• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Danger!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
We're over half way through this campaign and I am genuinely worried that Milliband will get in with the support of the SNP; regardless of what he says about an alliance with the SNP I think he would entertain working with Beelzebub himself if it meant a five year Labour term in office.....

I have to say it has been an utterly lacklustre campaign so far, though....I haven't been canvassed once!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If labour admit now to working with the SNP post election, which is bound to happen unless the Tories get a majority, they will haemorrhage voters to UKIP as a reaction.

The slogan you won't here but is probably true, a vote for labour is a vote for the SNP.

Last GE I voted Lim Dem because I stupidly didn't think Nick Clegg was the lying, spineless tw@ he's turned out to be.

I'll be voting Labour this time around, and I hope they do a deal with the SNP to get in power. Nothing anyone can say will convince me that another term with the Conservatives at the helm is a good idea.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Last GE I voted Lim Dem because I stupidly didn't think Nick Clegg was the lying, spineless tw@ he's turned out to be.

I'll be voting Labour this time around, and I hope they do a deal with the SNP to get in power. Nothing anyone can say will convince me that another term with the Conservatives at the helm is a good idea.

I'd be interested to understand how you think a Labour /SNP alliance would in any way be better than a Conservative Govt - granted they are all pretty poor but the thought of that Scottish harpy having a say on how the rest of the UK is governed scares the cr*p out of me....

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'd be interested to understand how you think a Labour /SNP alliance would in any way be better than a Conservative Govt - granted they are all pretty poor but the thought of that Scottish harpy having a say on how the rest of the UK is governed scares the cr*p out of me....

If I may come in at the side of your conversation...I've always voted Tory, but this election I will not because:

• EU Referendum, I'm against this.
  • Right to buy housing association properties...wtf?!
  • Manifesto promise of free 30 hours, non-means-tested childcare
  • The continuation of free school meals for rich kids...why?
  • The ever-widening gap between rich and poor
  • Bedroom tax...good idea but implemented too quickly. Should've been discounted if there is no available stock to move you to and incentives to build 1 bed flats
  • Mishandling the Scot's and not aiming for SNPs record in Scotland, allowing free hits at Westminster
  • Manifesto promise of reducing uni fees but no more help with living expenses

br9mp81

Corporal
if voting changed anything it would be stopped,if your a normal person on normal wages,living a normal life,stand by to be shafted whoever gets in,one thing is clear the SNP will not stop till they get another vote as we have seen,the scottish are keen to see SNP rape the english,but not got the balls to vote for going the whole hog,i wonder how a vote to break the union by the english would go after a year of SNP rule.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
If I may come in at the side of your conversation...I've always voted Tory, but this election I will not because:

• EU Referendum, I'm against this.
  • Right to buy housing association properties...wtf?!
  • Manifesto promise of free 30 hours, non-means-tested childcare
  • The continuation of free school meals for rich kids...why?
  • The ever-widening gap between rich and poor
  • Bedroom tax...good idea but implemented too quickly. Should've been discounted if there is no available stock to move you to and incentives to build 1 bed flats
  • Mishandling the Scot's and not aiming for SNPs record in Scotland, allowing free hits at Westminster
  • Manifesto promise of reducing uni fees but no more help with living expenses

You raise some good points there, and I happen to agree with some of them.....I am no Tory fan at the moment, but I have to weigh up the prospect of a Conservative Govt against a party who
  • would ban zero hours contracts which despite all the bad press provide a degree of flexibility for workers old and young
  • will recruit 8,000 more GPs and 20,000 more nurses - where from? Either this means a massive recruitment programme, or it means bringing recruits in from overseas...
  • will give 16- and 17-year-olds the vote - really? Is a 16 year old mature enough to know what's going on in the country?

Add some of the SNP policies into the mix, such as increasing our contribution to the EU, opposition to plans for a new generation of Trident nuclear weapons and seeking to build an alliance in the House of Commons against Trident renewal, and seek to amend the legislation to ensure that no constituent part of the UK can be taken out of the EU against its will, by proposing a 'double majority' rule - meaning that unless England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each vote to leave the EU, the UK would remain a member state.........you end up with a very dangerous alternative...

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This will be GE #9 for me (I think) and I am bored to fcuking death with all of it. The nauseating speeches, manifesto's, promises, analising, predictions et-al of any of the parties mean nothing.

From where I see it a party or politician is successful while they can manipulate hindsight. As soon as there are too many gaps to hide and they can't paper over the cracks quickly enough they are temporary failures. This has applied to the Labs and Cons for donkeys years.

What will happen post May 7th, I haven't a clue - however it turns out I'll put money on that it won't be as bad as what happened after the 1935 election.

I will vote for the cons. Not because they have the best politicians, manifesto or made great promises - it's simply because I think they are a bit closer to my belief that the best way to a successful world is through creating an environment in which the man on the Clapham omnibus can thrive through their own efforts and therefore pull others along with them.

Blue72

SAC
You raise some good points there, and I happen to agree with some of them.....I am no Tory fan at the moment, but I have to weigh up the prospect of a Conservative Govt against a party who
  • would ban zero hours contracts which despite all the bad press provide a degree of flexibility for workers old and young
  • will recruit 8,000 more GPs and 20,000 more nurses - where from? Either this means a massive recruitment programme, or it means bringing recruits in from overseas...
  • will give 16- and 17-year-olds the vote - really? Is a 16 year old mature enough to know what's going on in the country?

