• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best / Worst dets, and why?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I've tried. I still can't reach though, no matter how many back stretching exersises I do

With you i can quite believe it !! However i'm sure you've always got an lac or menial sac around for you to abuse.

Crack on..............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Rikster

Sergeant
I'm a relative smally, and despite the reputation of the RAF I've never been in a hotel the the mob has paid for!!

My best det - Fairford, Op Bolthole, Christmas and New Year 2006-7. Almost a hotel (The Falcons' Nest American transit block - awesome!). Doing a dorrslammers job (I'm a duvet tech), 12 hr shifts, maybe 2 hours of work a day. Driving between FFD and BZN and back, ensuring passengers and thier baggage were as frustrated and late as possible (or it seemed that way). Driving my truck in formation gave me convoy c0ck :)

Worst - Fairford (spookily.) DOT 2006. Ask anyone that was there! What a waste of time and money. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

If your best det was Fairford for Bolthole, you really should get out more!
I've been out for 7 years now and I know memory fades and you only recall the "best" bits...........but Faiford..........come on even Deci in January would be better!!
Cheers, Rikster

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
Best Dets have got to be Either "Cope Thunder" 1997 in Alaska for 3 weeks, Fnucking brill or 1st time i went to Vegas for "Red Flag",

Worse Det is anywhere in tents, Us Techies: "We check in, Not dig in" and "where's my Bloody Samsonite suitcase gone????"

:pDT_Xtremez_15:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
My worse det ever was Exercise Asciet in Savannah, Georgia. I had to put up with an UNHEATED swimming pool and only $70 a day in rates. Disgusting.

mightyhunter

Sergeant
Easy:

HOMESTEAD 98 (R*$ p**"h), Florida . . . literally mental... loved every minute.

Didn't do a bad Det thankfully... probably the flight down to MPA from a sunny ASI made it crap, but still had a laff.

Regardless of where you go . . It you have a good crew, You have a good time..
aye MSoD. did that one the year after. good time. but the best had to be fincastle 2003.:pDT_Xtremez_30: four weeks round-the-world with the excercise taking place in Oz. great!!

bad one?.... mmmm... must this one.:pDT_Xtremez_38:
although it's a posting, i'm classing it a det from the 'real' RAF. THIS IS PURE PUMP!!

I

Irritant

Best det is a toss up between 5 weeks at Elmendorf USAFB, Anchorage, Alaska in summer or having to go to Gran Canaria for just under a week to do a site survey on the airport. Day one, went to the Spanish Air Base on the other side of the airport. Asked the questions "can our jet operate here, got fuel, got food, got LOX, cool see ya". Two hours later and I was back in the 5 star hotel on the seafront.

Worse det was Valley in the early 80`s with the only true fast jet the RAF ever had WIWOL. Got stuck in the tyre bay with a knackered old geezer who didnt like the smell of the air from deflating tyres. MUPPET!

hubfail

LAC
Best Det - 2 week det at Akrotiri turns into 3 - got booted off the trooper so they could get a stretcher case on - gained an extra week to chisel off in Cyprus!

Worst Det - Falklands in winter with no spirits (bloody RIC!)

Rikster

Sergeant
Best Det- S.America for FIDAE (thats South Americas version of farnborough or Paris Airshows) In santiago, throw in a goodwill visit to Buenos Aires (first RAF visit since the Falklands war) a few extra days in Panama and Bermuda(again!!!), man, its tough at the bottom.

worst- going to fnuckin Deci every year for 5 years in bloody Jan/Feb. It was even my last det on 3(F) !!
FS B Shift: "Fancy a swan song?"
Me: "oh yeah cheers Flight that would be nice."
FS B Shift: "good I'll put you down for Deci again"

:pDT_Xtremez_03: you know who you are!!

cheers, Rikster

W

wgaf

Best- Could be any of the many stateside dets I did while on the oeu.
Worst- Honestly can't think of a bad one, must be one in the deep dark recesses of my mind just can't think of one.

Not really a proper det, but spent the whole of OP Fiasco in wales in the Newport Hilton, and got the keys when we wernt there up till Xmas.

M

monobrow

Best Det. Vegas with a cheeky week and a bit in Yuma! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fun times! Goose with a trail to DM ranks high though, Arizona was awesome aswell, only after spotting a fuel leak though that meant we had to hop to Toronto, Minneapolis, Denver before ending up in AZ.

Best memories. Living in tents at St. Mawgan on Maxeval. It was a crap setup, but always look back on it with a smile on my face!

Worst det. Got sent to valley as a self sup for a 4 ship landaway because it was snowing at Marham. Many hours in a wagon, AF some jets, sup a few in a baron NAAFI, followed by single man see offs (about 2 years before they were official, but we didn't have enough blokes!) then many more hours in a wagon. Pointless waste of 2 days of my life.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Best Det: I was going to say Offutt Air Force Base, , USA but as it was a 2 year posting (it was hell but somebody had to do it) I suppose it's not technically a Det. Therefore I will say my swansong Det in 1996 which was Operation Cope thunder for 6 weeks at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska.

Worst Det. Vulcan exercise deployment in 1971 to Coningsby where I spent 3 soaking wet days on the OPR at the end of the runway. We were either guarding the Tin Triangles which were on 15 minute readiness or living in a broken down caravan, waiting for the hooter to go to scramble the Bombers with their pretend buckets of sunshine (well at least we were told they were pretend ones – however there was an awful lot of armed coppers around at the time).