• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

92 Sqdn Wildenrath early 80s

C

Chuffybum

As a previous poster said the Nav was a top bloke I knew A Iv at Leuchars and as you say He did indeed leave as a Flt Lt in 1988/9 IIRC.
By the way unlike the front seater (I never knew Him) He never tried to blame anyone else than themselves, a true Gent.

MK You are absolutely correct there. He was indeed a top bloke. As it happens it was his German wife that taught me to speak German when I attended classes at Wildenrath. I me him again at Leuchars a couple of years later and he was still a good guy then.

R

ROTORHEAD

17 "Wot no planes" qn

17 "Wot no planes" qn

Oh one more thing 8 1/2 Sqn ( 17 Sqn were light on jets, all u/s) and I am sure we delivered it to them for a wee shot, the the tossers get it shot down. By the way the day I arrived at Bruggen the jags collided one landed safely the other crash landed in the bomb dump. Rumour has it the FS bomb dumpies prize koi carp were squirted all over the burning jet. ALSO my old man being a plumber was drafted in to the board of enquiry.

8 1/2 Sqn were indeed a bit short at the time. One particular day, we had more of their Jags in our crash compound on the M.U. than they had 'S' on the line.

J

JetLaverick

Being ex-92, I also remember it well.

On top of that, I seem to recall that not long afterwards we went to Decimommannu on ACMI, only to find the same unfortunate Jag squadron there alongside us.

It wasn't me (or indeed anyone I know) who put the saucers of milk under the nosewheels of each Jag on the line one night, along with a sign saying "nice pussy cat!":pDT_Xtremez_28:

Cobras here, Cobras there, Cobras every - fcuking - where :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I remember, I fitted the laus n pylons to said Phantom , I also recall the said jet came to 19 when I transferred on promotion and we took it to Valley on MPC when lo and behold a jag sqn came to valley while said jet was loaded again with Winders lol, go fetch the pussy !!!

P

peterd

92 Sqn Valley

92 Sqn Valley

Do remember 92 sqn dets to RAF Valley....poor FlnMech's and other trades used to get ribbed in the NAFFI by 92 sqn guys....fact they worked on toy planes, as the Hawk suppose looked compared to the Phantom!! Most confrontations had an edge to them, dont recall any major punchups though!!

Mustang

Corporal
92 Sqdn Wildenrath early 80s

If I remember rightly the Jag pilot was Steve G. Knew him from 31 Sqn, good bloke. We, II AC, did the post crash recce and when I saw the pictures I thought something was wrong, there were 2 crash sites. Nobody was saying much at first, but the truth eventually came out. The AIM 9 did a good job, straight up the rear and blew the jet in 2 bits, hence 2 smoking holes in the ground. What was that weapon drill? Never point a gun at something you dont intend to kill or destroy. :pDT_Xtremez_09:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
If I remember rightly the Jag pilot was Steve G. Knew him from 31 Sqn, good bloke. We, II AC, did the post crash recce and when I saw the pictures I thought something was wrong, there were 2 crash sites. Nobody was saying much at first, but the truth eventually came out. The AIM 9 did a good job, straight up the rear and blew the jet in 2 bits, hence 2 smoking holes in the ground. What was that weapon drill? Never point a gun at something you dont intend to kill or destroy. :pDT_Xtremez_09:

It was Steve Griggs (Mod's this one is in the public domain - See Here) Griggs is also mentioned by name in a book that covers the history of the Bang Seat (Eject, Eject by Bryan Philpott, Publisher Ian Allen ISBN 0-7110-1804-9), which covers the incident in some detail, along with the second bang out that he did at the back end of 82.

Last edited:
I had only been at 2ATAF ADOC, Maastricht a few days when this happened. The first question posed by the upper class was "Any civilian casualties or property involved?" Soon learnt that this was a standard thing - stuff our guys, more important we didn't get the locals hurt!
Didn't the resultant Board spread the blame though? Groundcrews, the Fighter Controller (did he say "check weapons safe?"), the lot.

