• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Early Termination crisis inbound?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Ok, so a 22 yr SNCO could walk with their £11K a year pension and earn up to £40k spannering as a mech. Total income approx £50k.

Why stay in?
11k pre tax will be easily eaten up with increased pension and commuting costs, so best case would be back where you've started, which is no bad thing, quality of life could be better, although KS did mention that the salary includes shift so basic could be a lot less for an easier life.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Unlicensed technicians are called "mechanics" in civ-air world, they do not have oversig' /release to service responsibilities etc and are mostly the 'doers' on the tools.

A-licence holders are the 'techs'

B-licence holders are called the 'engineers'

The mechanics can be a mixed bunch, some are young guys starting out on their aviation careers and naturally need supervision and training but many are often very experienced and skilled, and are very valuable to an MRO.

Very broadly wages wise I would say mid 30's to mid 40's for mechs, dependant on experience and includes a shift allowance.
A-licenced holders probably mid £40'sk to £50k. LAE's are probably of start around £55k going up to £80k dependant on experience, licence cover and type ratings held. Some LAE's earn quite a bit more than that upper figure with rare or high-demand Type coverage
Regional airline B1 LAEs on flat rates earn less that the A Cats for Jet 2 etc. As a B1 with 3 types when at Eastern, I just topped 50. On less with my current company.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Maybe doesn't live next to an airport?
I think it’s mainly a Service thing, where you automatically live where you work.
Engineers are in big demand, trains trucks and planes. The thread is about an increase in ETs, which some trades are now experiencing.
The McCloud judgement is a false trail, those that were going to act on it will have done so.
The increased numbers of those 50+ that have seen the light post Covid is the draw to your service person now; middle management.
Each to their own, but the military does not have the monopoly it thinks on close knit, good banter environments; in fact the average bear only promotes because they have swallowed the shite dripping from the top. The fun will continue to evaporate.
CK
Him, her, whatever

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Ok, so a 22 yr SNCO could walk with their £11K a year pension and earn up to £40k spannering as a mech. Total income approx £50k.

Why stay in?
I did, and I earn considerably more than £50k but I am multi licensed and multi typed. However, it is not for everyone, as some have said there may not be an airport within easy commute, for others the aviation industry can be quite volatile, and that volatility presents problems/uncertainties. Many of my colleagues were shown the door during Covid for example and have subsequently moved away from aviation and will probably not go back. I've been out 13 yrs or so and had 4 employers for example ( 2 of those employers I rented accommodation when on shift).

There are fkn d1ckheads in every sphere of employment, but Aviation and HR for that matter, has more than its fair share of complete w*nkers. At the end of the day chasing 'the big money' aint for everyone. With the big salaries come bigger responsibilities, employers want their lb of flesh, so its all a question for the individual and their individual priorities. There are some who want to ease back - work 3 days a week spend time with families etc etc. A long time buddy of mine (ex aircraft eng) has his own business away from aviation.

The good aspects within the RAF is that there is, for the most part, a higher standard of self disciplined personnel within the RAF. Arguably that is one of the reasons why certain employers like ex-serving personnel. You can have a very robust convo with your big gaffer; if you did that outside you'd probably be collecting your P45. Wives/partners may like the area for employment and have good careers; kids settled in schools etc. Also the RAF has probably been a 'comfort blanket' for several years and there is an understandable fear of change.

So Mutty, it aint always just about the £££££s its about individual priorities and quality of life

Last edited:

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Regional airline B1 LAEs on flat rates earn less that the A Cats for Jet 2 etc. As a B1 with 3 types when at Eastern, I just topped 50. On less with my current company.
Hence why I said "very broadly" at the outset. Eastern are 'bottom feeders' in every sense of the word. Lakey is a complete d1ckhead as I am sure you will agree

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Good point KS, in civi street you can sell your stress, easy life, then low pay, more money then more of your soul goes on the block.

I must have set my price right as I enjoy what I do and I've so far managed to avoid any significant gaps in employment, I’ve taken over activities where others have topped out below the required performance level.

6 employers in 12 years, and whilst I can cope with the turnover, my current Company have probably got the capacity to keep me busy for a few years to come if the timing works out, they’re also a really nice company to work for, at junior manager and below at least. As with most big companies once you become a Head of life gets complicated.

I’ve got limitations, the boring BAU stuff turns me off and I fail, the need to get things done can worry a few poor performers, who can be quite damaging if they’ve got access to the right ears, hey thats the benefit of being on short term contracts, I don't expect to be there forever.

