• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cpl-Sgt 2016

Surely you have activated your last post option? If not b-line down to PSF today.

Trust me I have tried all options. The Desk are not budging at all, have tried the CoC and its now up to Wg Cdr level, who has no qualms about taking it up to Force Cmdr Level.

I know from past experience that if I was to take the offer and ask to move in 18 months time because of the length of time I have left I wouldn't be offered a posting back to my area of choice. This is something I looked at doing at the start of the year at my current unit when I asked to move for health reasons.

They wonder why people are leaving both the trade and the service in droves.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
What would your options be if the posted you as a Corporal Acting Sergeant?

Trust me I have tried all options. The Desk are not budging at all, have tried the CoC and its now up to Wg Cdr level, who has no qualms about taking it up to Force Cmdr Level.

I know from past experience that if I was to take the offer and ask to move in 18 months time because of the length of time I have left I wouldn't be offered a posting back to my area of choice. This is something I looked at doing at the start of the year at my current unit when I asked to move for health reasons.

They wonder why people are leaving both the trade and the service in droves.

There is only one promotion worth taking. For the last six years they messed me around, I just held out for the pension, I know i'll get slated for this, but it ain't like it use to be. Thankfully I took that promotion and now I don't miss it at all....why did you sign for two more years of misery. Take that leap of faith, you will not regret it!

There is only one promotion worth taking. For the last six years they messed me around, I just held out for the pension, I know i'll get slated for this, but it ain't like it use to be. Thankfully I took that promotion and now I don't miss it at all....why did you sign for two more years of misery. Take that leap of faith, you will not regret it!

I signed on purely for the money - the extra 2 years meant I'd get an additional lump sum at 67, something I wouldn't get if I left at 22 years.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
As far as I'm aware I would only be posted as a Sgt accepting promotion, or as a Cpl if I rejected it.
If I am reading your reply correctly you could end up with the same posting as a Corporal possibly doing the same or similar job dipping out on the pay difference between Corporal and Sergeant and eventually the pension difference also.

A mate of mine was in a similar situation in the late 80s (TG 2 Cpl) posted from Leeming to Leuchars on promotion to Sergeant. He declined the promotion but they posted him anyway and he dipped out on two years seniority in the rank of Sergeant.

If I am reading your reply correctly you could end up with the same posting as a Corporal possibly doing the same or similar job dipping out on the pay difference between Corporal and Sergeant and eventually the pension difference also.

A mate of mine was in a similar situation in the late 80s (TG 2 Cpl) posted from Leeming to Leuchars on promotion to Sergeant. He declined the promotion but they posted him anyway and he dipped out on two years seniority in the rank of Sergeant.

Its the fact that they'd move me purely to f**k me around because I haven't accepted the posting, which will affect me and my family. The Desk is making out that I'm the only person in the Trade in the existing pool of Sgts or those straight off the PSL who can go to this posting. There are another 38 people below me to reach the estimated number of 60 to take this job.

I have to get to Aug 17 to be eligible for my pension - baring in mind the RAF came to me asking me to stay in as a Cpl, to stay in the job that I'm happy to be in for the next couple of years I feel that they are forcing me to look at life outside the RAF.

What's the job?

Network Monitoring of NATO systems - have checked and it's a small section, Sgt is the lowest rank in the team. Sounds like they had to put a Sgt in the post as our Allies have put their Sgt equivalent in there (couple of US WO in the mix as well).

Find it hard that this is such a priority slot to fill, and that I'm the only person to fill it ..

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Network Monitoring of NATO systems - have checked and it's a small section, Sgt is the lowest rank in the team. Sounds like they had to put a Sgt in the post as our Allies have put their Sgt equivalent in there (couple of US WO in the mix as well).

Find it hard that this is such a priority slot to fill, and that I'm the only person to fill it ..

Would look very good on a CV though !!

unruly1986

Sergeant

Aren't NATO jobs a priority due to the fact if they aren't filled they are lost forever?

Nonetheless it seems strange that they can't ping someone further down the list.

Are you longest in post ? If not then how can they justify posting you as a Cpl, I would think it's an idle threat and they are ****ed with you not accepting what they have offered.

To me you are very lucky you haven't got a really family wrecking posting, the first whatever number on the PSL ended up gong to 90SU what a reward for their efforts. Fancy going to Eastern Europe or Middle East for 6 months at a time, thought not.

Promotion to Sgt is damn hard to get (taken me 20) and the initial posting rarely works in your favour, they have dangled the carrot and if you choose not to take it there are a few hundred hungry people who will unfortunately.

I obviously don't know your circumstances, but to be brutally honest unless you have a rock solid reason why getting posted to ??? will ruin yours and your families life then they might just think you are being a spoilt brat not getting what you want.

