• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wider Service Medal

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
One thing that's always puzzled me.

The participants of GW1 who were based in Cyprus received a medal without a rosette IIRC.

Those who took part in GW2 in Cyprus received nothing apart from a thoroughly good pumping in the debriefing room.

Will there be a phased plan to extend the WSM retrospectively to the bucket and spade veterans?

Deltaitem

Corporal
The participants of GW1 who were based in Cyprus received a medal without a rosette IIRC.
As far as I remember, you got the rosette if you were in theatre during the shooting, so I guess Cyprus wasn't considered in theatre.
My tour lasted August to November '90, including Cyprus and Bahrain, so I got the gong because while I was in theatre, I was back in the UK two months before the shooting started, so didn't get the rosette.
My mate's brother served in the Army Air Corps, and was based somewhere in the UK for GW1, but still got a gong minus rosette because he was on standby to deploy.

The cut off date is 2018 so no intention of looking at Ops before that. A line has to be drawn somewhere and in all honesty, when you consider the cost and bureaucracy of issuing this to everyone that's ever deployed on non OSM earning dets in the past it would be a non starter.

I don't think it's aimed at the older bunch anyway, most of us that have been in for the the last 20-30 years have enough bling already. But I do think it might help the younger generation feel that their time away was recognised. A small token can make a difference to some people

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Devalues the UK medal system imo. We're just giving out a medal to appease the younger generation and give them something to wear - just like the Septics, chest full of medals and ribbons for nothing and we just laugh at them.

A chest full of UK medals used to mean something, now the parades will be full of chocolate ones and the WSM.

Oh well, not my Air Force anymore :)

On the plus side, got my KCM last week and sent them off for court mounting. Put the JPA claim in and within the hour it was ready for payment :)

Last edited:

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
The DIN hasn't been released yet so don't know what from the RAF side is covered but it's basically to keep the Army happy for enduring Estonia for 6 months.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
"Woke medals have started then... it'll be the equivalent of a junior school sports day participation medal... because there are no losers."

"I Had To Serve In A Campaign Theatre To Get Mine"

"Sounds like some whiney officers need a medal. Cant/won't go anywhere sketchy but want some bling anyway. FFS"

"Zob medal...."

"Why not just issue a ‘Service Medal’ to anyone who signed on the dotted line and at least passed basic and trade training?
I’m not a fan of the Yank system and having a chest full but each and every serviceman deserves recognition and I don’t mean the pointless Veterans ID. I know a lot of ex RAF who didn’t receive any medals due to circumstance or wrong place at the wrong time so a general medal would be worn with pride."

FB comments are coming in.

What's the younger generation think? Good idea? Proud to wear?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm out now and have plenty of medals, but I don't really see an issue with this.....did numerous long dets that had no medal, Azotize, Kipion, Biloxi...so I'd have been happy to get one.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Medals: together with rank and qualification badges, such awards are a means to outwardly display the highlights of a serviceperson's career.

A turning up medal is a bit crap, but i suppose it makes us all inclusive and gives people something to wear. I'm proud of the work i did in some of the non-medal worthy places, but then again, i wouldn't really want a medal for a few weeks/months in a hotel in the likes of Romania.

Not something i'm dying on a hill over, i just think it's a bit pointless.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Just got home and these were waiting for me:

Got mine and a few mates done by George McKay - another great job :)

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Medals: together with rank and qualification badges, such awards are a means to outwardly display the highlights of a serviceperson's career.

A turning up medal is a bit crap, but i suppose it makes us all inclusive and gives people something to wear. I'm proud of the work i did in some of the non-medal worthy places, but then again, i wouldn't really want a medal for a few weeks/months in a hotel in the likes of Romania.

Not something i'm dying on a hill over, i just think it's a bit pointless.
Agreed. Did a lot of tours in the FI. RRS and QRA were always on 05. Didn't feel the need for a gong tho

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I guess the parades these days are very much a case of the haves and have nots, with parade commanders sporting perhaps one jubilee medal whilst some of the SNCOs will have 7 or 8.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I guess the parades these days are very much a case of the haves and have nots, with parade commanders sporting perhaps one jubilee medal whilst some of the SNCOs will have 7 or 8.

I must be old as I look a lot of senior officers don't have the Golden Jubilee.