• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ex Red going down.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hopefully he will spending some time at her majesty's pleasure

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It beggars belief that he couldn't work out the inevitable result of his actions.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
He was a pilot on 54(F) when I was there. Known as Lord Flasheart for the way he stood when briefing, a-la- Rik Mayall in Blackadder 4.

Shocked and disgusted that I have spent part of my life with him.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
A sick , sorry state of affairs.
Interesting how many 'Pprofessional aviators' (sic), are rapidly distancing themselves from any prior work with him.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
He was a pilot on 54(F) when I was there. Known as Lord Flasheart for the way he stood when briefing, a-la- Rik Mayall in Blackadder 4.

Shocked and disgusted that I have spent part of my life with him.
With his present actions, I do not disargee on your last comment.
A sick , sorry state of affairs.
Interesting how many 'Pprofessional aviators' (sic), are rapidly distancing themselves from any prior work with him.
Gill of Sqn Prints was a good friend of his. I bet not anymore. The name change and the move of him from his previous address is most likely Mrs telling him to take a walk.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Seems that he got away from serving time. Even wife's standing with him. My wife would have kicked me out and told me not to come back. RHIP smacks to mind.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
More trouble for the reds. "An insider claimed: 'There is a huge under-the-table inquiry going on. It's to do with alcohol and suspected inappropriate behaviour. The head of the RAF is personally involved in the Red Arrows probe.'"

An insider?? The cleaner, disgruntled shiny, fed up stacker, underpaid techie who knows. Fancy that though lots of booze leads to inappropriate behaviour whatever next, night following day.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
More trouble for the reds. "An insider claimed: 'There is a huge under-the-table inquiry going on. It's to do with alcohol and suspected inappropriate behaviour. The head of the RAF is personally involved in the Red Arrows probe.'"

An insider?? The cleaner, disgruntled shiny, fed up stacker, underpaid techie who knows. Fancy that though lots of booze leads to inappropriate behaviour whatever next, night following day.

That's the trouble with any 'elite' units. After a period of time, some members may come to believe that they are untouchable and can behave how they like. Maximum tour lengths and the like can help to prevent such issues, as can only recruiting to the unit those with the highest of personal & professional standards. I suspect that is why the Reds have fared so well over the years - because of their recruiting process. But if their standards have slipped...

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
9Soon to be waving bye bye to the MBE too me thinks. His new name will very soon be NOnCE (Not ON Communal Exercise)

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
That's the trouble with any 'elite' units. After a period of time, some members may come to believe that they are untouchable and can behave how they like. Maximum tour lengths and the like can help to prevent such issues, as can only recruiting to the unit those with the highest of personal & professional standards. I suspect that is why the Reds have fared so well over the years - because of their recruiting process. But if their standards have slipped...
Reds tour is 3 years and apart from exceptions has not been any longer. What do you know as your place outside the RAF like mine on their standards? A Supply Sqn is likely to have as much discord in its ranks. Jesus, I was at stations were the Supply Sqn had murder happening in its empire!

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Reds tour is 3 years and apart from exceptions has not been any longer. What do you know as your place outside the RAF like mine on their standards? A Supply Sqn is likely to have as much discord in its ranks. Jesus, I was at stations were the Supply Sqn had murder happening in its empire!
Oooh, Cat Techie with a grumpy head on....

If you read my post, you'll see I specifically referred to fixed tour lengths as being a mitigator against teams becoming too 'out of control'. I am well aware of the Reds' 3 year policy and think that has helped to save them this long. (Although a previous accident inquiry did identify a 'elite' culture leading to non-standard practices as being a contributory factor to the accident).

You're right that all Sqdns have some levels of discord within them - it is a responsibility of leadership to manage and mitigate them. Unfortunately some Sqdns (like the Reds) will attract much more attention from a wider audience when things start to go wrong and should, therefore, be even more focussed on avoiding or managing internal stresses.

mark20s

LAC
Doesn’t stop multiple tours though… OC is now coming to the end of his 3rd tour with them and many others are on 2nd tours now.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Doesn’t stop multiple tours though… OC is now coming to the end of his 3rd tour with them and many others are on 2nd tours now.
Yes they do and not hard to understand why. Limited pool of pilots does not help. Some of them have big egos as well. Reds I know personally include Smithy (same time as the thread starter) whom is who he is (was a great OC BBMF) and I had the joy of standing up to Mr Voderman in an officers mess when he questioned my reason for being in the place as I was a civilian guest. That was humorous. I do know personally one of the replacements for next year and he had no ego but is talented display pilot and human being and will be a great asset to them and to the RAF