• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

92 Sqdn Wildenrath early 80s

M

Macammot

Anybody else remember the Phantom shooting down the Jaguar?

Chaka

Sergeant
T'was a long time ago...but yes, 'check switches safe' was the order of the day if I remember? :pDT_Xtremez_40: I also remember the harrier that tricked a Wilders F4 into a valley in the Ardennes late 70's. The harrier did the VIFF (vectoring in forward flight) stuff and the rather overweight F4 could not make it out of the valley in time. Two dead tomb jockeys.:pDT_Xtremez_08:

Or the Jag formation that broke into the circuit at Bruggen and one broke too soon and hit the guy next to him. Or the F104 Starfighters that landed at Wilders in formation, one had a brake failure, hit the other F104 on roll out and decapitated the lead pilot. Poor old ATC landrover driver ...'Is this your head Sir?':pDT_Xtremez_35:

I think things are a bit safer these days.... as long as you keep the USAF out of the equation of course....:pDT_Xtremez_15:

N

Notsoblunt

Being ex-92, I also remember it well.

On top of that, I seem to recall that not long afterwards we went to Decimommannu on ACMI, only to find the same unfortunate Jag squadron there alongside us.

It wasn't me (or indeed anyone I know) who put the saucers of milk under the nosewheels of each Jag on the line one night, along with a sign saying "nice pussy cat!":pDT_Xtremez_28:

Cobras here, Cobras there, Cobras every - fcuking - where :pDT_Xtremez_14:

M

Miss A. Proach

Even felt the umbilical on the wall by the Jag panel recovered from the wreckage.

G

GTFPDQ

Wasnt so much check switches as check the circuit breakers were pulled and clipped.

G

gemarriott

Even felt the umbilical on the wall by the Jag panel recovered from the wreckage.

Do you meant the tomb crashed?

the umbilical stays with the launcher when the missile is fired so it was recovered from the "knobbers" who fired the missile's kite.

Bet you were trying to catch this old fella out weren't you?:pDT_Xtremez_14:

F4 v Sepetic Cat

F4 v Sepetic Cat

Yep, remember it well. Didn't the pilot claim that the....."bit of red tape over the Master Arm was missing?" Just lucky the Jag pilot managed to ride Martin-Baker weren't we?
As for the saucres of milk, it was old hat by the 80's, we had it done to us (54) at Lossie by the 809 Buccanneer's at Lossie in '73. A nice variation was done by 3 Sqdn at the TFM, at Leuchars, in '78 by the addition of drip-trays ful of chicken-sh$t, so the cat's could have a cr@p:pDT_Xtremez_30:
Things like that bighten your day, talking of which it's another hot one over here in NZ:pDT_Xtremez_31:
Finally the England cricket team is coming good

Have a good day

Kiwi Jacko:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I've got déjà vu - which is not good cos its fcuking French FFS

So I'm saying fcuk all about it

:pDT_Xtremez_06:

C

Chuffybum

Re Tomb v Pussycat

Re Tomb v Pussycat

I remember the incident very well. It happenned during an exercise and the ac was coming off Battle Flight (QRA as is now). The crew decided to join in the exercise and bump a Jag even although they were fully loaded (tits!). The pilot was FL Roy L and Nav was FL Al I. The pilot did indeed blame the incident on missing red tape that should have covered the master arm switch. He was obviously a total buffoon 'cos he must have accidentally forgotton about the fully laden Soiux Gun, 4 Sidewinders and 4 Sparrows that he was carrying...duh!!

G

gemarriott

I remember the incident very well. It happenned during an exercise and the ac was coming off Battle Flight (QRA as is now). The crew decided to join in the exercise and bump a Jag even although they were fully loaded (tits!). The pilot was FL Roy L and Nav was FL Al I. The pilot did indeed blame the incident on missing red tape that should have covered the master arm switch. He was obviously a total buffoon 'cos he must have accidentally forgotton about the fully laden Soiux Gun, 4 Sidewinders and 4 Sparrows that he was carrying...duh!!

Mate you are a man after my own heart. for years the stick seat interfaces have tried to use that excuse and for years I've been asking them "didn't you notice the 8 big white pointy things and the six shooter when you got to the kite? Did you read the role and weapon state on the 705? didn't you notice your weapon panel showed 8 missiles instead of the usual 2 sparrow and 1 winder in conventional 2 simplug one AQSW training fit?"

but what I really need to know is was the tw@t a yank? because that would explain everything

C

Chuffybum

Tomb v Pussycat

Tomb v Pussycat

Gemarriot
Hate to disappoint you but I'm afraid we can't blame our favourit allies on this one. The gentleman in question was without a doubt an upper class twonker from the great English public school system (that is NOT an anti english sentiment by the way). The nav was (up untill that point anyway) a genuinely all round good egg from the west coast of Jockland.

denthemen

CAMRA Researcher
The Jaguar Song

The Jaguar Song

I remember penning a wee ditty for this little escapade (normal tune!):

Jaguars don't bother me,
Sidewinders eat 'em for tea
Heat seeking missiles with cats in their sights
Fired up their @rse when they run from the fight

Chorus
And we're saying goodbye, c'est la vie
The reason is easy to see
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean
For shooting them down in RAFG.

