• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best / Worst dets, and why?

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
Worst - PSAB (Al Kharj) Stared great but changed halfway through due to a couple of right c**k jockeys getting detached in to replace two good guys. Made life utterly ****e for the SAC's.

Best - My last det to MPA. Brilliant bunch of people and would have happily stayed there an extra two months as the crew were that good. And avoided taking a starring role in MPA Nights as well!

C

CC

Worst det - Deci in the 90s. Air Italia lost by bag, was in borrowed basketball shorts and top for 3 days....fcukin ridiculous. Best Det, fcuk me far too many to list. The best being Vegas in hotel, Madrid in hotel, Trenton (Canada) in hotel, at least 6 times to Virginia in hotels. Hell, even a trip to Romania and my two MPA tours were ok (millenium tour). Herrick was slightly ruined by the fcukin Barmy Army being their usual ignorant cnuts. 2 weeks in West Freugh was quite a hoot. However, the winner has to be Dubai. I was the senior OR to deploy when we stood up Minhad in Dec 08. Xmas day on Jumeriah beach takes some beating!!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Best
1985 Ghedi Italian Air Force Base for a week.

Not much flying and even less work.

Wine with the meals on base. SENGO limited us to one glass of wine with our lunch time meal so we all took pint glasses.

Living in hotels on the edge of Lake Garda. One of the chiefs decided to have snails for his meal one night. We counted them down and counted them back up.

Worst
1985 Ghedi Italian Air Force Base for a week.

The Liverpool and Juventus fans decided to have a brawl in the Heysel Stadium, it was a frightening atmosphere in the local town that night and for the next couple of days.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Best det: Shiney 2's det to Stavanger in Norway 1998....probably the best birthday I have ever had:pDT_Xtremez_07:...

Worst det: Forward deployed to Basra in 2004, when the majority of the Bat Wing Angel of Death were based in hotels somewhere else in the Gulf...then finding that the reason you had been deployed had been cancelled, and then having your kit go U/S...

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Best? Every Det I was involved with the Jag force, but the top top one has to be Maple Flag '93, a week off before the exercise started, a week in which 3 of us took a 3 seater wagon from Cold lake, down through the Rockies to Calgary and back, Cheers Killy and Wayne! I was 18 and loved it.

Worst? Not got one!

morse1001

Sergeant
The worst det was the 90 days spent on Ascension Island, the Army Lt in charge decided, that I, a trained Radio Op with expereince of flight Watch, was to work in the Comcen amongst Tape Apes and a Army Data telegraphist with no expereince of flight Watch was to work at the Airhead Radio. result, two bad demoralised personnel!

I was so happy to leave that i could have kissed the pilot! instead i kissed the stewardess!

fatalbert

SAC
For me, the worst det was the last UK CENTO deployment: 1978, Kinloss Nimrods to the former RAF Station Drigh Road, then Shara e Afaisal air base, Karachi, Pakistan. What a sh*t tip of a place.
The best was 17 Sqn Tonkas to Nellis (Red Flag) in 1988.

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Best: A toss up between Anchorage and Red Flag.

Worst: Op Veritas, Thumrait. Tagged on to the end of Saif Sareea, utter sh*t and without a real job. Complete waste of time and uncomfortable.

Saying that, KAIA is turning out to be pretty pump!

Most memorable: Basra '08 on C-RAM, had the best and the worst of times. Made some good friends for life.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Worst: Al Kharj, in tents after the bomb went off in the 'towers' Dhahran.

Best: There is a list - Vegas 96: TLP Moron 96: Fairbanks 94: Malaysia 97 (the trail out was even better):
All the dets on the various OEU's between 2001 to 2007. eg Pt Magoo: CL etc.
Whilst the locations were exotic the reason why they were so good was the blokes I served with....the pleasure was all mine

graham_s

LAC
Tough one,
Best, probably either Al Kharj (just as Telic started), Maple Flag, or a drunken **** up around Europe I went on in a Puma.

Worst? Norway, in November, with no rates.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Best - all of them!

There is no such thing as a bad det, that what we joined up for FFS!

I cant believe that I am reading that folk have been nowhere, just confirms to me the two tier air force.

Good Guys:
Those who go away all the time, never get a day off for college cause they are on det and get divorced due to time away but still suck it up and get on with it.

Wank:
Those timid souls who never do anything in thier lives and do not know the feeling of pride seeing thier kite take off at sunrise having just worked on it for 18 hours straight knowing it was thier skill and experise that got that jet up again to go and give some to the enemy.

I miss them days....sniff

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Hmmm, Obviously someone who has never been with a Royal Signals formed unit detachment.

You are correct mucka, they dont fly aircraft or fix them so there would be no reason for me to seeing as I spent 95% of my RAF career on aircraft Sqn's, although I have worked with signallers who worked from our a/c and they were alright.