• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Blue' Combats! Is this true??

'Blue' Combats! Is this true??

• Total voters

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hmm, maybe I worked with the Navy bummers for too long, but that 'uniform' has a distinct 'rig' look to it.

Before you know it, those trialling said uniform will be calling each other 'shippers', eating 'scran' in the 'galley' and bumming each other to death in the 'heads'.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You should also bear in mind that out here in the cold hard working world, it is well known that if one is still wearing the company logo on one's shirt over the age of 40, it's pretty much all over.

The design of PCS, regardless of colour is/was designed to work with Body Armour, hence the removal/obscuring of buttons and the inclusion of sleeve pockets etc etc. What TL is asking, is why would you use the same design for work in the UK (to replace blues.... we think) when its compatability with BA is not an issue. I'm currently on standby guard and having wear the MTP PCS this week to cut about the Stn undertaking my usual tasks and this has highlighted just how uncomfortable and I will even go as far as to say inpractical the PCS is. However, sandyside with Osprey Body Armour it was great and much better than the CS95 design.

Exactly. Thanks.

Note to self: be more concise and to the point/stop being a wordy tw4t

briggfairy

Sergeant
I know this may be stating the bleeding obvious but why don't we wear pcs for warlike semi soldiery things either in this country or others and when we're doing our normal day to day jobs wear no2's if you might get dirty wear coveralls and get changed for moving around station, if your cold wear a fleece or a jacket if it rains wear a gortex.

it seems to have worked on nearly every flying sqn i've ever seen and it might save a bit save a bit of cash as well!

oh and those people who wander round camp in greens all day and sit in offices in their greens well they can just wear no2 and realise that they are in the RAF and not the bloody army, if they don't realise maybe someone who gets paid big bucks could remind them of their place in the food chain

miniboo

SAC
I work at a unit that wears pcs all the time.

Now in some areas it is required, however on the whole blues is more than enough, the synic in me says that because we have so many officers at this unit they want to wear uniform that doesn't cost them any money ......

Last edited:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
We are currently wearing PCS CU (the MTP type) but only because my unit's in its final throws of Mission Specific Training prior to our deployment out to the sandpit. Back to blues for me when we get back next Summer.

Off topic.

Being a joint unit we have the wonderful situation where each of the Services have directed that it be worn differently:

RN/RM - sleeves rolled up/jacket tucked in (up and in)

Army - down and out

RAF - down and in

That said, it would appear that a fair few just do their own thing anyway with some RN and RAF wearing down and out and some Army retaining the CS95 MTP shirt/jacket worn up and in.

In a way it's comforting that personnel from the other 2 Services frequently ignore their own dress regs the same way that we do.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Miniboo

Is there a requirement to be camouflaged at these remote locations?

If not, then the new PCS-in-blue thingamy looks like it's heading your way ;)

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
If it were important I would despair!

As far as I have read, their air-ships in the Air Force Board have made their intent crystal clear. We are to wear blue uniform whenever possible. How hard is it for those in the chain of command (corporal up to ?) to follow 'Commanders' Intent'?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I wonder if the 2-star approvals to routinely wear No 3 SD instead of No 2 SD will be reviewed when/if these PCS-in-blue ensembles are on general issue.

Max

Sergeant
They spent money on TV adverts and showed the usual Blue uniform to emphasise that we were the RAF wo that's what everyone should wear unless deployed and that should include PTI's Firemen and all other trades when outside their workplace It's called uniform for a reason but F**k me you'd never know it.

With that many different states of dress at the moment you can almost get away with any outfit.

Or they could save their pennies and I'll travel to work in civvies get into my denims and not visit the shiney parts of camp.

clarklyttle

LAC
Subscriber
They are being trailed at a certain Heli base in Oxfordshire. The guys that are wearing them look like rejects from a swat team. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Just a thought on a lazy Sunday morning. With this push towards a predominately 'blue' Royal Air Force, does anyone know if anyone is considering reintroducing blue flying suits so we can have the aircrew-über-gods in a blue No14 Dress when not deployed on ops or exercise? (Or is this predominately blue thingy just for us 'guins'?)