• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Corona virus

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Even the government agree with what the footballers are saying.

"They argue that the clubs' proposed 30% cut in wages would be counter-productive and detrimental to the NHS because of the loss in tax revenue it would result in. Privately, some Government officials accept the validity of this argument"
None that would go on record, even MWD is a government official.

If the ground staff are having 80% of their normal wages, up to £2500 per month, paid by us the tax payers, is it right that footballers should receive their full salaries, I’m pretty sure that privately a larger number of Government Officials accept this argument.

If they were playing football and brining in revenue, no problem, but they’re not are they.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Well yesterday as I drove back through Narborough and then the lower bit of Marham on my return from Sainsbury's (topping up what was missing from our own online shop and fetching bits for a family self isolating) I remarked at just how many were out and about.

Any normal day driving through and you don't see a peep but yesterday there was a veritable shitload of folk walking about (some onto the roads to avoid others), runners and bikers in excess of 20 individual family units. For what it's worth, I only walk the dog once a day when it's dark as nobody else is around then.

Today I found out that my 79yr old mother, admitted to hospital last Friday night after collapsing with a fever and is in a critical care unit has tested positive for Covid-19. It's more than likely that my 74yr old father will also have been exposed. The only folk they had coming to visit were Care Workers to help my mother out of bed and to clean her, along with fetching in shopping so they have all been informed.

It's early days yet but I am no fool, she may be one of the most stubborn ladies I know having survived Cancer twice, Stage 2 COPD and 2 recent bouts of Pneumonia but this virus is aggressive.

For fucks sake people, stay at home.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
None that would go on record, even MWD is a government official.

If the ground staff are having 80% of their normal wages, up to £2500 per month, paid by us the tax payers, is it right that footballers should receive their full salaries, I’m pretty sure that privately a larger number of Government Officials accept this argument.

If they were playing football and brining in revenue, no problem, but they’re not are they.
Ok Busby you are the he man. Quick guess for us laymen. How much tax would the govt lose from a footballer on 50k a week and if he dropped to 35k per week?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Ok Busby you are the he man. Quick guess for us laymen. How much tax would the govt lose from a footballer on 50k a week and if he dropped to 35k per week?
I think you’re missing the point, I’d guess that these players are set up to be paid in a very tax efficient manner to ensure that their earnings today last them long into retirement, I’d expect that the vast majority of their earnings go into a Company wrapper from which they draw down an income to keep the lifestyle going at a fair trot. There’s probably a bit of offshoring going on too, especially for image rights, but then again I’m not a tax expert.

Anyway my point is the football clubs have offloaded their responsibilities for their non playing workforce on to the tax payer whilst being able to pay millions a week to the players, who aren’t playing.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think you’re missing the point, I’d guess that these players are set up to be paid in a very tax efficient manner to ensure that their earnings today last them long into retirement, I’d expect that the vast majority of their earnings go into a Company wrapper from which they draw down an income to keep the lifestyle going at a fair trot. There’s probably a bit of offshoring going on too, especially for image rights, but then again I’m not a tax expert.

Anyway my point is the football clubs have offloaded their responsibilities for their non playing workforce on to the tax payer whilst being able to pay millions a week to the players, who aren’t playing.
https://ifamagazine.com/article/footballers-and-tax-schemes/

Fair play, but maybe it's a thing of the past according to this article.

As for the point about furloughing players, only five clubs have done this. Still five too many mind you.

People are saying give their wages to charity but which ones.

Last edited:

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Things like ...
End of life care - Marie Curie
Cancer care - MacMillan
Foodbanks
Salvation Army

Anything except the NHS, any money going to them from outside the NHS budget will give governments the excuse to cut NHS expenditure.
I'm playing devils advocate here, but I still think they should be paying tax. While we are at let's pass the hat around for anybody sitting around at home on full pay twiddling their thumbs.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I'm playing devils advocate here, but I still think they should be paying tax. While we are at let's pass the hat around for anybody sitting around at home on full pay twiddling their thumbs.
That is why I said net wages.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Forget footballers; there's one group in our society that are going to be hit really hard by the 2 meter social distancing rule - pickpockets.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I would yes, just like the rest of the nation does.
The PFA says the proposal would be "detrimental to our NHS" as it would equate to more than £500m in wage reductions over 12 months, and a loss in tax contributions of more than £200m to the UK government.

I don't see you calling for Tim Marti or Richard Branson to donate to the NHS.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The PFA says the proposal would be "detrimental to our NHS" as it would equate to more than £500m in wage reductions over 12 months, and a loss in tax contributions of more than £200m to the UK government.

I don't see you calling for Tim Marti or Richard Branson to donate to the NHS.

Do you have relatives who are premier league footballers, employing the “whataboutwhoery” principle doesn’t give the footballers an excuse.

I would also expect senior leaders in any business too be pretty busy at the moment trying to ensure that their businesses are ready and able to resume normal operations once this blows over, to ensure that normal people can start work and the economy gets going again.

Footballers on the other hand appear to be focusing on having private, ahem, parties to keep their spirits up.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Do you have relatives who are premier league footballers, employing the “whataboutwhoery” principle doesn’t give the footballers an excuse.

I would also expect senior leaders in any business too be pretty busy at the moment trying to ensure that their businesses are ready and able to resume normal operations once this blows over, to ensure that normal people can start work and the economy gets going again.

Footballers on the other hand appear to be focusing on having private, ahem, parties to keep their spirits up.
So what gives Hancock the right to pick on one section of society. Hancock opens his mouth and then the press follow and it's open season. Footballers donate millions to charities. I don't see any mention on here about Rees mogg and his investment company making millions on the back of the coronavirus. Have Branson Dyson green Martin donated to charity. Branson and Martin were asking for government handouts.

FWIW I think Liverpool have scored an own goal by furloughing non playing staff. I hope they do a U-turn.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Hancock was asked a question by the press and he gave his opinion, he didn’t raise the issue, it was already being discussed.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes they are because the usual suspects in the media have made it their new scapegoat. Forget the owners of the mail and telegraph and the scum and the times having billions in the bank.