• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why WAS Friday special?

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I capitalise the word 'was', because for many of the boys and girls currently working, their Friday is much the same workwise as any other day.
So, for the slightly senior generation... '
What activity made your Friday special?'
For me, working at a very, very small Section at St Athan in the 90s, manned by me, one chief and 7 civvies, it was 'Finish at 11:30, everyone into the mini bus and head to the pub.' A great morale booster as the boss joined us for Friday lunch and he always bought the first round. Taxi home late afternoon and wagon recovery Saturday.
Sadly, for the life of me, I can't remember the pub name, but it was out the main gate on the east camp, left and then right at the main road - can't be more than 4/5 miles down the main road and a pull in on the right.
THAT was a great memory of the good old days.
What special event/s did you look forward to at the weeks end?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Similar for me at Leeming back in the 70s.

Mouldy Monster at Exelby for sausage and chips in a basket eased down with 3 or 4 pints of John Smiths finest.

Back to work for an hour pushing a hairy stick around then grab a N2 walk round kit to do the WOs tyres then back to the block for a kip before hitting the families club at 5 to get the weekend started.

Reactions: 6A1

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What activity made your Friday special?'
For me, working at a very, very small Section at St Athan in the 90s,
For me working at a very small section tin bashing on 7 sqn at St. Athan in the 80's. Friday lunchtime in the Old Brewery pub, in uniform rank tabs turned over. When we were properly refreshed it was back to the bay quick sweep up, tidy up and sign up of any forgotten paperwork. Key orderly last to leave the rest scatter to the weekend. This was most weeks, back then it was the norm, not badged as anything trendy like team building exercise just the usual Friday lunchtime down the pub.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At St Mawgan as ground crew it might be a few lunch time sharpeners down the NAAFI followed by a snooze then off to find a beer call OR straight to the Penguin Club at around 4pm, drink till around 6.30pm, scab a lift home (most of us rented in town, three to a house which made the Young Ones gaff look like luxury) in Newquay, dial a cab for 20 mins time as you walk through the door then off down town to start off in the Albert, walking down the hill towards the Central, Corkers and Newquay Arms followed by a club.

At Kinloss as aircrew it’s be a couple of lunchtime cold ones in the mess and a prawn baguette mit chips then back to the sqn to hang around until the bar opened. Always free (everyone put a fiver a month in via mess bill and that covered it) you’d get mildly mullered and (after getting changed) either stay local and the rugby club, Abbey or Findhorn, go a little further afield and end up in the Beasty then the ‘Gussett’ in Forres or go large and taxi to Elgin to the Thunderton and ultimately’Jo’s’ and the Bucky Commandos. Whatever you chose you were getting twatted and would go on to make some epically bad decisions before the night was up!

Vushtrri

Sergeant
..it was special because in the late 70’s it meant going down the Peterborough Arms not far from Lyneham at noon and getting shitfaced on Marstons Merry Monk Mild..

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
..it was special because in the late 70’s it meant going down the Peterborough Arms not far from Lyneham at noon and getting shitfaced on Marstons Merry Monk Mild..
Was that the one at the bottom of the hill?

Vushtrri

Sergeant
As Downsizer says, yes. We also used the Trotting Horse at Bushton which had a skittles alley at the back. Hard to believe those lunchtime sessions were 44 yrs ago!

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

fourteen2two

Corporal
Good nights in RAFG, at Laarbuch, sections beer call once a month. Then Snoopys or as a scaley, Little City in Weeze then home for a bollocking off the missus!😃
First tour at Wildenrath as a single, beer call Malley maybe down the village who knows🤪

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Back in the late 80’s / early 90’s if you weren’t going to a Friday beer call somewhere on camp you weren’t trying hard enough.

Last edited:

6A1

SAC
Similar for me at Leeming back in the 70s.

Mouldy Monster at Exelby for sausage and chips in a basket eased down with 3 or 4 pints of John Smiths finest.

Back to work for an hour pushing a hairy stick around then grab a N2 walk round kit to do the WOs tyres then back to the block for a kip before hitting the families club at 5 to get the weekend started.
Green Dragon for the uneducated!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Fridays at Shawbury’s ASF was all teams down to the Ele (phant & Castle) for 1200 down a few pints and share someones chips or peanuts and back to the hangar for a quick sweep and empty the bins before knocking off at 1530-ish
MEAS at Laarbruch had a 4pm beer call every Friday in the ‘trade training’ room - often leading to cold meals at home or warm meals in Weeze.