F

FlatpackDoom

Dear chaps and chapesses,

I was the line armourer that saw in the Tomb that killed the cat. Exercise, very, very busy..and no FLMs turn up, so I marshalled the aircraft into the HAS pan. It was about halfway through the turn when the starboard LAU came into my view - missing one sidewinder. My initial reaction (being an armerer) was one of fcuking delight that something had gone bang. I became suspicious when I notice the growbags weren't wearing immersion suits (SOP for flying over water to fire rockety bangsticks at Welsh drones).

About this time, Timan P I think it was, turns up with the Massey Ferguson for pushback. Task completed, we hooked on the crew ladder and up I prances to unhook the frontseat ballast from his arial bondage gear.

I gave him my biggest grin and said "How did she fly sir?". He wrenched off his bone dome, looked up at me, all pale and shakey before taking a deep breath and shouting "It flew EXACTLY as you fcukers are always advertising, that's the fcuking problem. Now get the fcuk off this aircraft, all of you, don't touch a fcuking thing I have a gut feeling it's going to be impounded ...someone's fcuked up".

At the time us groundhogs knew nothing about the Jaguar currently parked in a German field. We only found out why the growbags had a sh1tty on later in the squadron HARD where every single Cobra armourer who existed had been summoned. According to the chief (Mal H) who gave us the gen from the gay briefing lecturn, the growbags had immediately blamed the load team/armourers/photogs/Helmut The Cleaning Spy, and were probably on the phone to Gilbert Blades even as he spoke. There were a LOT of angry armourers in one room that day and it wasn't a pretty sight I can tell. The Soviets could have ended the Cold War that same afternoon with one carefully placed clusterfcuk. That's how good we were.

You all know how the story ended - vindication for the groundcrew and Severe Digs at CM for the aeronautical wizerds concerned.

Now I shall leave and bask in my G-list celebrity status.

N

Nick_Me

Wildenrath late 70's anyone remember ?

Wildenrath late 70's anyone remember ?

I'm not ex-raf but my dad was stationed in Wildenrath in the late 70's and it was his f-4 that crashed when engaging the harriers ( i think so anyway !) - Just looking for any info / stories about him - Just trying to fill in the gaps really. Flt Lt Chris Meade - He was a nav.

Also remember from my perspective (4 yr old - singing about 92 being the best squadron around, probably singing at kids who's dads were in 19 - "92 superstar" to music of Jesus Christ Superstar - can't remember the rest although bound to be suitably scathing.

I also dumped in our neighbours garden when in quarters (watched from the window the whole time apparently) sorry if that was yours !?

My dad flew with a couple of guys a lot in his final years, Sqd Ldr W******* and Flt Lt H******* , If they are still around and in contact with anyone I would like to contact them if possible.

Any stories, info or pictures would be greatly received.

Regards

Nick Meade

Stewie

SAC
I was MT at wilders in 80-84 and went to Deci with you guys as your sqn driver, I remember driving a 39 str through Cagliari and one of the lads opening the rear doors on the bus I was driving and mooning people, think he got deported back to Germany and I think his name was Swindells or something similar, just got in touch with one of your old boys earlier this after nearly 25 yrs, Tracy Swainston, think he was an armourer, happy days eh ? Also remember going out to the starfighter that was mentioned earlier, the other aircraft crashed off site, but the one that landed had a broken spine.

Last edited:

doc670

LAC
Starfighter collision

Starfighter collision

The 104 collision I remember was in '78/'79 when a visiting detachment four ship landed close together. No 3 landed short and No 4's nose slid underneath No 3's wing tiptank. This rode up the nose and took off the top of the cockpit, including half of the pilot's head. No 3 was spun round, the noseleg collapsed and it came to a stop opposite ASF/60 sqn pointing the wrong way down the runway. No 4 carried on up the runway with a dead jockey and ran off the side 3/4 way down with the engine still running. Both a/c spent some time in ASF being repaired. I don't know if No 3's spine was broken but it did look a bit bent. I can't remember if they were Dutch or Norwegian.
I had just parked my car at the 60 sqn end of ASF's hangar, and watched all four land. We didn't find out till later that the pilot had been killed.

