• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ex Red going down.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
@4mastacker , funny you should mention the issue of "bringing them back into the RAF"; I was wondering whether their isolation at Scampton away from 'normal' people was a contributory factor to the state of affairs. Seems likely if the possibility had been recognized as far back as the Kemble closure.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
They are "back" at Waddo now and overflying the local area daily even though the airspace hasn't been cleared for use by them.

They are currently "temporarily" using the airspace daily. Flying all over the local area in formation spilling their diesel everywhere.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
@4mastacker , funny you should mention the issue of "bringing them back into the RAF"; I was wondering whether their isolation at Scampton away from 'normal' people was a contributory factor to the state of affairs. Seems likely if the possibility had been recognized as far back as the Kemble closure.
As I said, the plan included moving other elements of CFS along with its HQ to Scampton so they would not be the only flying unit on the station. The issue arose of conflicting flying programmes for the Reds and the rest of CFS as the Reds wanted to book the air space over the station for a couple of hours at least three times a day for their practices which put the kybosh on CFS's flying programme. How it worked out I don't know as I was posted. Perhaps someone forgot the real reason for their move to Scampton and scrubbed the CFS move.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I've said it before - i found most of them to be arses.

Stood on a gate checking ID's was always met with "don't you know who i am?". They answered the phones, Red 1, Red 2 etc - who the actual feck am i talking to?

But whenever we deployed with them, they always got the best hotels, functions and were happy to splash the cash!
When they do Cromer Air show stopping at Marham is a no no, lets stop at Norwich for high life 4* Hotels.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The PR battle is now important. If they become to toxic for brand RAF then questions will be asked in high places. Are they better retained and out there displaying or better to be consigned to the habits of an earlier age?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The PR battle is now important. If they become to toxic for brand RAF then questions will be asked in high places. Are they better retained and out there displaying or better to be consigned to the habits of an earlier age?
Get rid of them and show Joe Public that their like will not be tolerated.

The people may be new and white as snow but the name "Red Arrows" will forever be tainted by their history.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Which of Martin Pert or Tom Bould presided over this toxic culture referred to? Pert was 2017-2020 and Bould 2020-2023. It seems both of them had 3 years as Red 1 and neither was finished early.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OC RAFAT isn't Red One, this is refering to Montenegro is it not?

When they do Cromer Air show stopping at Marham is a no no, lets stop at Norwich for high life 4* Hotels.
While I've never been in or around the RAFAT, I suspect that's as much to do with airfield hours and staffing as accommodation, but let's not allow that to affect your opinion eh?

norfolkred1

Sergeant
While I've never been in or around the RAFAT, I suspect that's as much to do with airfield hours and staffing as accommodation, but let's not allow that to affect your opinion eh?
And having a F/S mate doing a favour of a driving the team from pan to Mess being called 'hey driver' did not go down too well. Just a bunch of arrogant fookers who are up their own asses. Yes I have seen them in action in the Sgts' Mess in Aki lauding it.

And having a F/S mate doing a favour of a driving the team from pan to Mess being called 'hey driver' did not go down too well. Just a bunch of arrogant fookers who are up their own asses. Yes I have seen them in action in the Sgts' Mess in Aki lauding it.
I don't doubt their opinion of themselves and general attitude's troublesome, and I'd drop them in a heartbeat. There are better things that could be done with a squadron's worth of engineers, support and even pilots.

If they're to survive, and personally I wouldn't shed a tear should they go, a large portion of humble pie needs to be taken on board. (Although the occasional jet over Mullah Towers has brought a grin to my face)

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I turned down a trip to Cyprus with them back in the day. My WO thought I was mad. I wasn’t going anywhere with the bunch of twats.
That's two of us then, I also, back in the day, turned down the same "opportunity"

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That's two of us then, I also, back in the day, turned down the same "opportunity"

I was at a Friday afternoon Mess bash in Cyprus and the Reds turned up en-masse and tried to muscle in to our event.

They were given short shrift and told in no uncertain terms that they weren't welcome.

Bruised ego's all round as they tried peeking through windows with now "pulled to" curtains to try and catch a glimpse of the belly dancer hired to entertain us.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I was at a Friday afternoon Mess bash in Cyprus and the Reds turned up en-masse and tried to muscle in to our event.

They were given short shrift and told in no uncertain terms that they weren't welcome.

Bruised ego's all round as they tried peeking through windows with now "pulled to" curtains to try and catch a glimpse of the belly dancer hired to entertain us.
But civvies love them.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
More bad news for the Reds if true.

" A senior RAF officer who toured with the Red Arrows display team has been arrested amid claims that 'extremely concerning' material was discovered on his phone. The top gun is now under criminal investigation for the material which is understood to be of a sexual nature. The probe being conducted by the Royal Military Police will also focus on whether the material was shared with other men."