• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would buy a Diesel

Craig855s

Sergeant
Who fancies buying the next generation of petrol engines??? Due to emissions and green rules the next BMW 3 series will have 4 cylinder turbo engines instead of 6 cylinders N/A. So the 328 will just be a 2 litre turbo...but a fecking quick one that can do 44MPG

A turbocharged car with "valvetronic" and "Vanos" will make anyone cry if the check engine light comes on outside of the warranty period. The same can be said of the VW engines that feature a supercharger and turbocharger

Be careful with the trade in! Loads of garages will shaft you with a high mileage car, even a diesel. Your average buyer doesn't understand the concept that diesels go on like the Duracell Bunny. i was quoted £3000 px against a £13k car for a 54 reg CLK manual, full leather that had 126k mileage and full Merc history. It still did 55+ to the gallon and fairly cheap to run outside of London. Only problem was it didn't like snow so now I'm a 4X4 driver missing his comforts and accelaration. Still i should avoid the ditching when the white stuff arrives.

actechy14

LAC
I drive a 1.7 cdti astra (2004) and its just clocked 128,000 miles. Guess what? Its fine. Service every 60k miles, 66mpg ish, only uses roughly 3 quarters of a tank to go from odiham to half an hours drive away from leuchars. The engine has never missed a beat. So this '2000rpm for 25mins.. bollocks. The only time I'm above 2k for any period of time is cruising at 70mph..

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
What brand of oil do you use?

60,000 service intervals is excellent.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I drive a 1.7 cdti astra (2004) and its just clocked 128,000 miles. Guess what? Its fine. Service every 60k miles, 66mpg ish, only uses roughly 3 quarters of a tank to go from odiham to half an hours drive away from leuchars. The engine has never missed a beat. So this '2000rpm for 25mins.. bollocks. The only time I'm above 2k for any period of time is cruising at 70mph..

I like the 1.7 Diesel engine.
I have an 03 Astra (58K) and it gets a service every year whether it wants it or no (20,000 miles or one year).

actechy14

LAC
If I'm honest, I haven't bought the best oil for it. It's actually overdue its 120k service by 8k, and although a bit smoky, still perfect.
I think with the mileage I'm gonna start changing the oil more regularly, just to be on the safe side. Just to mention aswell, despite rupturing the intake pipe for the turbo a while ago and running like this for 2 weeks, the turbo still has more than enough life left in it :)

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
If I'm honest, I haven't bought the best oil for it. It's actually overdue its 120k service by 8k, and although a bit smoky, still perfect.
I think with the mileage I'm gonna start changing the oil more regularly, just to be on the safe side. Just to mention aswell, despite rupturing the intake pipe for the turbo a while ago and running like this for 2 weeks, the turbo still has more than enough life left in it :)
What colour smoke you getting?

actechy14

LAC
Pretty dark smoke, only on initial start up (pretty normal) but more than usual when the turbo spins up, and only once the engines warmed up.

I also read somewhere (may have been this thread) that 2 stroke oil helps to clean the fuel out a bit? Don't fancy trying it though.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Pretty dark smoke, only on initial start up (pretty normal) but more than usual when the turbo spins up, and only once the engines warmed up.

I also read somewhere (may have been this thread) that 2 stroke oil helps to clean the fuel out a bit? Don't fancy trying it though.
It's a diesel it'll burn any oil chip included. just chuck a bit of kero in it

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

Black smoke is unburnt diesel.
Blue smoke is lubricating oil.
White exhaust isn't smoke, it is water vapour.

For black smoke try an injector cleaner at your next refuel. Forte do a decent one.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Black smoke is unburnt diesel.
Blue smoke is lubricating oil.w
White exhaust isn't smoke if it disappears a short time after it has left the exhaust, it is water vapour.

For black smoke try an injector cleaner at your next refuel. Forte do a decent one.

Your missing out Grey/White Acrid smelling smoke, which again is unburnt diesel, but on a bigger scale. This needs to be looked at urgently, especially if it is while you have you foot planted, and the car doesn't pick up as it should.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Reckon they will clean up the injectors with a service?
Only if you ask them.

To properly clean the injectors they need removing, stripping, cleaning, re-assembling then testing/adjusting before refitting..

Easiest first attempt is injector cleaner into the fuel.

Bad injectors can cause major damage to an engine.

This is >> one << I was involved in a few years ago.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
As I've said on other threads, 'Next time you fill up, get down to the 1/4 mark and put a tank of Shell V-Power in'. It costs a few pence more per litre, but weight that up against a bottle of diesel jollop.