• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best / Worst dets, and why?

F

Fablon biff chit

I'm a relative smally, and despite the reputation of the RAF I've never been in a hotel the the mob has paid for!!

My best det - Fairford, Op Bolthole, Christmas and New Year 2006-7. Almost a hotel (The Falcons' Nest American transit block - awesome!). Doing a dorrslammers job (I'm a duvet tech), 12 hr shifts, maybe 2 hours of work a day. Driving between FFD and BZN and back, ensuring passengers and thier baggage were as frustrated and late as possible (or it seemed that way). Driving my truck in formation gave me convoy c0ck :)

Worst - Fairford (spookily.) DOT 2006. Ask anyone that was there! What a waste of time and money. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I'm a relative smally, and despite the reputation of the RAF I've never been in a hotel the the mob has paid for!!

On of my best : A month in the 5* Gulf Hotel in Bahrain with lots of rates ! The work was "guarding" a tent when needed (worked out to about 3 days in 7 !!) and getting the jingly to deliver food 3 times a night.....

One of the Worst : Not the det itself (AAS for 4 months) but the faf i had when comming back on R&R...got to brize to find out MT from waddo not expecting me (they were there to pick some zobs up in a small car which was now full).
Phoned MT at waddo they had no spare drivers or anyone with enough hours ! (they said they could be there in 16 hours !!!)
Had to get a mate from waddo to go to MT, get a car and drive down and pick me up......not a happy bunny

Crack on............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

J

JetLaverick

best

best

Best det toss up between Vegas and Yuma, must be Yuma closer to mexico.

Worst can't say valley cos it what you make of it so must be St Athens on IN cordon technique course week of boredom!

sparks will fly

Corporal
Best for me was 6 weeks in Jacksonvile Florida on rates (god I miss them) staying in the Hilton sunbathing next to Demi Moore. The hotel was used to to book extras for the film GI Jane. How funny it was as I was about to drive to work that I saw the day shift of armourers standing in line it was so funny, god knows what the film crews thought.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
you are all ba5tards. 7 years in never feckin been anywhere. not happy. send me to a bloody sqn i want out of engine bay! Arrrrggh! although i spent 2 months at Marham VAS whoop dee feckin doo!

here endeth the rant

Major Geek

Sergeant
Best - Cant decide between Vegas, Florida, or Copenhagen

Worst - Cant decide between Vegas, Florida, or Copenhagen

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Best - 3 weeks in Malaysia, 5 star hotel on a liason visit.

Worst - 2 weeks in Stornoway, on exercise in a tent.

Both thanks to TCW.

Last edited:

gray

Sergeant

My best det - Fairford, Op Bolthole, Christmas and New Year 2006-7. Almost a hotel (The Falcons' Nest American transit block - awesome!). Doing a dorrslammers job (I'm a duvet tech), 12 hr shifts, maybe 2 hours of work a day. Driving between FFD and BZN and back, ensuring passengers and thier baggage were as frustrated and late as possible (or it seemed that way). Driving my truck in formation gave me convoy c0ck :)

Worst - Fairford (spookily.) DOT 2006. Ask anyone that was there! What a waste of time and money. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Guess my best det was the Hong Kong handover in1997 helping out the Navy on their Satcom System. Bloody hard work, but they played hard too !

Gray

M

MASTER DISCIPLE OF SPICE

Easy:

HOMESTEAD 98 (R*$ p**"h), Florida . . . literally mental... loved every minute.

Didn't do a bad Det thankfully... probably the flight down to MPA from a sunny ASI made it crap, but still had a laff.

Regardless of where you go . . It you have a good crew, You have a good time..

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Best...Malaysia.
Worst...Valley, end of.
Oddest... Chile or should I say getting there and back.
Other ace ones...Corsica, Oerland, Albercete, Vegas, Acension, Germany, Cyprus blah blah blah:pDT_Xtremez_28:

stacker1195

Sergeant
Best - Toss up between 5 weeks in Kenya with TSW in 2003 and 4 months in Split in1999.
Worst - TSW Battlecamp in 2003. Due to hierarchy incompetence some of us ,including myself, ended up going 3 days without sleep. When we were finally able to get our heads down, we had to do it in full NBC.

"Sir, put that pillow tank in that Bund and it will roll"
"No it wont Sgt, now put it in there"

"Right Lads, we're going to have to stop the Exercise, the pillow tanks rolled"

budgie

The new Dirk Diggler
Worst- Green Blade 94, 1 week, tents, west scotland, november, lots of rain!

Best- Vass at secret Desert airbase a few years back

C

Chuff Chart

Best operational det, Incirlik. Great times.
Best PWR, Falklands.
Best hotel det, Radom, Poland. What a place. Or Finland.

Statto

LAC
Worst is easy, though maybe not strictly a det. HGV course at St Athan. After being in a bit by then going back to being a trainee didnt go down well - tho' getting heavy licence as a stattie wasnt bad going.

Best - toss up between Oceana (Purple Star 96), or Davis-Montham (05). Both staying in that 'crappy' American transit accomodation. If only our transit blocks had the same facilities.

Somewhere in between would be doing 'Hogfreeze' in 89 up near Thurso. Lived up to it's name - was Baltic for 2 weeks, but had a laugh being assigned to one of the Rapier fire units.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Best - Living in a tent and dodging rockets in Afghanistan.

Worst - Hamburg, staying in a 5* hotel for 6 weeks.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Best: Most of them but Singapore, Hawaii and Oz spring to a very hazy mind...I'll even endorse Gib if you're there with decent party people...

Worst: The Gulf (Kuwait, Al D, Seeb)...Utter waste of my time and the publics money keeping me there just to show the Yanks we are in their gang...

M

MACC LAD

best - bahrain {enough air stewardeses to stuff a mattress with}
corsia {enough shell fish to stuff a mattress with and wacky races from
bastia to base was fun}

worst - kabul when first opened absolute sh"t hole, not enough food and eating rat packs for 3 weeks wasnt fun showers crap as well, there wasnt any !

rct at st.mawgan a few years back was ar£e as well