• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harry's Iraq role reviewd

Harry's Iraq role reviewd

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
M

mad_mo

It appears the higher echelons of the MoD are reviewing if Prince Harry will be deployed to Iraq with his unit.

Has the recent incident of the Challenger tank's armour being penetrated by an IED caused them concern?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6594223.stm

Last edited:
C

Chuffybum

Prince Harry wil definitely increase the risks assocaited with him being in Iraq. His troops will no doubt be aware of this and the increased risks against them, in fact most troops will have an increased risk as I doubt very much that the terrorists will be able to determine which patrol has Prince harry in it and which hasn't. The bottom line is, he signed on the dotted line the same as everyone else and should go (he wants to after all) BUT, God help us, and the govt, if he is taken out.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Prince Harry wil definitely increase the risks assocaited with him being in Iraq. His troops will no doubt be aware of this and the increased risks against them, in fact most troops will have an increased risk as I doubt very much that the terrorists will be able to determine which patrol has Prince harry in it and which hasn't. The bottom line is, he signed on the dotted line the same as everyone else and should go (he wants to after all) BUT, God help us, and the govt, if he is taken out.

Sorry chuffybum but the man joined the Army to be a SOLDIER. He wants to do his tour of duty and should be allowed to go. Andrew served in the Falklands and various senior family members served in different theatre's in WWII. The people putting Harry and his men at risk are the same one's who can't shut the fcuk up about it. The Great British Media. If the TV news and papers didn't make a media feeding frenzy out of it the insurgent's wouldn't have known he was going in the first place.
Being a citizen of this country and a tax payer does not make you a part owner of the Royal family. They do not exist to serve US ! If our government had a pair they would tell Murdock et al to get the fcuk out of the war zones and treat them as the traitorous fcuking spies they are.
Any journalist caught in a war zone should be shot or hung for espionage and gibbeted on the border as a warning to others.

Just in case you didn't figure it out, No, I'm not joking !

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Simplfying the scenario somewhat but if a warrior vehicle rolls out of the gates without a royal person in it there will still be certain support assets and something in reserve already spun up to a level of readiness...possibly stuff in the air or if not already airborne then sat close to the powered up asset ready to move...a spare vehicle(s) back at camp ready to whizz out if contact is made...int perhaps steps up their efforts as well...

Now put Harry into that vehicle in the present climate taking into consideration that every insurgent will know when his regal boot will have touched Iraqi soil for the first time and thereafter embedded reporters will squeark on about 'stuff he might have to do' at the very least...Being a royal how much extra effort will these 'support assets' have to put in whenever he goes out? Assets and personnel that are already at a hightened tempo with equipment that already is difficult to make/keep 'S' are loaded even more...

I for one would like to see him not go...things have changed since Andrews Falklands jaunt...A hit on a royal in this particular operation in this political climate would be catastophic...

C

Chuffybum

Sorry chuffybum but the man joined the Army to be a SOLDIER. He wants to do his tour of duty and should be allowed to go. Andrew served in the Falklands and various senior family members served in different theatre's in WWII. The people putting Harry and his men at risk are the same one's who can't shut the fcuk up about it. The Great British Media. If the TV news and papers didn't make a media feeding frenzy out of it the insurgent's wouldn't have known he was going in the first place.
Being a citizen of this country and a tax payer does not make you a part owner of the Royal family. They do not exist to serve US ! If our government had a pair they would tell Murdock et al to get the fcuk out of the war zones and treat them as the traitorous fcuking spies they are.
Any journalist caught in a war zone should be shot or hung for espionage and gibbeted on the border as a warning to others.

Whoa...just a minute there SB. I am NOT saying that he shouldnt serve there!!! Like you said, he joined the army and wants to go there....if you read my post you would also see that I said the same! The ONLY point I was making that it DOES increase the risks for most others and I DO think there will be a backlash if he is taken out!!

G

grumpyoldb

A hit on a royal in this particular operation in this political climate would be catastophic...

I'm with Vim on this one. Other forces personnel don't have the luxury of chosing what they do, and where. Why stretch our resourses still further?
What's the sense in putting another 20/30 bods in the firing line.
Send him to the south atlantic counting penguins.

C

cockneyrock

That would be media provided intelligence that is further enhanced by the idol speculative chitchat about the whole scenario by people in military chat rooms!
We are not allowed to discuss other serving people by name in this chat room (PERSEC) or, for that matter, details of current operations (OPSEC).

Mods - before this thread strays any further over these lines.

LOCK IT

M

mad_mo

We are not allowed to discuss other serving people by name in this chat room (PERSEC) or, for that matter, details of current operations (OPSEC).

Mods - before this thread strays any further over these lines.

LOCK IT

Disagree. Prince Harry is not currently serving in a current operation in Iraq, also the whole world and his mother knows he is in the Military so his name is not actually a secret!.

