• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst mess ever

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just arrived for another course at Halton and staying in the old folks home again....

It's got to be the worst mess in NATO. Anyone think of a worse one.....??? I can't...

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Worthy Down was pretty crap when I went on a course there in 2012. The net curtain in the room was so dirty I washed it and returned it to its white condition from dark grey.

I stayed overnight at Southwick Park en route to a short-uni course in 2011. I had to make my bed (literally) - it was in pieces.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Cranwell ain't the best - water was pouring in from a leaky roof and after a while did damage to the walls (funny thing!). So while funding was sourced, for many months we had to look at blankets that had been placed strategically around the damp, mouldy, black spots.

Also had a power cut one night, the civvy staff decided to close the bar as the till couldn't work and they refused to take chits :(

But MWD bed story is quite funny!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Worthy down and bland ford are army so naturally sh1te and out of the question.

I didn't think cranwell was that bad when I spent a month there a few years ago....

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I thought Uxbridge Mess was quite pants when I stayed there... but it's gone now...thankfully

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'd controversially offer up Kinloss. Yes it had some whistles and bells but it was essentially a bunch of wheeless caravans slotted into a steel frame with a thin-ish skin then wrapped around the outside. You could hear a bloke on the vinegar strokes 4 rooms down...if you got a snorer of any quality he (or she..I'm not sexist) could keep and entire wing awake.

Nice to have a bath in your ensuite granted but you could drown in it from the lack of sleep the previous night.

This is a personal bug-bare of mine as I am a very light sleeper.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Windy Wyton was pretty crap especially the transit wing. Come to think of it the rest of the mess was pretty crap too.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Old Folks home Halton is dire but by far the worst was RAF Spadeadam portacabins with no heating holes in the floor etc tri-Service then Keogh Barracks stopped in Jnr Ranks as a Cpl, Sgts mess and Off mess all ****e

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Another vote for despicable Wyton.
Horrible mortuary like place.
Rooms and corridors reek of death and desolation.
Abandon hope all he who enter here...

rocket scientist

Sergeant
You've got a mess? In a "Life of Brian" stylee - "Oh how I dreamed of having a mess to use in my last posting...."

The nearest I got to using a mess during the last 3 years has been the ex Officers at Benbecular, now run by QinetiQ and that was far from plush.

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
Just arrived for another course at Halton and staying in the old folks home again....

It's got to be the worst mess in NATO. Anyone think of a worse one.....??? I can't...

South Cerney hands down, no hot water, eating breakfast in a museum and the mess bar had draught taps just to mug off anyone brave enough to order a beer (and receive a warm can of Carlsberg instead). Bizarre as ****.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I stayed overnight at Southwick Park en route to a short-uni course in 2011. I had to make my bed (literally) - it was in pieces.

I forgot to add - A few weeks later, I received a transferred Mess Bill for the night. I had taken a photo of my unmade bed to send to my wife. When I received the Bill, I printed the photo and sent it to the Mess Manager stating that perhaps they may wish to reconsider.

I never heard any more on the matter!

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
The old mess at HMS Nelson was exactly that, a real mess.
Crap food and accommodation and, a really crap bar full of unfriendly crusty old matelots with chips the size of Victory's main mast on their shoulders.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'd controversially offer up Kinloss. Yes it had some whistles and bells but it was essentially a bunch of wheeless caravans slotted into a steel frame with a thin-ish skin then wrapped around the outside. You could hear a bloke on the vinegar strokes 4 rooms down...if you got a snorer of any quality he (or she..I'm not sexist) could keep and entire wing awake.

Nice to have a bath in your ensuite granted but you could drown in it from the lack of sleep the previous night.

This is a personal bug-bare of mine as I am a very light sleeper.

Wow! You must have been on the 3rd floor. 2nd was nice and quiet. You must have looooooved the baby seagulls screeching on the outskirts in nesting season!!!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Worthy Down Officers' Mess.

Army and JS Catering College so amazing food. Rooms? Like a 60's Motel

Worst mess ever? - probably any Army mess. I've also stayed at HMS Nelson, and HMS Drake and both of those were pretty bad too.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Without a doubt has to be Headley Court. Looks lovely on the outside (and all the bits visited by Princes) but in reality a festering ****ehole. Also the only Mess I’ve ever been in which SNCO’s rooms were inspected weekly by the CO. Unfeckin’ believable.