• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst mess ever

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Leconfield mess, I don't think the block I was in had been decorated since my dad was there in the early 70's.

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Brize Norton

Brize Norton

As a mobile type in my days, I stayed in many messes and the worst ever had to be Brize Norton in the transit area. Go to reception, get a key for your room, check the room, back to reception to sign for it and then get another key to open the locker to get your bedding out, whilst being informed that the room would be checked prior to my departure. Green plastic mattress cover on the bed. I went elsewhere to stay the night as after some 37 years service, I could be trusted not to wet the bed. That was in 2009 and my welcome to the contract system!!! I wrote a strongly worded letter to the Station Commander but never received a reply. I raised the matter at the WO's conference only to be told that the contractors had acted in accordance with contract.

Last edited:

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Worst mess ever? - probably any Army mess. I've also stayed at HMS Nelson, and HMS Drake and both of those were pretty bad too.

I would generally agree, Army mess's are gash. Middle Wallop was ok though. The accommodation was a bit basic but the food was OK and the company in the bar was very friendly

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Leconfield mess, I don't think the block I was in had been decorated since my dad was there in the early 70's.

Quite possible; I was boltholed to Leconfield from Binbrook in '76 and then went back there in '93 for a BV206 driving course. Didin't look much different.

Picking up on Mick a Nick's comment, when i went to Leconfield in '93, I had to sign for the bedding (ok, you expected that) but also the wardrobe, bedside table & the s*****g 13 am socket on the wall! Truly, Army run transit accom is always dire in my experience.

These days I get to stay in Officers' Messes occasionally and even some of them are pretty dire for transitees (HMS Raleigh's Wardroom for one). Previous visits to Wyton and Waddington didn't impress either.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Wow! You must have been on the 3rd floor. 2nd was nice and quiet. You must have looooooved the baby seagulls screeching on the outskirts in nesting season!!!

The ground floor was ok too. The only snag was the duty crew getting called out at all hours. But I was only there for a few weeks so it didn't matter too much.

Seanious

LAC
RAF Cosford WO & Sgts Mess. Easily the worst I’ve seen in all my years. Most staff are great however the deputy manager was just downright rude. My breakfast was a different charge each day, and when I questioned the reason to the varying price I couldn't get a firm answer other than more backchat. They forget they are there to provide a service and not assume any position that is somehow above the service personnel.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Since the Army took over Aldergrove it has rapidly gone to the dogs, so much that most of the seniors don civvies and eat in the JR's.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Never made the dizzy heights of SNCO so only ever stayed in an old folks home as a CI in the ATC. Scampton wasn't all that good . Food worse than any JRM that I'd been in and a bar (not so full) of miserable gits

Tocsin

LAC
I suppose that another way of looking at it is cost vs. quality... Chicksands is cr*p, but only 14p duty rate, Wyton is now £2.50, up from £1!

I wonder what the lowest and highest duty rates are?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I left when it was mainly 10p a night - but Kinloss’s Mess was almost £40!!!