With hindsight I’d probably have had a better career if I had PVRd earlier, however, I enjoyed my time in so didnt really feel the need to leave.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Hence why I said "very broadly" at the outset. Eastern are 'bottom feeders' in every sense of the word. Lakey is a complete d1ckhead as I am sure you will agree
Try KLM UKE at NWI, never got in there and they do not pay. They are happy to be a licence school and use the young boys. Tricky is that. Depends where you got into the business. End of the day a 6 week course gets you rated once you have first type. You get the actual knowledge working on them, application of the competency you have already (I have seen some horror stories in my time of 13 years outside mind).

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Try KLM UKE at NWI, never got in there and they do not pay. They are happy to be a licence school and use the young boys. Tricky is that. Depends where you got into the business. End of the day a 6 week course gets you rated once you have first type. You get the actual knowledge working on them, application of the competency you have already (I have seen some horror stories in my time of 13 years outside mind).
Totally agree with you regarding KLM - I know a few connys there who just do the winter schedule then have our summer off. However there are other operators at NWI in the rotary world, who most certainly do pay. Yes the expectations are high with those employers, but the cash in the bank at the end of the month can ease the pain somewhat. But again they are beholden to volatility of oil prices, so there can often be an unceremonious cull of staff, so it is not always a good option.... Its about riding the wave for as long as you can, jump onto the next wave, before it crashes on the beach.

But since this thread was about an ET crisis, the RAF has been burying its head in the sand for 10-20 years or so. I think that the RAF is not an attractive employer, the pay is lower (especially for TG1) the moral is low, and the pro's of military life that were once enjoyed are not there any longer, (look at the pension regs). I honestly believe that the Top Brass accept that there will be a high turn-over of staff, 6 years and out - there problem will be to retain good performing staff who will pass on experience. So things will definitely have to change IMHO

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Totally agree with you regarding KLM - I know a few connys there who just do the winter schedule then have our summer off. However there are other operators at NWI in the rotary world, who most certainly do pay. Yes the expectations are high with those employers, but the cash in the bank at the end of the month can ease the pain somewhat. But again they are beholden to volatility of oil prices, so there can often be an unceremonious cull of staff, so it is not always a good option.... Its about riding the wave for as long as you can, jump onto the next wave, before it crashes on the beach.

But since this thread was about an ET crisis, the RAF has been burying its head in the sand for 10-20 years or so. I think that the RAF is not an attractive employer, the pay is lower (especially for TG1) the moral is low, and the pro's of military life that were once enjoyed are not there any longer, (look at the pension regs). I honestly believe that the Top Brass accept that there will be a high turn-over of staff, 6 years and out - there problem will be to retain good performing staff who will pass on experience. So things will definitely have to change IMHO
Cannot disagree.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Are there still Top Tables in Messes, and if so, do they take place during the day, and if so do those attending have to take half a days' leave?
not many as they charge a pi55taking amount in the mess, the last few have been in the local town, 3 course sit down for half the price the Mess/ISS wanted to charge, and the food was better!

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
WE have just had 1 chief leave after 32, stepped straight into amazon on 52k with a 16k bonus plus shares, and as he will freely admit he did'nt want the job! its the 22-32 they need to keep, if it doesn't suit people are leaving, who wants to live in a mess anymore? who wants to be fragged on a front line sqn going from extended shifts to shader, to estonia to the FI then exercises and courses? Family comes first and as its been said, it ain't a career anymore, its a job. Promotion when you name comes out of the lottery draw is a poison challis, i personally have turned promotion down more than once and have stayed in as my job is piss easy and i'm 5 minutes away from my house, my pension goes up 1k every year i stay and 3k on my lump sum, ill leave after LOS 35 as a happy chief.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
WE have just had 1 chief leave after 32, stepped straight into amazon on 52k with a 16k bonus plus shares, and as he will freely admit he did'nt want the job! its the 22-32 they need to keep, if it doesn't suit people are leaving, who wants to live in a mess anymore? who wants to be fragged on a front line sqn going from extended shifts to shader, to estonia to the FI then exercises and courses? Family comes first and as its been said, it ain't a career anymore, its a job. Promotion when you name comes out of the lottery draw is a poison challis, i personally have turned promotion down more than once and have stayed in as my job is piss easy and i'm 5 minutes away from my house, my pension goes up 1k every year i stay and 3k on my lump sum, ill leave after LOS 35 as a happy chief.
And it's people like you turning down promotion and blocking progression that are partly causing the problem. Not wanting to step outside your comfort zone. Letting the punchy minority take on all the hard work until they are burnt out.

