• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are you proud to be in the RAF?

F

Fablon biff chit

A few things that make me proud,
one is receiving a parcel addressed to “Raf Det” Afghanistan from a complete stranger who wants us to know he is thinking of us whilst were away from home and wants us to know how proud and grateful he is. Makes you realise people do value us.

The Yanks have/had a programme where school kids etc send parcels out to war zones, addressed to "Any Marine" "Any Sailor" etc etc.

Couldn't imagine that here in the UK!?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Yanks have/had a programme where school kids etc send parcels out to war zones, addressed to "Any Marine" "Any Sailor" etc etc.

Couldn't imagine that here in the UK!?

They had a similar scheme in GW1, dunno about now. Problem was, the great unwashed didnt get so many, they were all addressed to RAF pilot etc. ::p:

M

Mentaldrummer1980

Why am I proud to be in the RAF

Why am I proud to be in the RAF

Well I am very proud to be in the RAF and particulary proud to be a RAF Policeman and Why am proud to be part of the Snowdrops you ask.
I am very proud of the RAFP history and so for those who still think the RAF Police are worthless and have done nothing sit back and enjoy the read.

1. The RAFP was formed on the same day the RAF itself was formed on the 1st April 1918 when RFC personnel at Halton and Blandford Camps were employed on camp police duties becoming the first members of the RAF Police.

2. In 1939 with the threat of War approaching the RAF service police (SP's) increased and therefore the RAF Police trade was officially approved.

3. On the outbreak of war a specially equipped RAFP service unit joined the BEF and deployed into France.

4. 6 June 1944 D Day invasion of france, No 6 RAFP Sy Section accompany 2TAF & 21st Canadian Army Group ashore on Juno Beach.

5. Nov 1945, RAFP tasked by War Crimes Judge advokate to investigate the Murder, by the Gestapo of the 50 recaptured Officers at Stalag luft 111 (The great Escape). The case was brought to an end towards the end of the 1950's resulting in 21 defendents sentenced to death, 17 sent to prison, 11 comitted suicide, 8 were aquitted and 10 were believed to have been killed before the war ended. So in all not a bad result for the RAFP.

6. 1953, first kiloton range of "Blue Danube" atomic weapons delivered to the RAF to be matched with the V force. A result being the RAFP commence nuclear security duties, a task which would last for just over 40 years.

So there you have it a brief insight into why i am so proud to be an RAF Policeman and of our trades history believe me there is lots more but i wouldnt want to clog up the thread.
This was really to provide an insight to those that probably didnt even know that we had a history. So i hope this was informative and makes you as proud of the RAFP as i am.

F

Fablon biff chit

Wherever you walk, you will hear people talk, of the men that go up in the air.

Of the daredevil way they entered the fray, facing death without turning a hair.

They'll raise a big cheer and buy lots of beer, for a pilot home on leave;

But don't give a jigger for a flight mech or rigger, with nothing but "props" on his sleeve.

They'll just say "Nice day," then turn away, with never a word of praise.

And the poor bloody erk who does all the work, just orders his own beer, and pays!

They've never been told of the hours in the cold, that he spends sealing Germany's fate.

How he works on a kite, ‘till all hours of night, and turns up next morning at eight.

He gets no rake-off for working till take-off; or for helping the aircrew prepare.

But whenever there's trouble, it's "Quick, at the double." The man on the ground must be there.

Each flying crew could tell it to you, they know what this man's really worth.

They know he's a part of the RAF's heart, even though he stays close to the earth.

He doesn't want glory, but please tell his story, spread a little of his fame around.

He's one of the few, so give him his due. Three cheers for the man on the ground!

By a Mr L H Day, during WW II. But as true today as it was then!

Last edited:
C

Canberraman

Thank you.

Thank you.

I'm 77 now, but can still look back with pride on my service wth the Royal Air Force. I helped to keep the Lincoln's and later, the Canberra's flying and the aircrew in those days knew how to say "Thank you"

Canberra Man.

crap_prop

LAC
Why am I proud.

Why am I proud.

Why am I proud to be in the RAF? Thats a good bloody question, especially these days, when we dont have righteous wars to fight like our fathers and grandfathers, we just help enforce our governments or should I say George dubya's foriegn policies, on a shoestring as well I might add. But no matter what I have done and where I have been I have tried to do the best that I could not for my sake but to make sure that as many as my brothers and sisters in arms get to come home safely, wether they be land sea or air. And this is what makes me proud, that every where I have been, the lads and lasses work their bollox off in support of each other. We look out for each other. Some of us may give other trades dirty looks across the mess or in the departure lounge at Brize or Lynham, but when it comes down to it we will all find ourselves in the s@#t sooner or later these days, and we know that the other cnuts in that hole with you will help you out. Thats what makes me proud, you lot out there, I've got some good friends out there friends and people that you would'nt meet in any other job in the world. I may not have always believed in what I am doing but I have always believed in the lad or lass who has been at my side whilst I have been doing it. Keep on being bitter and twisted but keep on looking out for each other. And scrum down baby.

Last edited:

Gloworm

LAC
Proud to serve? Damned right I was

Proud to serve? Damned right I was

I joined in the Seventies, did my time across the next 19 years and came out in '96. I met a lot of people across those years, not all that I liked or even soclialised with but I did know that when the chips were down that I would have the backup of one of the finest teams wherever.

I served in various theatres and have never known Cameraderie like it, not before or since. Civvies just haven't got a clue, they are too hell bent on their own self centred existance.

I miss the humour, and the lifestyle, away for a month every other month to somewhere different, probably not so much now as the RAF has shrunk. Commitments have escalated but the manning has halved, now that makes sense.

Wear your uniform and your time like a badge of honour, you are part of a unique club, you took the step that many only dream of...I don't miss the Bullsh*t and pulling stag on a cold, wet windswept night though thats for sure. If you can't take the Air Farce you shouldn't have joined a joke (formed 1 April remember?)

D

Defender of the universe

Who are you kidding?
Its without a doubt that most people aint proud to serve. Most of the people in are either stuck between 15 years and 22 in which case they are in the pension trap.
The others over 22 dont know what else to do.
Then there are the ones who want to leave before they hit 12 years but are either too scared to make the leap or just too dumb and believe that the RAF will look after them.
Me for one used to be proud to serve in the RAF .. Now Im just glad to be getting out and actually embarking on what for me will be a new challenge and will not panic like most people would.

The RAF is not what it was when I joined in 1998 which wasnt really long ago.
Me. I owe the Raf nothing and am now totally disillusioned by what the RAF say it can offer people and the fact that it treats all employees with respect. GeT real if you believe this you want locking up.

Good luck to all who still believe that they are proud to pull on the blue suit every morning because given time you should change your minds.

Last edited:

jack brew

Sergeant
Be proud to tell people you're in the mob! Just don't pop their bubble when they assume you're a pilot - how naive can people be!

S

Seymour Tw@tt

Who are you kidding?
Its without a doubt that most people aint proud to serve. Most of the people in are either stuck between 15 years and 22 in which case they are in the pension trap.
The others over 22 dont know what else to do.
Then there are the ones who want to leave before they hit 12 years but are either too scared to make the leap or just too dumb and believe that the RAF will look after them.
Me for one used to be proud to serve in the RAF .. Now Im just glad to be getting out and actually embarking on what for me will be a new challenge and will not panic like most people would.

The RAF is not what it was when I joined in 1998 which wasnt really long ago.
Me. I owe the Raf nothing and am now totally disillusioned by what the RAF say it can offer people and the fact that it treats all employees with respect. GeT real if you believe this you want locking up.

Good luck to all who still believe that they are proud to pull on the blue suit every morning because given time you should change your minds.

Well, DOTU, you and I have had our tiffs in the past (oooh matron) but sadly I can only echo what you have written. Some people have been lucky and been given the said "respect" and opportunities to develop careers and lives. However the majority is not in that position, and I have seen many lives blighted by the small minds and bigots who still pervade the rank structures.

This isn't some green eyed rant at missed chances or lack of opportunity, this is from someone who like many others swallowed the myth that hard work, dedication, application, duty and honesty would result in reward of promotion and recognition. If so, how come the army almost certainly guarantees you SNCO rank by the time 22 comes round, yet I see plenty of RAF cpls retiring. In fact today, a colleague of mine has just been shafted for the last time and his PVR is hitting the desk this week - and you couldn't find a more willing and dedicated airman.

I'm afraid I can't accept that we all get treated equally - OOAs certainly don't rotate evenly. The trouble is the hierarchy relies on the "will do" attitude, and they certainly engender the "divide and rule" policy, as posts on this thread will attest.

It's a shame really - I don't regret joining up per se, I've seen and done some good things, but I just regret what the RAF has allowed itself to become, and the genre of some of the people who have got on at the expense of the ones who should have. Not all of those who have got on are obviously that bad - I've had a few cracking bosses - but there are plenty of the wrong sort who have progressed, that make the rest of us decide enough's enough...

:pDT_Xtremez_21:

W

work_shy_get

At least my family can be proud of the fact that I didn't end up like all the other kids back home, hooked on drugs and crime.

Exactly what I was going to say, with the exception of a few, and dare I say it one lad at home is still on his feet after finishing 4 yrs in the Royal Engineers and the other is my sister witha decent job. The rest of the old crowd..... still working in tesco still living with mummy and still hooked on drugs with 2 kids running around. Not ever what I had planned, possibly more thankful i joined up than proud?

D

Defender of the universe

Well, DOTU, you and I have had our tiffs in the past (oooh matron) but sadly I can only echo what you have written. Some people have been lucky and been given the said "respect" and opportunities to develop careers and lives. However the majority is not in that position, and I have seen many lives blighted by the small minds and bigots who still pervade the rank structures.

This isn't some green eyed rant at missed chances or lack of opportunity, this is from someone who like many others swallowed the myth that hard work, dedication, application, duty and honesty would result in reward of promotion and recognition. If so, how come the army almost certainly guarantees you SNCO rank by the time 22 comes round, yet I see plenty of RAF cpls retiring. In fact today, a colleague of mine has just been shafted for the last time and his PVR is hitting the desk this week - and you couldn't find a more willing and dedicated airman.

I'm afraid I can't accept that we all get treated equally - OOAs certainly don't rotate evenly. The trouble is the hierarchy relies on the "will do" attitude, and they certainly engender the "divide and rule" policy, as posts on this thread will attest.

It's a shame really - I don't regret joining up per se, I've seen and done some good things, but I just regret what the RAF has allowed itself to become, and the genre of some of the people who have got on at the expense of the ones who should have. Not all of those who have got on are obviously that bad - I've had a few cracking bosses - but there are plenty of the wrong sort who have progressed, that make the rest of us decide enough's enough...

:pDT_Xtremez_21:

Cheers ST glad to see that we do agree on something. Not being sarcastic butty. Me I just believe that the people joining now should be told the truth.
1. THE RAF IS DRASTICALLY UNDERFUNDED.
2. YOU WONT BE A TECHNICIAN FOR MANY YEARS.
3. IF YOU WANT A REAL LIFE DONT JOIN UP.
4 THE MEDICAL SERVICES ARE BETTER IF YOU GO TO AFRICA AND LIVE IN A HUT.
5. YOU DO HAVE TO BE AN OFFICER TO FLY IN THE RAF.
6. YOU WONT BE TREATED AS AN INDIVIDUAL.
7. YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH THE GUYS YOU WORK WITH AS MOST OF THEM ARE PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE WHO LIKE MOST ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY AND TO GET ****ED.
8. ITS NOT TO LATE TO CHANGE YA MIND.

rant over.
I had fun but would not want to be serving in tommorows airforce when there is much more money to be earned outside with less commitments and an easier work load.

D

disgruntled08

Hi first time poster.

I'm a shiney - and I do absolutely nothing all day, everyday. I am sure there are hard working shineys out there - but I don't know any personally!

It makes me proud to know that I get paid for nothing.

Its like that song - money for nothing - kicks for free - was that dire straits?

I get money for nothing - and even a monkey could do my job.

:pDT_Xtremez_25::pDT_Xtremez_25::pDT_Xtremez_25::pDT_Xtremez_25:

P

PUREDEADBRILLITIS

am proud to be in the raf as i get to work with the best people in the business making friends with people from all over the country.But the best part must be sports afternoon on a friday when i get to share a hot shower with these guys, were elsecan u do that I say.:pDT_Xtremez_40:

I've been out ten years, after nine as a techie.

Strangely enough, I am prouder these days that I was part of it, than I was when I was in.

Always the way though eh?

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Sergeant
Exactly the sort of ' guin attitude that grips me. You can't repair your aircraft if you can not protect it. Force Protection affects all not just us 'Rocks'. As for your once a year comment, can I take it that you got out of SGF, IDT, IRT and only touch your weapon once a year? Typical 'guin attitude. The sooner you lot are made to wear CS95 all the time and begin to act like members of the military the better. You are airmen first, tradesmen second and as such are expected to fight and if need be die in the defence of your aircraft and airfield, not just hide behind us Rocks :pDT_Xtremez_40:
is that your teddy in the corner?

S

SAC Tevez

First time post.

I'm proud to be in the RAF, It gave me a decent job when my life was drifting and I was in danger of becoming a lazy sod.