Stewie

SAC
I think it was 82 when the incident I remember happened, iirc it was a two ship formation, the rear aircraft descended into the rear of the cockpit area of the lead aircraft, the pilot was apparently decapitated and the impact was such that the other had its rear spine broken and we were called out to a state 2, it landed safely however the german pilot was in a right old state and we had to take him up to SMC to be sedated and checked over, apparently it was his best mate he had killed

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
I think it was 82 when the incident I remember happened, iirc it was a two ship formation, the rear aircraft descended into the rear of the cockpit area of the lead aircraft, the pilot was apparently decapitated and the impact was such that the other had its rear spine broken and we were called out to a state 2, it landed safely however the german pilot was in a right old state and we had to take him up to SMC to be sedated and checked over, apparently it was his best mate he had killed
Not 82 deffo 78/79 I was there stood on the pan outside the Engine Bay and watched it happen

R

riggertoSTAB

I was on 92 in 88-90 and met the said Nav Al Inv on my arrivals GDT. He was on a sim tour. Ironically one of the lineys who saw of the Jag applied for another RAFG tour and finished up on 92. Irony is an amazing thing!

Jrids

SAC
I was on 92 in 88-90 and met the said Nav Al Inv on my arrivals GDT. He was on a sim tour. Ironically one of the lineys who saw of the Jag applied for another RAFG tour and finished up on 92. Irony is an amazing thing!

I remember Al Inv (late 70s) he and Guns Clark would alway 'break' somewhere on the way to Cyrprus, and meet the recovery crew with a 6 pack or 2.

Any one remember the kite that took the RAG for a trip.

cup of corrrfeee

mikeyh

LAC
I new your Dad

I new your Dad

Hi Nick

I was the Air OPs clerk on 92 Sqn at the time your father was there. A really nice guy, he was also my sailing instructor as we had a club on a massive lake across the border in Holland at Roermond. I was on shift that day and i,m seem to remember it would have been sailing club that night. Alas that was not to be. I,m sure I may have some pictures of your Dad in the attic. I will have a look and see if i can find any. The two crew you mention I,m sure i know the names if that helps. Not sure I should mention over a open forum. But can give you a list of all aircrew at the time if you have a e mail address i can send to.

I have only just joined and long since left the service and your request is a few years old. But hope this will find you.

Regards

Mike Hill

I'm not ex-raf but my dad was stationed in Wildenrath in the late 70's and it was his f-4 that crashed when engaging the harriers ( i think so anyway !) - Just looking for any info / stories about him - Just trying to fill in the gaps really. Flt Lt Chris Meade - He was a nav.

Also remember from my perspective (4 yr old - singing about 92 being the best squadron around, probably singing at kids who's dads were in 19 - "92 superstar" to music of Jesus Christ Superstar - can't remember the rest although bound to be suitably scathing.

I also dumped in our neighbours garden when in quarters (watched from the window the whole time apparently) sorry if that was yours !?

My dad flew with a couple of guys a lot in his final years, Sqd Ldr W******* and Flt Lt H******* , If they are still around and in contact with anyone I would like to contact them if possible.

Any stories, info or pictures would be greatly received.

Regards

Nick Meade

Tinybeee

LAC
F104 Crash

F104 Crash

Anybody else remember the Phantom shooting down the Jaguar?

I was part of the crash recovery team for this. The person I felt sorry for was the Cpl(W) Plummer, who was hauled out of the armoury at v short notice, to refit all the pins in the cockpit.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Any one remember the kite that took the RAG for a trip.

not personally but as the tale has been told to me in the past it was a Bucc which took the approach Barrier not RHAG by mistake pulling it out of the ground as he tried to recover
then hauling it away briefly across the German countryside.

morse1001

Sergeant
My brother Andy, who was a FLM on Jags, spoke about the incident recently and he mentioned that it was a Sqdn Ldr jag jockey and that he got praise for waiting until the missile took out the tail before banging out, as if he had banged as it hit, then it was curtain time.

However, the Sqdn ldr, in good old fashioned RAF humour, said that the reason that he waited, was that he could not understand the the thing in the cockpit which was telling him to eject!