• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wokeful or Woeful?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If the RAF cannot successfully get enough non-white, non-male, non-heterosexual people to come through the AFCO doors voluntarily then there will have to be recourse to the RN's traditional recruiting tactics - the press gang, coming soon... :) :)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Rumour has it this is right up Wigston’s alley…allegedly keen on his woke leaning.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Wiggy was earmarked for high office at a very early age as a JP. He has been manoeuvred and career managed from the mid 90s. 30 years later, it would be very hard to find out what the real Mike Wigston thinks of anything after a career where everything he does was with a view on the next rung.

House of Lords perhaps next.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Wiggy was earmarked for high office at a very early age as a JP. He has been manoeuvred and career managed from the mid 90s. 30 years later, it would be very hard to find out what the real Mike Wigston thinks of anything after a career where everything he does was with a view on the next rung.

House of Lords perhaps next.
'twas ever thus.. I once worked under a Sqdn Ldr whose card was marked. Despite a couple of less than glittering tours (a project cancelled the day, literally, after he left the PM post) every time I met afterwards he had gone up a rank and he ended up as AM.
Admittedly he was a nice guy...

Deltaitem

Corporal
A missed opportunity to tap into all areas of society and population for more recruits. I don't disagree with the message they were trying to put out, maybe it needs to be applied differently.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A missed opportunity to tap into all areas of society and population for more recruits. I don't disagree with the message they were trying to put out, maybe it needs to be applied differently.

Perhaps they need to find a way that doesn't alienate the majority.

Deltaitem

Corporal
A majority that still remains, and always has been understaffed, even before the evil of woke came along to take the blame. Wonder why.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
So they aim to recruit 20% of recruits for the RAF from ethnic minorities.
Good luck with that, they're already struggling from those demographics and the population of the UK is 87% non-ethnic.
So the target they're aiming for is way above the national average - still it'll look good on a poster somewhere especially if some of them can attend a pride march as well - 2 boxes ticked.

I remember in the early 2000s i had to watch a presentation on future recruiting. Basically it said 'in order to encourage and recruit from certain ethnic backgrounds we may have to lower the joining standards for them'.
How I read that was if my nephew wanted to join up he had to meet a higher standard because of his skin colour. Didn't matter how much twisting and turning the management and visitors from MOD said did that's what it said and finally they admitted it.

You can't force people to join up if they have no interest and if there aren't enough minorities applying to join now turning off the tap for non-minorities isn't going to help.
All employers should have a fair representation of the population but it looks like the RAF want to over-represent certain demographics at the cost of the majority.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
To be clear, I have no issues with widening the pool of potential recruits as far as is possible & don't much care what someone's ethnicity, religion or sexual identity is as long as they can do the job for which they are recruited. If that means reaching out to wider communities or changing recruiting approaches for them to encourage potential recruits then that's fine by me.

At the end of the day, however, if they don't willingly come through the door then they can't be recruited and it would be wrong, imho, to leave the service under strength when there are willing recruits available but they just happen not to be the right flavour of recruit for this month's quota.

However, Wiggy has issued a statement this morning to categorically deny that that is happening. So all is well and it was the nasty media creating an issue that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It does appear that the Royal Air Force is in the middle of an existential crisis.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Javid says it's a silly policy.

Hardly a ringing disendorsement coming from a tory. Based on their track record for presiding over defence cuts, he's probably secretly glad there are less people in the air force to train, feed and ultimately pay.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Is the Cross-Channel Rubber Boat community adequately represented? Have any been recruited for the RAF to be properly inclusive? :unsure: