• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are you proud to be in the RAF?

R

Rodent

I guess i'm still proud to be in the RAF, i mean i've met people who will remain friends for life. You don't get that sort of thing in civilian life. If you do its a very rare thing. You can go for years without saying a peep to someone you went through training with, bump into them on det or something and carry on a conversation you had with them the last time you spoke. I suppose i've lost a little pride in recent years due to way the RAF is going but i think there is still some there.

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
Now here comes my proper answer

Now here comes my proper answer

Why am I proud to serve? Tough question, but then again, not that difficult. Been in 16 years now and have seen many members of my family take Auntie Betty's shilling. I was No 18 out of my generation/family to put on those strange uniforms and one of them paid the ultimate price when the AAC Wokka decided to bounce rather than fly.

My dad's generation had more than a few of his cousins and brothers go on a European holiday in the 40's and I have seen the service records to prove it.

But in the end, it boils down to the troops that you are working with and the bosses that you are working for. I have seen my fair share of crawlie bumlick people, but then again, I have met enough zobs/WOs that have made me proud to be in the RAF and working alongside them.

Someone said that the best asset that the RAF has is its' personnel and IMHO it is the truth. We think about the job and do our damndest to make sure that it happens and have a laugh about it as we do the job. While the green jobs and the navy bods do their best, I don't think that they can hold a candle to us lot.

Apologies to all for sounding like ILLBW, but we are the most adaptable force and what we can't do, we get around.

Kim Wipe

Corporal
I've allways loved the ''make the best of a bad situation'' scenario the RAF personnel seem to strive for. In PSAB we spent a few nights in 100 man BFOT's but everyone spent the whole time laughing, joking and then doing the best they knew how to. It seems that no matter the situation or the standard of the equiptment we have to use, the job allways get done. Ok maybe errors do happen every so often (only way to get rid of human error is to get rid of the human) but inevitably the job gets done with the maximum amount of professionalism. Ultimate targets are met and we prove again and again that we can still call ourselves 'the best'. Look at the manpower and operations all our guys are on. wether it be army, navy, us. If other forces in the world even 10 x our ability and utilities had our personnel then it would be a truly awesome force indedeed. That is by no way meant in disrespectful terms but a tribute to our personnel. Ok we all have a moan but we all know where the line is

I am still quite proud to be in. The thing I think I like most these days is that it doesn't matter how much crap gets chucked at us, we still manage to come out of it with a smile and a few stories to tell. The can do attitude still exists but admittedly it is becoming harder.

N

Nutty Bird

I am still quite proud to be in. The thing I think I like most these days is that it doesn't matter how much crap gets chucked at us, we still manage to come out of it with a smile and a few stories to tell. The can do attitude still exists but admittedly it is becoming harder.

i have to agree!

What makes me proudet is that i'm the first member of my family to join the armed forces since my mum's uncle Sammy was in the Royal Flying Corps god knows how many years back. She's so proud of me that she has to tell everyone she meets that her 'little girl' (yes, i'm nearly 30 and she still calls me that, damn her) "is in the RAF and she served in iraq and she's so brave"!!!! She doesn't know the half of it but it gives me such a warm feeling when she says these things! Bless the olds xx

W

Wonky Tonka

I'm proud that I'm in the RAF for the simple reason that I achieved one of my main goals in life.

To all those people who said i'd never do it, and to the people at school who were going on to be doctors and such like, I have but one question:

Why is it that I have moved on in life and you are stuck in the dead-end job, still living at home because you spent all your uni days on the lash and didn't stick in?

At least my family can be proud of the fact that I didn't end up like all the other kids back home, hooked on drugs and crime.

Last edited:
F

Fablon biff chit

She doesn't know the half of it

People can be so naive!

Tell someone you're in the RAF they assume you're a pilot. If you say you're not a pilot, they say "You said you were in the RAF!"

Give me strength :)

S

shoutingwind

I'm proud that with no manpower, no spares and no morale we still make the program everyday. And when you add sand and moaning pongos into the equation we get everyone home from the nasty places.

I'm proud that when people ask my mum what i do she is proud of me as she answers "she in the air force".

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I echo a lot of the reasons put before. Proud to serve as it's what I wanted to do. I do not serve/fight for faceless politicians, nor the Queen. I serve/fight for the good of the fellow serviceman/woman who happens to be at my side at the time.

sparks will fly

Corporal
I am proud to be in the RAF even though it is a bit messed up at the mo. It gave me good training, education and stability to a degree. I have seen a lot of nice places and a lot of not so nice places. I have made freinds for life and some that I would consider ending their life. I know this for certain I would not have had this intersting life if I where a civvie.

i have to agree!

What makes me proudet is that i'm the first member of my family to join the armed forces since my mum's uncle Sammy was in the Royal Flying Corps god knows how many years back. She's so proud of me that she has to tell everyone she meets that her 'little girl' (yes, i'm nearly 30 and she still calls me that, damn her) "is in the RAF and she served in iraq and she's so brave"!!!! She doesn't know the half of it but it gives me such a warm feeling when she says these things! Bless the olds xx

You are still in a job that is regarded by many as admirable. I think ,no matter how old you get your family will still be proud. My old man has just paid for my mess dress because he is still as proud today as he was 17 odd years ago when I joined.

W

wgaf

The reaction on this site, and others, and the reaction from every serviceman/woman that I've spoken too recently, be they RAF, Army or Navy to the plights of Cpl Nick Lock and Gurkha Bahadur Pun.

S

Split-Brain

We the unwilling,

Led by the unknowing,

Working for the ungrateful,

Have been doing so much,

With so little,

For so long,

We can now do anything,

With absolutely nothing !!!!

It was accurate and true during my time as a "Cold War Warrior", and it sounds like it's every bit as true today.

Professsionalism, Professionalism, and Professionalism
We had it, and you guys have it. Be proud of yourselves because we are proud of you.

Mustang

Corporal
Why are you proud to be in the RAF?

I too was part of the thin Blue Line facing Ivan. I believe that we all did a good job under sometimes difficult circumstances. Being on a sqaudron was of course the best bit, all pulling together to get the job done.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

S

shoutingwind

24/30 (eng) sqn:

The impossible done at once, but miracles take a little longer

T

TheAntiChav

I am proud to be part of an organisation that can get someone from the Gulf to my door within 15 hours of the initial phone call.

Thank you to EVERYONE involved.

I hope you never need the JCC at Innsworth but they are brilliant. I am so impressed.
Thanks again.

it was a little over 24 hours from FI for me, can't argue with that, even uncle sam don't do it.

A few things that make me proud,
one is receiving a parcel addressed to “Raf Det” Afghanistan from a complete stranger who wants us to know he is thinking of us whilst were away from home and wants us to know how proud and grateful he is. Makes you realise people do value us.

Another is the amazing people we work with in the sh*t places.
Whilst OOA I’ve met some surgeons that I can only describe as ‘miracle workers’. They don’t sleep for days they fix injuries you think are un fixable and they smile all the time. Makes me proud to serve with them.

I’m still proud to serve.