• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Granny Gets the Death Sentence

FOMz

Warrant Officer
There are apparentley extreme circumstances around this case... but if Mali decides that is the sentence handed down... possibly even as a deterrent to other westerners, than can we really argue? We moan about the EU getting involved in our laws, I don't think we should get involved against theirs, just because she is a Brit.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
What happens on their turf is their business but a deterrent? That's a non starter.

Last edited:

steve_k243

Sergeant
Not sure about Indonesia, but Malaysia certainly and Singapore (maybe) have mandatory sentencing when powders/pills above a few grammes are involved.

Digzster

Sergeant
When you go through the airports there you cannot miss the signs stating what the penalties are! They even put them in 5 languages. If you choose to ignore that....on your own head be it!
From what I have seen on the news it has not been a "sham" trail and the woman has shown no remorse (other than getting caught).

Jaymac

Sergeant
Let her swing! She'll be no loss to the gene pool.

Too late. She's a granny so she's already had a **** in the gene pool.

Normally I would say she deserves all she gets. If you travel to certain countries you know the rules and if you break them and get caught then hell mend you.

BUT......she co-operated with the feds and the prosecution only wanted a 15 year sentence so why did she get the seath sentence? A bad day for the judge's piles perhaps?

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
Slightly Off Topic....
But now she's been on telly and is famous....

.... would you?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

A real liney would!:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Let her swing!

(Pedant Mode) Their usual method is firing squad.

We often here of "when in Rome do as the Romans do etc etc" and like to apply that apparent logic to foreigners in this country who break OUR laws. Here someone has broken someones else's laws in another country surely the "when in Rome" brigade can't have much to say.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Listening to the radio tonight it's alleged she was targeted by gangs in Gloucester to carry the drugs who had threatened to harm her [grown up] kids and she suffers from a mental illness of some kind which makes her easy prey. They choose her because of her age so she may have sailed through customs but a 10% check got her.

Also it's very rare it actually goes to the firing squad...only 2 [same case] since 2008.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Surely a massive overdose of bring what you brung, would be more suitable, save the price of a few rounds

G

grumpyoldb

I can see this getting reduced to a prison sentence, then sent back to UK after a few months.

I think there trying to make an example of her to other westerners, you smuggle drugs then you will get the death penalty. She knew the risk, she's not a teenager.
Y

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Brit women who is bang to rights for cocaine smuggling gets the death sentence in Bali...

Does she deserve it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21137649

A granny with a history of mental health problems, whose grandchildren were being threatened by drug smugglers, is sentenced to death when the prosecution had asked for 15 years... It's not interfering with local autonomy to say that objectively this makes bad legal precedent, regardless of the offender's nationality. She should get the 15 years (and probably but not certainly will on appeal). I dare say the Indonesian taxpayer would prefer her to serve her sentence here. I've no problem with that.

G

gemarriott

A granny with a history of mental health problems, whose grandchildren were being threatened by drug smugglers, is sentenced to death when the prosecution had asked for 15 years... It's not interfering with local autonomy to say that objectively this makes bad legal precedent, regardless of the offender's nationality. She should get the 15 years (and probably but not certainly will on appeal). I dare say the Indonesian taxpayer would prefer her to serve her sentence here. I've no problem with that.

Here we fcuking go! bleeding heart "mental health professional" spouting yet more liberal sh1te! Let the drug smuggling bitch swing and hang her in a gibbet outside the departure terminal to rot and serve as a warning to future vermin!

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Here we fcuking go! bleeding heart "mental health professional" spouting yet more liberal sh1te! Let the drug smuggling bitch swing and hang her in a gibbet outside the departure terminal to rot and serve as a warning to future vermin!

I thought you had found "inner peace" and were going to be a good boy from now on? I think I'll start a 'Broken New Year Resolutions' thread. In view of the predictably intemperate language it'd better be in the Crew Room. See you in Pigs' Bar and you owe me a pint!

steve_k243

Sergeant
I wonder how many of theirs we have in our jails, then?

Probably a lot!
Given the difference between a UK nick and a SE Asian slammer I can't see any applications made by those in our nicks. The usual UK lose situation--we get to keep furriners in our nicks PLUS we get our drug mules back from Thailand etc once they have done 4 years I believe. Guess who is paying? The Aussies-Yanks etc etc all have similar arrangements.