• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Early Termination crisis inbound?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I mostly agree however:-
There are some A-licenced guys working in Base, as well as Line (Jet2 is example)
Not all B-licence holders work in 'Base Maintenance' (I'm sure you know that) they also work Line AND Base I have done both during my time.

Don't think you are my QM but I do hold B1.1, B1.2, B1.3, B2, B3, + C plus Group 3 :- every day is a school day, that is the beauty of this job, and realising that teamwork makes the dreamwork ;)
My bad! - the B1/B2 is a LINE certifying engineer not a base one, thought they ‘support’ the C in Base C.
CAT A’s are generally known as fitters when in base hangars - and no, I’m not your QM. I’m a Group QM for Parts 21J/21G, CAMO and 145 - plus whatever comes through the door…

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Why not?

In the dim distant long ago, lots of people aspired to do just that, a lifetime career in the service. Back in those days, most trades had multiple roles that people could do at different stages of their career, whether that be Sqn work, bay jobs or even 'factory work' at places like Sealand or St Athan. The opportunities were different for each trade. Similarly, there were so many more units that an individual could spend a career in RAF Lincolnshire or RAF East Anglia and be posted yet still be within a short drive from a carefully chosen home when one got to that stage. I even knew one Chief who , it was reputed, had served his entire career at Odiham, moving between Sqdn to Bay to ASF to ECP&F etc with each promotion. The point being that a full career could be pretty varied if an individual wanted or as static as they chose. Unfortunately, stations are few and far between now, the variety of roles has been reduced and the opportunities for fun and 'out of the norm' experiences has greatly diminished and so the attractions of a lifetime in uniform have dwindled for many.

But if she has found a way to have a rewarding career that suits her needs then why shouldn't she make the most of it?
Yes, the legendary C/T Vic Nodder (deceased) spent at least 25 years at ODI where, every evening, he and his wife and most of their family would be propping up the Families Club Bar… we used to watch the net curtains dropping apart in the windows of their Quarter.
It took more than six months to replace the woodwork (incl floors) and redecorate their home when they eventually left - He and his wife didn’t last many years after leaving…

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Indeed. B1.1and last time I did anything remotely base maintenance related was the paint jobs my lot did in Rigga's domain. Never saw him leave his desk TBQH. However that was 4 paint inputs in a 7 year period were I have been on the line. Nothing else but working outside all the time. What is a hangar?
I didnt have to leave my office - and i did indeed spend most of my time, while you were, there watching films on my PC… Your aircraft were filling up the paint bays - but were not on my contract…. I loved that job!

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
I have no currency on my licence (737 Classics and EC145) none of which would have been useful in my current place….but I still top 70K.
Your licence is worthless without currency on something. It is your form 4 that is money earner. A subjective ticket from the CAA old boys network. There is an MRO in gammon land that has CAA approvals to do base maint on many types. Tried EASA approvals and they objectivily said " Come back when you are actually in a position to be able to do the work". I was there on an AOG and my next email was upstairs saying " Anyone actually come to this place before you signed a contract?"

dctyke

Corporal
Yes, the legendary C/T Vic Nodder (deceased) spent at least 25 years at ODI where, every evening, he and his wife and most of their family would be propping up the Families Club Bar… we used to watch the net curtains dropping apart in the windows of their Quarter.
It took more than six months to replace the woodwork (incl floors) and redecorate their home when they eventually left - He and his wife didn’t last many years after leaving…
When I successfully got my last tour of duty the guy who was due to replace me on promotion was from the unit I was going to, he turned down the offer. When I arrived at the unit it was clear that he thought I had prevented his promotion by taking the posting. He had been at the unit over 17yrs and 4 promotions. This was a time when the RAF had many more units than today. It seems that more than a few units or close clusters had examples of folks who never seemed to move over many years.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
And that wasn't the name that I was thinking of so there must have been at least 2 long termers there!