Add some of the SNP policies into the mix, such as increasing our contribution to the EU, opposition to plans for a new generation of Trident nuclear weapons and seeking to build an alliance in the House of Commons against Trident renewal, and seek to amend the legislation to ensure that no constituent part of the UK can be taken out of the EU against its will, by proposing a 'double majority' rule - meaning that unless England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each vote to leave the EU, the UK would remain a member state.........you end up with a very dangerous alternative...

On the point highlighted above you could also add "And have repeatedly failed to indicate how they would pay for this in spite of being asked in just about every forum possible now..."

As anyone who has ever listened to Martin Lewis on TV or Radio knows - when in serious levels of debt - you need to work out where your money is going first, and stop spending other than the bare minimum that you need for essentials. Whether people like it or not, that is what the current Government have done, and it IS working. Funnily enough those who seem to be doing the most bleating about "austerity" seem to be those who smoke heavily, drink more than they should, and have more shiny gadgets than Currys, with a fecking great amount of credit card debt to show for it...

What by doubling the debt? By implementing a system which has seen the overall tax take reduce significantly?

I maybe suggest you have another look at MoneySavingExpert and see where it mentions running a national economy? It is far more nuanced than you suggest and as our economy is so horrifically unbalanced towards finance and service; reliant on ordinary citizens having spare money to spend.

This is why it is argued by many prominent economists that Austerity is a flawed route out of our current problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I still don't understand why we have to keep borrowing money in the first place - I thought we were trying to pay off the national debt, not maintain it!?Maybe I'm just being a bit too 'black and white' about it, but the way I see it we generate more money than we're spending, so we borrow the remainder to meet our spending requirements. If we were sensible about it, we would stop spending money on 'non-essential items' thereby negating the need to borrow further money (ironically, just as any sane person with personal debt would). Yes, certain things would have to continue to swallow money - the NHS, education, Defence, etc etc, but I'm sure there are areas where we could just hold up our hands as a country and say "We're really sorry, but we just can't afford that right now. Maybe next year?" (Foreign Aid and Euro membership instantly spring to mind, though I admit the latter is a bone of contention for some).

Blue72

SAC
GFF - as I'm sure you know it takes approximately 10 years for an economic plan to work through the system. It was inevitably going to be that at this stage the debt was potentially going to have to increase before it started dropping. The fact is though that the country is in a far healthier state now than it was at the end of the last Government in terms of employment and growth.

I am an "ordinary citizen" - in a low paid job. The Mr is in an averagely paid job. As a household we have all regular bills to pay - we get no subsidies on the cost of living nor do we get any benefits to help with this. As a result of being careful with money though, watching what we spend and ensuring that the amount going out comes in below the amount coming in, we're not finding that "the cost of living is impossible" as so many people seem to be suggesting. On the other hand, neither are we owners of the latest shiny gadgets or eating M&S microwave dinners every night. I suspect many of those complaining might well be better off learning to cook and putting off the purchase of a 52" flatscreen until they have - shock horror - saved for it, though!

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
GFF - as I'm sure you know it takes approximately 10 years for an economic plan to work through the system. It was inevitably going to be that at this stage the debt was potentially going to have to increase before it started dropping.

If you know that, why doesn`t OC Economy know that ? (Could it be that a modern history degree and zero real work experience doesn`t bestow knowledge ?)
And why did CMD think that the debt would be halved by now ?

The fact is though that the country is in a far healthier state now than it was at the end of the last Government in terms of employment and growth.

Go on, what figures are you using to prove that ?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you know that, why doesn`t OC Economy know that ? (Could it be that a modern history degree and zero real work experience doesn`t bestow knowledge ?)
And why did CMD think that the debt would be halved by now ?

Why did CMD think debt would be coming down, because he didn't think Europe would take so long to sort out their economies.

ONS stats will show that growth is up and expected to stay up, employment is up and unemployment is down.

At the same time wages are rising higher than inflation.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant

If anyone honestly believes that is what they will do then as is their right put an 'X' in the box for Labour/SNP but; while all parties have failed to implement manifesto promises the reason we have had the savage cuts lies firmly at the feet of B'liar, Brun, and Balls! They destroyed the healthy economy they inherited from the Tories post Labour(unions ruined and nearly broke the country) we had, emptied the treasury(and left a **** taking note on there way out the door after 3 terms in office).
It seems that if you look back at the past you will see Labour destroy the country then protest and complain when the Tories have to come in and clear up the mess. They make the highly unpopular but necessary decisions needed to sort out the mess.

It has happened before and will happen again. Lets not forget that Ed Balls flat out denied that Labour had ruined the economy and said he would do the same again. As for Zero hours that flourished under Labour, Deregulation of the banks Labour....Did nothing about the Financial sector Labour and the list goes on

Last edited:

Blue72

SAC

Well I knew it as a result of a basic interest in keeping up with current affairs, but for those like yourself that have no interest in that area a simple Google Search turns up lots of nice cheerful information. You can have this one for free but after that I'm afraid you're going to need to exercise your own fingertips...