• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

EVEL - At Last

G

Gord

Parliament has voted to introduce English Votes for English Laws (EVEL) after the government won the backing of MPs 312 votes to 270...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34599998

About time too....

Presactly, it makes no sense for an MP from Scotland to be able to vote on something that effects say health care or education in England when MP's from England cannot do the same in the case of a similar situation in Scotland.

Fvck the politics and the Labour pollies who are whining simply because they feel their members from Scotland won't be able to back them and boost their ranks on something that only effects England that they want to pass or reject. They should have thought of that before they decided they wanted all the power they've received through devolution.

Karma can be such a fickle bitch.

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Presactly, it makes no sense for an MP from Scotland to be able to vote on something that effects say health care or education in England when MP's from England cannot do the same in the case of a similar situation in Scotland.

Fvck the politics and the Labour pollies who are whining simply because they feel their members from Scotland won't be able to back them and boost their ranks on something that only effects England that they want to pass or reject. They should have thought of that before they decided they wanted all the power they've received through devolution.

Karma can be such a fickle bitch.

Wot he said + I bet wee Jimmy Krankee is throwing a hissy fit

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fvck the politics and the Labour pollies who are whining simply because they feel their members from Scotland won't be able to back them and boost their ranks on something that only effects England that they want to pass or reject.
Erm, Gord...you do know that a Scottish Labour MP is only slightly less rare than a Scottish Tory MP, don`t you ?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Let me see if I get this right....Scottish MPs at the moment can vote on matters concerning any UK constituency, such as hospitals and schools, but any MP who's constituency is in England currently doesn't have the right to vote on the same matters in Scotland? And Labour and the SNP are protesting about this???

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
This is one of the issues with having a federation of substates, through various degrees of devolution, whilst not having a federal government system in place.

Flip the Lords into an elected body responsiblity for UK wide legislature, with oversight of all the parliaments and limit the commons to English matters, or is this too simple.

Anyway I'm sure the current Lord's set up will bounce this as they try to frustrate the Tory government.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Let me see if I get this right....Scottish MPs at the moment can vote on matters concerning any UK constituency, such as hospitals and schools, but any MP who's constituency is in England currently doesn't have the right to vote on the same matters in Scotland? And Labour and the SNP are protesting about this???

Yes. Basically La Sturge has had her dream of "holding the English feet to the fire" ever so cruelly snatched away from her.

Not that I find it amusing (snigger!)

The current lop-sided devolution arrangement is clearly both unfair and unstable. There are plenty of us who voted No x 2 back in 1997 who saw all this nonsense coming. It's difficult to see where to go from here. The separatists will continue to stoke division and create differences. It's what they do after all. Meanwhile the supposedly unionist parties in Scotland (Tories excepted) try and out-Scot the SNP. A path that is doomed to fail.

Having said that, the bill as currently proposed does nothing much at all and will serve only to further feed the nationalists grievance mill.