Now the Jag as a kite is a big heap of sh1te
This we no longer doubt
Trying to claw its way up to the sky
It doesn't know what it means to be high

Chorus

Now the Phantom's a plane that lives up to its name
Fiendish in every way.
With a Jag in your sights, it must be fair game
Fire off your missile and "Oh What-a-shame"

Put many a Jag Sqn singsong to shame in Deci with that one........

Last edited:
C

Chuffybum

92 Sqdn Wildenrath early 80s

I remember penning a wee ditty for this little escapade (normal tune!):

Jaguars don't bother me,
Sidewinders eat 'em for tea
Heat seeking missiles with cats in their sights
Fired up their @rse when they run from the fight

Chorus
And we're saying goodbye, c'est la vie
The reason is easy to see
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean
For shooting them down in RAFG.

Now the Jag as a kite is a big heap of sh1te
This we no longer doubt
Trying to claw its way up to the sky
It doesn't know what it means to be high

Chorus

Now the Phantom's a plane that lives up to its name
Fiendish in every way.
With a Jag in your sights, it must be fair game
Fire off your missile and "Oh What-a-shame"

Put many a Jag Sqn singsong to shame in Deci with that one........

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Never heard that one before.

P

Pan Warrior

Xx963

Xx963

First flight 18 Nov 1975. It was allocated to No 14 Sqd. On 25 May 1982 it was shot down near Wesel, W. Germany, by a live AIM-9L Sidewinder fired by Phantom FGR.2 XV422 during a simulated combat exercise. The pilot ejected safely.

S

stevecoco_2000

Well might as well break my duck on this web site by adding my words to this thread.

The Jag in question had not long come out of a Minor Serv in ASF, on the day in question this young JT was duty driver and as such did all the crap jobs for the week including manning phones at lunch times. My first job that day was to act as brake man in delivering said Jag back to the Sqn. AT lunch time that day the crash alarm went off and I near shat myself, picking up the phone was told Jag had gone in Pilot OK, puts phone down quickly checks pockets to check all my pens and what ever was accounted for just in case it was my fault (blocking flying controls etc) relief all there. Phone rings again its OK plane has not crashed on Station and to standown with crash trolley etc. WAs then told aircraft had been shot down, FLUCK OFF TOSSER I said to the man on the phone, this is Sqn Ldr Blah and I'm not a tosser whats your name sonny, WELL how would you react to that gem.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

S

stevecoco_2000

Oh one more thing 8 1/2 Sqn ( 17 Sqn were light on jets, all u/s) and I am sure we delivered it to them for a wee shot, the the tossers get it shot down. By the way the day I arrived at Bruggen the jags collided one landed safely the other crash landed in the bomb dump. Rumour has it the FS bomb dumpies prize koi carp were squirted all over the burning jet. ALSO my old man being a plumber was drafted in to the board of enquiry.

G

gemarriott

Well might as well break my duck on this web site by adding my words to this thread.

The Jag in question had not long come out of a Minor Serv in ASF, on the day in question this young JT was duty driver and as such did all the crap jobs for the week including manning phones at lunch times. My first job that day was to act as brake man in delivering said Jag back to the Sqn. AT lunch time that day the crash alarm went off and I near shat myself, picking up the phone was told Jag had gone in Pilot OK, puts phone down quickly checks pockets to check all my pens and what ever was accounted for just in case it was my fault (blocking flying controls etc) relief all there. Phone rings again its OK plane has not crashed on Station and to standown with crash trolley etc. WAs then told aircraft had been shot down, FLUCK OFF TOSSER I said to the man on the phone, this is Sqn Ldr Blah and I'm not a tosser whats your name sonny, WELL how would you react to that gem.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Like it mate:pDT_Xtremez_31:

I would have said to Sqdn Leader snooty "and I'm Lord trenchard, now feck off and wind some other poor bugger up" because I would not have believed him, explainds why I was no stranger to keys and teas I suppose:pDT_Xtremez_42:

F

FL100

I happened to be on the auths desk at a swing wing OCU in the flatlands. Bored one night I recalled the story to the auth, who listened with interest, nodded at the appropriate moments. After I had finished he said "actually that was me in the front seat", :pDT_Xtremez_42: I nearly spat my tea over the Ops desk, made my excuses and left. I thought the now S\L L was a nice chap and easy to while away the night flying hours with, but then what would I know, I only knew him for 7 years!.

C

Chuffybum

I happened to be on the auths desk at a swing wing OCU in the flatlands. Bored one night I recalled the story to the auth, who listened with interest, nodded at the appropriate moments. After I had finished he said "actually that was me in the front seat", :pDT_Xtremez_42: I nearly spat my tea over the Ops desk, made my excuses and left. I thought the now S\L L was a nice chap and easy to while away the night flying hours with, but then what would I know, I only knew him for 7 years!.

I knew him well, both on 228 before I went to 92 when the "accident" happened. I'm absolutely amazed to hear he got promoted. Certainly his Nav FL I remained a FL till he left the RAF quite a few years later.

matkat

SAC
I knew him well, both on 228 before I went to 92 when the "accident" happened. I'm absolutely amazed to hear he got promoted. Certainly his Nav FL I remained a FL till he left the RAF quite a few years later.

As a previous poster said the Nav was a top bloke I knew A Iv at Leuchars and as you say He did indeed leave as a Flt Lt in 1988/9 IIRC.
By the way unlike the front seater (I never knew Him) He never tried to blame anyone else than themselves, a true Gent.