I hope you've got an exit plan sorted otherwise you'll be in for a surprise when you come out. You are expected to work hard on the outside.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
And it's people like you turning down promotion and blocking progression that are partly causing the problem. Not wanting to step outside your comfort zone. Letting the punchy minority take on all the hard work until they are burnt out.

I hope you've got an exit plan sorted otherwise you'll be in for a surprise when you come out. You are expected to work hard on the outside.
Sounds a tad HARSH!! I can tell you right now that the people who DON'T want promoted are exactly the people the RAF needs but they're NOT stupid. When you have an organisation which is thriving on back-stabbing and self-serving people to get to the top why shouldn't the SMART people take a good wage and let others play politics when you are near your home and have a good quality of family life???!!!! I would argue it's the accelerated promotion of the undeserving and self-serving tick-boxers with actual limited experience that is causing more issues!!!!! Myself..... I don't need a full-time job to top up my pension. Got my mortgage paid!!!!!! Not going to rag myself in an American style corporate model to show what is like on the outside because others haven't planned 22 years in advance!! I DID PLAN...22 Years in advance!!!!!!!

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I would argue it's the accelerated promotion of the undeserving and self-serving tick-boxers with actual limited experience that is causing more issues!!!!!

Someone needs to be the boss, and if the most suitable people turn it down then you are left with having to metaphorically pick the fat kid who is always left till the end.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Sounds a tad HARSH!! I can tell you right now that the people who DON'T want promoted are exactly the people the RAF needs but they're NOT stupid. When you have an organisation which is thriving on back-stabbing and self-serving people to get to the top why shouldn't the SMART people take a good wage and let others play politics when you are near your home and have a good quality of family life???!!!! I would argue it's the accelerated promotion of the undeserving and self-serving tick-boxers with actual limited experience that is causing more issues!!!!! Myself..... I don't need a full-time job to top up my pension. Got my mortgage paid!!!!!! Not going to rag myself in an American style corporate model to show what is like on the outside because others haven't planned 22 years in advance!! I DID PLAN...22 Years in advance!!!!!!!
I understand that not wanting promotion and keeping people in post for many years aids stability and keeps experience. It also harbours the "we've always done it that way" mentality. There is a need for both thought processes.

If SMART equals doing the same easy job for years then count me out, where's the challenge/ personal growth? Try something new you never know where it may lead.

If you know how to play the promotion game then you have accelerated your way to a better pension under the new career average scheme. So those that get promoted early are likely to be having a better retirement with more cash in their pockets.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
"If SMART equals doing the same easy job for years then count me out, where's the challenge/ personal growth? Try something new you never know where it may lead."

Maybe people enjoy their current role and job and work with a good bunch of people? Also experience is not something to be sniffed at as long as they are prepared to pass on the knowledge and develop others within their AOR.

And again balancing up their family and personal life. Promotion in the RAF isn't what it used to be from a financial point of view with greater responsibilities not matched by the incremental wage increases. EXAMPLE: Top Ex ROCK WO that I worked with - Told me how a Regt FS at a certain camp oop North on the Moray Firth was offered his WO at their main depot DANN SAFF!! Turned it down..why??? House in the area and lots of travel 100s of miles away from the family. Result. Financial loss and lots of time away from the family.

No brainer.....

Last edited:

ERT

Corporal
Before the pension point, the individual is flexible to meet the service needs.

After the pension point, the service needs to be flexible to meet individual needs.

If promotion fits, it fits.. Those who can earn more outside of the MOD will do so, those who can't ~ will remain.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant

After the pension point, the service needs to be flexible to meet individual needs.

If promotion fits, it fits.. Those who can earn more outside of the MOD will do so, those who can't ~ will remain.
1659537847064.png

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts

Slightly right. I've always believed that those who go past 22 fall into 1 of 3 types.

(1) Those who genuinely enjoy it.
(2) Those who don't know their true worth.
(3) Those who do know their true worth.

I hardly know anyone from my time in who fits (1) now and as I approached my own time to leave in 2020 I was seeing loads of 2 & 3's.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Got told this week that your Personal Objectives need to be laid on how they affect the service and how it benefits it, not you. Personal Objectives :D