• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Barlow in Afghanistan....

Craig855s

Sergeant
That was pretty decent that, seems a thoroughly nice chap in that. And the SAC medic was better than a lot of **** they say "yes" to in X factor so can we expect to see him there next year?

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I don't get these 'welfare' visits at all:

a. Only a select few get to see them and that's if they can get past the heirachy hogging them - ie Colin Montgomery came out and offered golfing lessons - awesome eh? No, that part was kept quiet and only the select few got the lessons. WHat about the lads and lasses further afield than BLS?

b. I'd rather just crack on with the job in hand.

c. Are these 'celebs' there for the welfare or their own publicity? Not many do under the radar visits and do it to splash their mugs across the media.

It's not bah humbug honest! I just don't get it.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer

a. Only a select few get to see them and that's if they can get past the heirachy hogging them - ie Colin Montgomery came out and offered golfing lessons - awesome eh? No, that part was kept quiet and only the select few got the lessons. WHat about the lads and lasses further afield than BLS?

c. Are these 'celebs' there for the welfare or their own publicity? Not many do under the radar visits and do it to splash their mugs across the media.

Total no-win situation then. I've seen people in here say that the public doesn't get to see or appreciate what they do and then when someone like Gary Barlow goes out to do something to show the troops they are appreciated they get slated for being publicity hogs.
Its obvious that the celeb visitors will be on a well choreographed program, there's no way they can get everywhere and meet everyone and the powers-that-be won't let them away from the relative security of Bastion. Its a total no-brainer.
To me Gary Barlow came across as honest and humbled by the experience. His 'band' were just ordinary lads and lasses - an SAC, a Sgt and a Flt Lt and it simply looked like he was doing what he could to give the those who could make it to the show a good time. Obviously not everyone could, it'll never happen but thats no a reason not to bother at all.
Just my opinion.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant

Katie Melua came out in the Summer with a couple of good comedians. The party went forward into the FOBs as played a small concert in BLS on their way back to the UK. Not a lot of publicity back home - I think the most was a video on Katie's You Tube 'channel'.

What did the trip achieve?

It provided a change to the usual succession of ground hog days for those out in the AOR.

It also provided something to talk to those back home about - especially for those that can't really talk about what they've done all day/week (either because it's classified or to gruesome to talk about, or it's just the same dull routine).

And it raised my moral a lot after Katie gave me a hug in the BSN departure lounge.

It's not for everyone, and those at BLS/KAF/Kabul generally have a pretty good deal anyway; however, if it's not for you then you don't have to go.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If he doesn't go - some think he doesn't care
If he goes and no publicity - No one knows except the few he meets
If he goes and it gets on telly he's a media whore - poor fecker can't win
Well done to the guy for bothering, for showing interest in those out there doing a good job in an unkind place.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If it makes one persons day in theatre, its worth it IMO.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
It's worth dodging tax to make 1 person happy?
It's partly because of people like him people are losing their jobs. I reckon they're not too happy.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
The man has been very successful and to be fair didn't need the PR so wasn't there because HAD to. He also seemed very genuine and I think what he did benefited the troops so good luck to him. I would rather a visit like that than some slimy politician who is only there because they have to be to try and garner votes!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Very good anyway back to the point of this thread. He did good for the morale of the troops!

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Wow you really do take it to extremes don't you if it's not pensions your bleating about its something else. Anyway shouldn't you be on strike or something else useful.

I'm sure you could link this story to anything you want but try to keep it somewhat on topic.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Any finally, to bring the thread back on topic – Gary Barlow – Good on him. I’d like to see more celebs take the time to visit the troops – it shows their support , and keeps the forces in peoples minds with a positive cultural association…

it shows their support

Not sure about that - maybe for some, but for others certainly a PR stunt. Had Danielle Lloyd out to Basra, did the bare minimum and couldn't wait to get the feck out of dodge.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
She's not exactly a Celeb though is she.

More of a Football WAG...CHING CHING...Move onto the next Footballer with money. At least she's got the CSA all tied up if she decides to leave the one she's with just now :-D!!!