whats happened, both he and his bro resign now. Its a shame on both of them but..............thats life.

P

POB

Still have mixed feelings about all of this, but one thing occurs to me:

He has been ordered by the most senior member of the Army to stay behind. That will be his "get out" clause.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I'm a danger to myself and others, especially with a bang stick. Does this mean I don't have to go as well?