If our government had a pair they would tell Murdock et al to get the fcuk out of the war zones and treat them as the traitorous fcuking spies they are.

Then of course we could all enjoy and be informed by the 'Government Approved ' news and rest easy with our heads comfortably in the sand

Realist78

Master of my destiny
IMO, he'll go to Iraq otherwise there will have to be one hell of a face saving exercise. Yes, you could see it happening but FFS, his uniform's not just for ceremonial duties.:raf:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Maybe if they took the levely flags off the front of his vehicle it would make it harder for them to spot which vehicle he is in LOL

On a serious point he signed on the line so he does the time like everyone else.
But SB is right in that the whole media frenzy is making it a great propaganda stunt for the insurgents and now everyone is in a catch 22 position.

If he goes then increased risk and a great target for the enemy.
If he doesnt go, big loss of face and moral victory to insurgents.

But banning the media wont help either however if they actually started to report our efforts favourably rather than pounce on every little mistake we make then maybe the whole attitude towards our troops would change. I am not talking about lying like the Yanks.

It just appears to me that all the media especiall the BEEB in an effort to be impartial are reporting the more negative stuff rather than all the positive stuff so as not to be accused of bias.

P

pueblos

I'm with Vim on this one. Other forces personnel don't have the luxury of chosing what they do, and where. Why stretch our resourses still further?
What's the sense in putting another 20/30 bods in the firing line.
Send him to the south atlantic counting penguins.

You are forgetting one thing, Like you he is a volunteer too...

And unlike the 4 ****s that pulled a sicky and left me in the stan for an extra month, he wants to do his job... Let him

The effects can be no worse than Iraq now, 11 dead this month and counting...:pDT_Xtremez_08:

His uncle flew helecopters in the FI, with Argi jets in the air. He too was a priority target for their skyhawk pilots. But he served damn well...::p:

As to Harry, we know the fcukers will target him, we know the lads with him will have support, but that is the nature of his job, recce troop...::/:

All recce troops in Iraq and the Stan are backed up with a QRF element, so whats the difference??? The 20/30 troops are already there in the firing line.:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Try sitting at Al Amara for a month!!! or ask a fireman (which I am not):pDT_Xtremez_03:

He, as part of the constitutional leadership of the country, has stood up to be counted. :pDT_Xtremez_32:

Good on you lad, stay safe and come home whole:pDT_Xtremez_14:

But where are the children of the political leadership???? Will the fcuker who pushed us into these conflicts let his kids fight??? Would they do it out of a basic morale issue... No I think not:pDT_Xtremez_03:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Andrew served in the Falklands

But it came to light in the press (if you believed it) just after the war ended that Andrew was actually used as a "decoy" some way out of the zone of conflict. I find it very hard to believe that a Royal would ever be put in the firing line.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
But it came to light in the press (if you believed it) just after the war ended that Andrew was actually used as a "decoy" some way out of the zone of conflict. I find it very hard to believe that a Royal would ever be put in the firing line.

I think you'll find that Randy Andy was one of the chopper pilots that was pictured picking troops up off RFA Sir Galahad after it had been blown up. He was also involved in flying his Sea King as a decoy for incoming raids.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
I think you'll find that Randy Andy was one of the chopper pilots that was pictured picking troops up off RFA Sir Galahad after it had been blown up. He was also involved in flying his Sea King as a decoy for incoming raids.

I knew I read it somewhere

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Has anybody read the JAP100A01 re Royal flights lately?

God help the Merlin and Jungly Sea King guys if Harry needs to fly anywhere!

I can just picture the JEngO seeking IPT permission to fly him out of a firefight in an aircraft that hasn't been authorised for Royal flights.:pDT_Xtremez_35:

S

Seymour Tw@tt

I think he's fcuking lucky to be in the army at all, never mind fcuking commissioned. Would any of us have been accepted with his record of drunk & disorderly behaviour (we only did it AFTER joining), bringing the army into disrepute, smoking pot and being a chinless gwar hooray?

Oh, yeah, forgot. The guards regiments officers messes are full of the w@nkers...

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

N

Noodle

Personally, I think he should have gone, then had the press around for his return coing back off the flight, keeping it all hush hush.

I

ICATQ

Has the recent incident of the Challenger tank's armour being penetrated by an IED caused them concern?

Unless they are about to give him a Challi tank for his toy tank I doubt it, as one of the toy tanks was destroyed too. Now that would stand out!! Spot the odd one out.

If he is not allowed to go, victory for the insurgents.... If he does go and is given a desk job at say Basrah, thanks for nothing unless he buys me a pint went I get there.

Raising the stakes? Yep, but will we notice amongst all the other EFP's and IDF's.

They will need spot on intel to target him specifically with EFP and IDF is just as likely to take out his basha or mine... so in effect it comes down to luck. You feeling lucky your HRHness?