• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Blue' Combats! Is this true??

'Blue' Combats! Is this true??

• Total voters

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well the point of it is that it's there to get oiled and greased up just like denims, if it gets excessively soiled it gets exchanged. What next are we gonna have cellophane left on the denims incase they get soiled too.

They have to wear this PCS to the mess/psf/wherever so it can't get minging like a set of denims. It isn't dirty clothing like denims, it's to be worn everywhere.

Silly question (maybe),

Has anybody worked with the Yanks or the Aussies (light blue ones that is)? They both have 'combats' as normal working dress, what do their techies do?

edit to add: apart from fix planes, before some smartarse gets here...

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I hang my blues up and put my overalls on over joggies and a t shirt. If I happen to be in greens I tend to keep them on though. Would this not be a more practical idea for this stuff?

IeuanMawr

LAC
I'm hoping it comes in sooner rather than later and if there is a possibility of requesting to trial it, I'd be doing just that on my return from OOA.

I've nearly injured myself on 3 occasions wearing denims trying to navigate building crawlspaces in restrictive denims. Maybe i'm a biff or maybe it's just my body shape (not a fat techy!) but I've just never got on with denims and they don't suit my working environment; the top of a ladder on a building on an exposed sea cliff face with a drill! F-cking freezing and we're not scaled for any other warm kit. We in my section are forever scuffing our blues in a purposely dirty working environment.

Harder wearing non-restrictive blue kit is all I'm asking; am I right in thinking it's just blue PCS, cheap as can be because they don't have to pay licence fees for the MTP pattern. That's what the CASWO thought the other day. I've seen the pictures and it looks so.

Personally I hate the cheap as f-ck light blue shirts we get currently and stick to the dark.

I think I had a point to start with... I want a new uniform.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
The 'blue combats' as far as I'm aware are to replace coveralls AND be an alternative for No2 dress. The idea being, it will be a 'working dress' that can be worn from leaving your accom, through the day, until you return to your accom, negating the need to change every time you have 'station admin' to do.

All well and good, but you'll still have to change after you've been on the line, of working on aircraft in order to go to the feeder/ mess/ PSF/ Med Ctr as no-one will want oily techies kicking around in their nice clean sections.

IMHO, the money would be better off invested in decent foul weather kit for those of us that do work outside in inclement weather on a regular basis.

As an aside, I wonder if the 'bright spark' who thought this up has been promoted out of this farcical trial yet? And what his(or her) successor thinks of it...

Blue combats Trade specific

Blue combats Trade specific

Just spent two weeks at brize and seen the blue combats for myself, they look bloody scruffy, however, I can see their merits if your in a manual or dirty job; but i cant see any reason why they should be issued to everyone can you imagine someone with a clean or desk job wearing it it would look ****e.

I think the current no 2's are smart and appropriate to the the majority of trades, It wasn't designed for station use in mind. I hope it's not meant for Air force wide use:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Craig855s

Sergeant
Just spent two weeks at brize and seen the blue combats for myself, they look bloody scruffy, however, I can see their merits if your in a manual or dirty job; but i cant see any reason why they should be issued to everyone can you imagine someone with a clean or desk job wearing it it would look ****e.

I think the current no 2's are smart and appropriate to the the majority of trades, It wasn't designed for station use in mind. I hope it's not meant for Air force wide use:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Strangely the people who wear them on my section are all in the training cell/QCIT office. I have to say Id prefer to wear combats over number 2s, CS95s that is, I don't like the cut of PCS or the colour of the blue stuff, whats wrong with RAF tac flashes and words on the shirt?

I've nearly injured myself on 3 occasions wearing denims trying to navigate building crawlspaces in restrictive denims.

What? You're not wearing them tied at the waist with a fleece / stolen para smock / buffalo on top????

Standards have slipped..... Er I mean improved since I left!!

Heard a rumour from our SWO in a departure interview last week that the clothing bods at HQ Air are considering giving us all blue DPM uniforms to wear as working dress in an attempt to reduce uniform costs!

Anybody else heard this / got anymore gen or is the SWO spinning my yarn?? If it's true we're all going to end up looking like some African rebel army!!!

P o D

:pDT_Xtremez_42:[/Q
Its already in! Benson and a number of other units are trialling kit the raf has already bought!! Plain blue mtp pattern thats it! The navy apparently turned it down!

T

Tubby

Heard a rumour from our SWO in a departure interview last week that the clothing bods at HQ Air are considering giving us all blue DPM uniforms to wear as working dress in an attempt to reduce uniform costs!

Anybody else heard this / got anymore gen or is the SWO spinning my yarn?? If it's true we're all going to end up looking like some African rebel army!!!

P o D

:pDT_Xtremez_42:[/Q
Its already in! Benson and a number of other units are trialling kit the raf has already bought!! Plain blue mtp pattern thats it! The navy apparently turned it down!

Thread grave digger lol, check the date before you point and laugh haha