If you have a preferential reason why you are in situ then surely this will apply to Sgt as well as Cpl

Are you longest in post ? If not then how can they justify posting you as a Cpl, I would think it's an idle threat and they are ****ed with you not accepting what they have offered.

To me you are very lucky you haven't got a really family wrecking posting, the first whatever number on the PSL ended up gong to 90SU what a reward for their efforts. Fancy going to Eastern Europe or Middle East for 6 months at a time, thought not.

Promotion to Sgt is damn hard to get (taken me 20) and the initial posting rarely works in your favour, they have dangled the carrot and if you choose not to take it there are a few hundred hungry people who will unfortunately.

I obviously don't know your circumstances, but to be brutally honest unless you have a rock solid reason why getting posted to ??? will ruin yours and your families life then they might just think you are being a spoilt brat not getting what you want.

If you have a preferential reason why you are in situ then surely this will apply to Sgt as well as Cpl

For me it is a family wrecking posting - I'll be away Sunday to Friday as they work a set 8-5 shift and not the flexible working that a section say PJHQ work (start late on a monday/finish early on a friday as long as you make up the hours midweek). I have a daughter starting her GCSE's plus other financial commitments mean that my family can't/won't follow me.

As for longest in post - I have been at Waddo for some time, but I am aware of other Cpl's who have been in the county a lot longer than me, they've moved between stations and sections.

As for its taken you 20 years - I'm slightly longer than you (the offered promotion date is a day before my enlistment date, 22 years this year). I have the added issue that I haven't been offered LOS 30 and probably won't due to my Med Cat - I've been offered an extra 12 months on top of the 2 years I've just signed as a Cpl. So if I did accept it then it'll pretty much mean that I'll be stuck down there till the end, I have previous experience of asking for a move in my last 2 years, even as a LTOD, and got pretty much shot down with the phrase "the gaining unit won't get a full tour out of you - so no".

As for going to the Middle East/Europe - I've never turned down any form of OOA, I would say that when it comes to OOA's you would struggle to find anyone in the trade that has done more than me, and certainly involved in current Ops. Jokingly I'd probably see more of the family if I did deploy on an OOA that being posted to Northwood. The Sqn I'm currently on has identified the need for a 2nd Sgt, paperwork submitted and approved by FHQ at the end of Jun 16. I have all the qualifications and Operational experience to fill it, the Sqn want me in it, Desk has turned around and said its Northwood or Nothing. I have chosen the latter. The Desk are making out that I'm the only person, either from the current pool of Sgt's or those of this years PSL who can fill this job.

It's purely because of this that I'm being threatened with a posting.

As for longest in post - I have been at Waddo for some time, but I am aware of other Cpl's who have been in the county a lot longer than me, they've moved between stations and sections.

FWIW, The others that have been in the county for longer have actively and effectively managed their career. I do not know your background, but from the outside looking in, it appears that you have left it too late and now have to suffer the consequences for years of comfort and inaction.

I empathise with your position, but sometimes a period of reflection may broaden a persons perspective of events and situations.

Good luck for the future, wherever it may be.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I know what you are saying, but i do not think it applies here. If he is so high off the board then the desk officer has posts they need filling NOW - hence little to no movement on their request for a location.

I had this myself, the carrot was promotion now, however, taken with a crap location, yet the further down the promotion list you get, the more that was on offer and deals could be made.

It's a double edged sword, as you would think that coming so high, you would have the full spectrum of locations to choose from - not so.

FWIW, The others that have been in the county for longer have actively and effectively managed their career. I do not know your background, but from the outside looking in, it appears that you have left it too late and now have to suffer the consequences for years of comfort and inaction.

I empathise with your position, but sometimes a period of reflection may broaden a persons perspective of events and situations.

Do you feel better now and suitably superior to this person you know nothing about?

When it comes to promotions there is no 'management' of the move - well not unless you play golf and sell your soul to the chain of command (perhaps this is you?)

"a period of reflection may broaden a persons perspective of events and situations." - What the actual **** is that supposed to mean anyway and how is it relevant to this unfortunate individuals situation? Im considering vomiting after reading it its so full of ****.

When I was promoted to Sgt, they posted me to a location I did not want to go- I chose to accept because it was doable for the family and I. This is not the case for everyone and certainly each person is entitled to make their own considered choices - preferably without some knowitall smug git trying to give them some pointless 'career advice' - are you a failed officer or something?

Has someone else been given this post?

Does anyone know what number there at?

Im waiting for a the same treatment from the board

Not sure if they have offered this to someone else - I'm guess no as the Desk has given me another week to "consider" the offer.

Spoke to a mate of mine (number 24) - she's been offered 5 Sqn on Mighty 90