• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do WAF's Still Wear Stockings

WOM

LAC
Do WAF's Still Wear Stockings

Probably not alloweed to wear stockings due to Health & Safety Regulations.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not sure these days. I distinctly remember seeing lots of stockings when lying between Air Traffickers legs while repairing their CRT's as a young Radar Mechanic though. Always seemed to take ages to fix those.....

RAF Girl.jpg

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
That is not the correct hat IAW AP1358. Nor are they the correct issued shoes to be worn in No1 dress.
Ye gods,
Ye Gods; a 1970's hat with a much more recent jacket (I can't recall when the Eagle re-appeared on jackets - 1995? but the jacket doesn't colour match the skirt). I am going to have to study this picture very very carefully...... I might have to take down her particulars......

Stax

Flight Sergeant
My, attractive young "boss" wears the hold ups with the lacy tops. I was on a Det as Sgt Stax where the three WRAF Officers were all attractive, stocking wearers. Imagine my delight when, at an O Gp I could see up all three sets of skirts, 2 suspenders and 1 hold ups. Ahhhhhhhhh those halcyon days

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
My, attractive young "boss" wears the hold ups with the lacy tops. I was on a Det as Sgt Stax where the three WRAF Officers were all attractive, stocking wearers. Imagine my delight when, at an O Gp I could see up all three sets of skirts, 2 suspenders and 1 hold ups. Ahhhhhhhhh those halcyon days

Stax do you rememeber when I asked a new young female officer if she was wearing nylon underwear while I was dipping the petrol tanks at a top secret Tornado base somewhere in Lincolnshire? When she said yes I asked her to stand behind the white line or go into the POL office and remove it because of the static. Sorry no photographs guys but it's twoo!

dkh51250

Sergeant
The service actually did used to issue silk underwear to the ladies. Many pairs used to end up in amongst the scrap clothing.

dkh51250

Sergeant
Where did you sniff that one out from? :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Coz I is old and bold, and worked in clothing in those days. We also used to issue sanitary towels, however, they were mainly used by the ladies. for window cleaning on bull nights. I have a head full of trivia such as this.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Coz I is old and bold, and worked in clothing in those days. We also used to issue sanitary towels, however, they were mainly used by the ladies. for window cleaning on bull nights. I have a head full of trivia such as this.

We also used to issue leather and stainless steel suspender belts! That would be some woman!!!

An KIWI, yes I do remember that, I believe she is still in although due to leave soon, and still fit!

Bren

LAC
I Remember in the good old days doing my training at swinderby and all the WAF's were made to wear stockings under their skirts, it was listed on their clothing list as items to bring from home. are those days a distant memmory or do Wafs still wear stockings under their uniform?
What year did they start/finish doing their training at Swinders as they weren't there in my time. Sounds like I missed out.

They did their training at Hereford.

Last edited: