• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ALFENS.........It lives!

D

Deleted member 777

As ALFENS has now been given a new lease of life due to the dismal failure of MFMIS, do you think that this may be a good time to get rid of those god awful programmable printers? How much swearing do you hear on a daily basis due to mis-feeds, paper jams and the local light refusing to turn off? Now is the time to replace these dinosaur printers and get something better. Even a £40 Tesco value PC printer would do a better job, be more reliable and wouldn't have to go through the nausea of calling out a service engineer to fix paper feeder problems. The system works, lets have a printer system that does as well eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmmmm

SAC
I'm reliably informed that M-ALFENS merely has a short stay of execution. New printers will not be high on the agenda.

D

Deleted member 777

I was sort of hoping you may be lurking, as a chap with his ear to the ground. So what are we to expect? MFMIS-II (this version actually does what it says on the tin), a brand new system that will be years in the making, costing 5 times the original estimate, be made by HMG favourite IT supplier and never actually produce the goods at the end or are we going to buy into a civilian system that actually works and has been proven?

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
There's nothing wrong with Alfens. I think it's grrrrrrrrrrrreatt!!
Personally when they do decide to put it into retirement I want to be at the front of the queue to get my hands on one of those top quality printers.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Hmmmm

SAC
I was sort of hoping you may be lurking, as a chap with his ear to the ground. So what are we to expect? MFMIS-II (this version actually does what it says on the tin), a brand new system that will be years in the making, costing 5 times the original estimate, be made by HMG favourite IT supplier and never actually produce the goods at the end or are we going to buy into a civilian system that actually works and has been proven?

If I was procuring such a system, I would check-out what the licensed UK ATM service provider used.

Chaka

Sergeant
Over here in Civvieland we use Copperchase for FPLs,NOTAMS etc. Generally works good for our military flying too and could be a good system (with a few tweaks) to adapt for full blown Mil use.

It works too!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I've used Copperchase myself Chaka its good, but it is getting a bit dated..... IMaybe we should look towards Copperchase 'Mk2' like Prestwick did here

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Good stuff - but wait....... Are you suggesting a truly integrated ATM tool that would do everything that we actually wanted and needed it to do?

It'll never catch on. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Chaka

Sergeant
Good stuff - but wait....... Are you suggesting a truly integrated ATM tool that would do everything that we actually wanted and needed it to do?

It'll never catch on. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Oh good God no, since when have the RAF bought a piece of kit that works as it was supposed too?:pDT_Xtremez_35:

That defies all Air Force procurement logic.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

No doubt it will follow this usual route- Ask some people who don't use the kit,have no intention of ever using the kit and would be out of their depth in an Ops Wg car park puddle to design the system. Then spend 6 years fannying around going ohh,ahhhhh, what a great system we have,oh bugger it's out of date.

ALFENS to MFMIS in 8 years.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

If the RAF buy Copperchase I will stick a live wasp up my arse sideways!:0

Chaka

Sergeant
Might have done. :pDT_Xtremez_06: Certainly far better than c'chase and it actually works. I wonder if Chakka is selling tickets for the big arse stuffing event.

Hmmm, if you 'might have' heard of EAMS how do you know it's better than Copperchase?:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Last edited:

Hmmmm

SAC
oooh, there's a letter just appeared in the internal email system. Talks about EAMS. How spooky is that?

Hmmmm

SAC
Likewise my friend, did we do it anal?:pDT_Xtremez_34: Off Topic

Hohum, any chance of getting back on topic and telling us about EAMS as you appear to be in the know?

Not unless you had a habit of leaving the lower decks.

No. Commercial in blah. However, I do think that it is a good bit of kit and if NATS have it, I'm pretty sure they will make it work.